Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

New XA-4 on the way! Got a ?
Old 03-29-2007   #1
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

New XA-4 on the way! Got a ?

Well I have an XA-4 on the way. My one question is: Can I manually set the ISO on DX coded film? The manual doesn't cover this and I develop most of my film in Diafine (1 stop faster) so it would be useful to set the speed manually. Of course I could just tape off the DX contacts...

Thanks,
Jared

Old 03-29-2007   #2
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemures-Ex
Well I have an XA-4 on the way. My one question is: Can I manually set the ISO on DX coded film? The manual doesn't cover this and I develop most of my film in Diafine (1 stop faster) so it would be useful to set the speed manually. Of course I could just tape off the DX contacts...
Hi Jared,

The XA-4 is a very nice camera, equipped with a great lens, but it is only usable in full-auto program mode. Except for the +1.5 EV backlight compensation, you have no control over shutter speed, aperture and... film speed. If your film is DX coded, then the ISO selector is disabled and you won't be able to select another film speed manually. My suggestion: try using film at nominal speed and soup it in Diafine as usual. You will get a slightly denser but perfectly usable negative and you might like it. I do

Cheers,

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 03-29-2007   #3
ben lloyd

There is no DX override. As you suggested you'll have to tape the contacts in the body, or over the coding on the film cassette. I'd do the latter so as to avoid any gooey residue developing over time.

Old 03-29-2007   #4
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

Thanks Abbazz. Never thought of shooting at normal film speed for Diafine but I'll certainly give it a go now.

I think I'll just end up taping over the DX contacts anyways so that I can use the ISO settings as an exposure control when needed.

Old 03-29-2007   #5
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

Ben: It's all about your choice of tape

Besides, remembering to tape all of the canisters would be a pain.

Old 03-29-2007   #6
jmilkins
Digited User

The little XA 4 is a top shooter Jared and the lens is one of, if not the best in the XA series. Check out it's close focus capacity too, whcih you can measure by extending the XA strap to it's full extension - that equals the minimum focus distance - .03m or 12" - neat!

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 03-29-2007   #7
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins
The little XA 4 is a top shooter Jared and the lens is one of, if not the best in the XA series. Check out it's close focus capacity too, whcih you can measure by extending the XA strap to it's full extension - that equals the minimum focus distance - .03m or 12" - neat!
All reasons I bought one. The most important thing for me though is the size. I wanted something really portable.

Anyone have any example photos?

Jared

Old 04-02-2007   #8
Xmas

Jared

I can be discrete with XA4, even photo people wont spot, last pic in posts.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=36033&page=4

Noel

Old 04-03-2007   #9
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas
Jared

I can be discrete with XA4, even photo people wont spot, last pic in posts.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=36033&page=4

Noel
I actually have sort of a thing for taking pictures of people taking pictures. Everyone I have photographed walking the streets with a digi SLR have never noticed me. They are clueless it would seem. I have stood practically in front of people with both my TLR and RF's and they have never noticed. I wonder if that is some kind of commentary on pepople who only shoot digital? Perhaps the "shoot lots of photos and pick out the good ones" mentality makes one not so observant?

XA-4 should be here today (it's 2am, so I still have a while )!

Jared