Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 03-27-2007   #41
dazedgonebye

Very cool to watch. How great would it have been to hang out with him a bit?
He was noticed quite a bit in that clip, but he did have a camera crew following him around so that likely drew much of the attention.

Inspiring clip.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 03-27-2007   #42
amateriat
We're all light!

I suppose one of us could put the Meyerowitz and Winogrand* videos side-by-side, with appelations such as "Street Photography: the Wrong Way/Street Photography: the Right Way", "Street Shooter: Ninja/Street Shooter: Plainclothes", or the like. I like Meyerowitz and his work, but I felt he was veering awfully close to parody in his clip (and not necessarily self-parody, either), whereas Winogrand had a just some guy, you know? demeanor which, more often than not, was the M.O. of most of the good and great photogrraphers I've had the good luck to rub elbows with more than once (Elliott Erwitt and Burk Uzzle come to mind).

- Barrett

*The Winogrand film crew, of course, was a real film crew, as WNET (and CBS's 60 minutes) still had a film unit or two back then. I often like to tease camera crews I encounter or directly deal with when it comes to nomenclature:

Camera Operator: We start filming in twenty minutes

Me: Uh, no, you're taping in twenty.

C.O.: Huh?

Me: You're not shooting film. You're shooting tape.

C.O.: What's the diff?

Me: You're went to school for this stuff, and I have to explain it to you?

C.O.: ****, this thing actually has a hard drive thingy in it. So #% off.

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-27-2007   #43
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK
>Now I want a hexar RF

The Hexar has gone from a lowly stepchild backup to my M7 to my front line camera. It is a really great camera.

Only a smidge louder then the M7 but having a top speed of 1/4000, the auto-winder, auto-loading/rewinding, self-timer, smaller than the M7 (when I had it fully equipped with the TA Rapidwinder and Grip), and 1/3 the cost of even a USED M7 makes it impossible to beat.

I feel myself slowly being cured of LS (Leica Syndrome) and comfortable in the knowledge that a camera doesn't have to be made by Leica in order to be excellent -- and to (hopefully) take great pictures.
I've got serious LS right now. i can't afford an M8 (or M7 for that matter). But a used M6 is doable. But I really really want a camera with AE. I was thinking of going bessa-R2A, but maybe I can stretch a bit and get a hexar. So it sounds like you're pretty happy with it...

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 03-27-2007   #44
amateriat
We're all light!

Hmm...based on eBay prices and the like, I think it's time to move Hexar futures up from "outperform" to "buy and hold".

(Not that I needed any convincing...)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Last edited by amateriat : 03-27-2007 at 18:04.

Old 03-27-2007   #45
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

>I was thinking of going bessa-R2A

Skip the Bessa with its short RF base and less than rugged RF design.

The Hexar is far closer to Leica in QA then the Bessa hopes to be. (I like the Bessa BTW...)

You will be able to find a Hexar RF here or on eBay in excellent or mint condition for $600 or less if you are patient. I just bought two "new" (for me) cameras in kits with the 50mm f/2 lens and flash for ~$1000. I sell the lenses for $400 to $500 so you do the math...

Old 03-27-2007   #46
amateriat
We're all light!

Stop it, Dave, you're cornering (and overheating) the market!

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-27-2007   #47
tedwhite

Barrett's right. If I ever want to buy one, clearly I'm screwed.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 03-27-2007   #48
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

Okay. I'll shuddup. Look away for a couple of days and it'll all be back to normal...

Old 03-27-2007   #49
tedwhite

I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted

Old 03-27-2007   #50
amateriat
We're all light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted
Ted: Were you able to download the video? I (or someone here, perhaps) could send you the Quicktime video, if that would help.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-28-2007   #51
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:

Ted

Hmmm. Ted - is it the technology or the content?

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 03-28-2007   #52
ChrisN
Striving

Another resource for those who have not already seen it: article by Mason Resnick - "Coffee and Workprints: A Workshop With Garry Winogrand"

http://www.photogs.com/bwworld/xtol1.html

Grab a copy of this - I don't think it will be around forever.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 03-28-2007   #53
tedwhite

Barrett:

No, I was not able to either view it online or download it. I tried everything. I disabled ZoneAlarm, AVG, Windows Guard-it-All, or whatever the hell it's called. No luck. I even joined Vimeo.

Anything you can do would help. My email is [email protected].

(Who is Martin Munkacsi?)

Old 03-28-2007   #54
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

Quote:

(Who is Martin Munkacsi?)
He's a dead guy who pretty much set the stage for Richard Avedon to define what a well-dressed woman was supposed to look like in a fashion magazine. Really.

He was also a damned good all-rounder; guy could take interesting pictures of anything he got pointed at. Started as a press photographer.

Tried to google his jaw-dropping 1920s picture of a motorcycle going through a puddle; no soap. Saw it in person in Manhattan two weeks ago, though, and it blew my fuses like no other photo ever has.

Old 03-28-2007   #55
photogdave
Shops local

Quote:
Holy smokes! This is the best argument ever to ditch Windows!

Leica M4, M6, CL
Voigtlander lenses
Pentax Optio 43 WR
Olympus Stylus Epic
Rolleiflex TLR
Nikon F100, D70

My Gallery

Old 03-28-2007   #56
Ash
Selflessly Self-involved

*strokes applemac logo*

Old 03-28-2007   #57
MikeL
Go Fish

Ted, it's in .mov format. You may need Quicktime or some other player to see it.

Old 03-28-2007   #58
telenous

Perhaps you 've read it before but I just came across this interview with Winogrand by Diamonstein

http://www.jnevins.com/garywinograndreading.htm

Although he tries to remain as elusive as ever, as well as resist the over-intellectualisation of his photography, there are, I think, some quite interesting comments that give an insight into his motives, aspirations and even technique.

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Last edited by telenous : 03-28-2007 at 08:21.

Who is Mukacsi?
Old 03-28-2007   #59

Who is Mukacsi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
He's a dead guy who pretty much set the stage for Richard Avedon to define what a well-dressed woman was supposed to look like in a fashion magazine. Really.

He was also a damned good all-rounder; guy could take interesting pictures of anything he got pointed at. Started as a press photographer.

Tried to google his jaw-dropping 1920s picture of a motorcycle going through a puddle; no soap. Saw it in person in Manhattan two weeks ago, though, and it blew my fuses like no other photo ever has.
I think you've seriously undersold Munkacsi, even as you've praised him. Seeing his work was a major life turning point for Cartier Bresson, who has been quoted at length to this effect.

His images of boys playing in the surf in Ivory Coast, and some of his work from the same period in Liberia, next door, pretty much redefined for HCB what the camera could do, and he quit painting as a result. The rest is history.

Munkacsi's work in Nazi Germany, before he went into exile and essentially became a fashion photographer, is also ground breaking, setting the stage for Leni Riefenstahl and others, as was his work in Brazil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aglimpseoftheworld/

http://www.howardwfrench.com/photos/

Last edited by [email protected] : 03-28-2007 at 08:33.

Old 03-28-2007   #60
john_van_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG
Ash thanks for this, but does anyone else think that Winogrand came across as slightly "creepy"
It so happens he was my upstairs neighbor as I was growing up.

I have to look at this video. I got interested in him again as I started thinking back on my own teenagehood photojournalist career.

When I was trucking I was laid over in Savannah, GA and I visited the Sav Coll of Art & Des library and read up on him. I was quite surprised to see a woman in one of HIS picts that is in one of MY picts. We hit the same woman,damn!! It must have been her plasticy hair.

I cannot say anything about him personally, but I knew his son a little-- NOW there was one creepy boy!!

From both psychology, education, and school bus driving, I can say that odd behaviors are transmitted thru the young. When a kid was bad on the bus, it was pointless to try to set things straight, as the kid's parent was waiting at the stop, sometimes w/ a gun !!

As they say, "the nut doesnt fall far from the tree." So yes, he may have been creepy.

Old 03-28-2007   #61
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
You mean like this one?

Couldn't find the picture in a bigger resolution on the net so far..

But I found a couple of others here and here.

Amazing work. Didn't know so far..
Auto: NikonL35AF, OlympusMyu2
Fix: Felica, BiloraStahlBox
Digital: CanonS1IS(RIP), Ricoh GX100, SonyDSCU20(RIP)
[/size]

Old 03-28-2007   #62
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

Yes, that's the one.

The print I saw in person was easily 300mm tall. Quite impressive.

Missing links
Old 03-28-2007   #63

Missing links

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansDerHase
You mean like this one?

Couldn't find the picture in a bigger resolution on the net so far..

But I found a couple of others here and here.

Amazing work. Didn't know so far..

Where are the links?

Old 03-28-2007   #64
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

Embedded links don't change color or automatically get underlined on this board. Run your mouse across his post; they'll blink at you.

Old 03-28-2007   #65
john_van_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_van_v
It so happens he was my upstairs neighbor as I was growing up.

I have to look at this video. I got interested in him again as I started thinking back on my own teenagehood photojournalist career.

When I was trucking I was laid over in Savannah, GA and I visited the Sav Coll of Art & Des library and read up on him. I was quite surprised to see a woman in one of HIS picts that is in one of MY picts. We hit the same woman,damn!! It must have been her plasticy hair.

As they say, "the nut doesnt fall far from the tree." So yes, he may have been creepy.
Actually, I can remember his last moments.

He chainsmoked, as I recall, and it gave him cancer.

Nothing we could do for him worked, as it usually doesn't in lung cancer cases, and he went to Mexico.

He died in a Laetril clinic.

Old 03-29-2007   #66
principe azul
Ian

Alternative formats for the Winogrand vid