Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 03-26-2007   #26
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogdave
I think he would probably have liked a high end digi point and shoot
Seeing the pace of his action I suspect he would'nt have liked shutterlag

BTW: Seeing him jerking around his camera I think all deep and complex theories about Garrys camera tilt are now obsolete. It just happened. He wants to look like he's just playing around - not beeing serious.

Of course later when editing his pictures I'm sure he considered the right amount of tilt, for it is essential for the picture to "grow legs".

...ah yes and... THANKS ASH !!! *bow*

I wonder if it's possible to cature the video, keeping it safe? Anyone knows?
Auto: NikonL35AF, OlympusMyu2
Fix: Felica, BiloraStahlBox
Digital: CanonS1IS(RIP), Ricoh GX100, SonyDSCU20(RIP)
[/size]

Last edited by HansDerHase : 03-26-2007 at 09:50.

Old 03-26-2007   #27
doitashimash1te

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansDerHase
I wonder if it's possible to cature the video, keeping it safe? Anyone knows?
Sure, no problem. After registering on vimeo.com you can download the video. I did that and now I have it on my iPod. Its audio i one-channel only, I think I'll fix that because the lack of sound in my right ear is a bit annoying.

And yes: Ash, thanks a LOT! Great find indeed!!!

Last edited by doitashimash1te : 03-26-2007 at 09:58.

Old 03-26-2007   #28
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

>i think he would have liked the hexar rf.

I know I do. I've just bought my third and indefinitely shelved my M7.

Thanks Ash for the video link. I have doing some serious history of street photography homework and this fit right in.

Old 03-26-2007   #29
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK
>i think he would have liked the hexar rf.

I know I do. I've just bought my third and indefinitely shelved my M7.

Thanks Ash for the video link. I have doing some serious history of street photography homework and this fit right in.
You've just induced serious hexar gas. I hadn't known much about them and your post made me do a little research. Now I want a hexar RF and AF dammit! I was thinking of an bessa-r2a, but now maybe the hexar would be a better bet, and does so much more, if I can find one.

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 03-26-2007   #30
amateriat
We're all light!

All this Hexarcana. Remember, folks, I had nothing to do with this.

-Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-26-2007   #31
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

>Now I want a hexar RF

The Hexar has gone from a lowly stepchild backup to my M7 to my front line camera. It is a really great camera.

Only a smidge louder then the M7 but having a top speed of 1/4000, the auto-winder, auto-loading/rewinding, self-timer, smaller than the M7 (when I had it fully equipped with the TA Rapidwinder and Grip), and 1/3 the cost of even a USED M7 makes it impossible to beat.

I feel myself slowly being cured of LS (Leica Syndrome) and comfortable in the knowledge that a camera doesn't have to be made by Leica in order to be excellent -- and to (hopefully) take great pictures.

Old 03-27-2007   #32
reub2000

Anyone have a link that doesn't require flash?

Old 03-27-2007   #33
DMG
waiting for friday

Ash thanks for this, but does anyone else think that Winogrand came across as slightly "creepy"

flickR

Old 03-27-2007   #34
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I didn't really think he came across as creepy. Especially compare to Meyerowitz in his street ninja mode.

It was fun to watch him work. I like his attitude very much, and it comes across better on tape than it does in a transcript. It's not the first time I've heard the "there isn't a story, how can a single frame tell a story?" argument, but it's the first time I could accept it (even if I don't agree).

Thanks Ash.

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 03-27-2007   #35
DMG
waiting for friday

the Meyerowitz one is funny, he's dressed like the SWAT captain from Hill St Blues...

flickR

Old 03-27-2007   #36
Joerg
Dilettant

Winograd's style is admirable.
Meyerowitz on the otherhand is just wacko in his video. IMHO there are two reasons he does not get beaten up , he does look creepy and in NYC you never know....... and second there are probably two big body guards behind the camera protecting him.....

;-)

Ciao
joerg

Old 03-27-2007   #37
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg
Winograd's style is admirable.
Meyerowitz on the otherhand is just wacko in his video. IMHO there are two reasons he does not get beaten up , he does look creepy and in NYC you never know....... and second there are probably two big body guards behind the camera protecting him.....

;-)

Ciao
joerg
Meyerowitz is also very tall. So tall and creepy is actually a safe combination.
A little known fact that HCB was also quite tall(he also stood above the crowd) and yet managed to get blended in the crowd.

My Blog\Photoblog

Old 03-27-2007   #38
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

>Winogrand came across as slightly "creepy"

I didn't think so.

>So tall and creepy is actually a safe combination.

Well, I'm 6'5" so I like the "tall" part of getting away with be a street photographer -- but I'm not so sure I like the "creepy" part...

But, seriously, I've never had a problem even in the semi-frequent times when I am noticed.

It looks like I'm in good company, though, when it comes to being tall.

Old 03-27-2007   #39
tedwhite

I got followed around in downtown Tucson a few weeks ago by a very creepy guy with long, dirty hair. I finally turned and confronted him. Turned out he was an undercover cop and was following me not because he thought I was breaking the law but because he couldn't figure out why I was taking pictures of..."anything interesting. Just that guy crossing the street...do you know that guy?"

Ted

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 03-27-2007   #40
Chuck A
Chuck A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
I got followed around in downtown Tucson a few weeks ago by a very creepy guy with long, dirty hair. I finally turned and confronted him. Turned out he was an undercover cop and was following me not because he thought I was breaking the law but because he couldn't figure out why I was taking pictures of..."anything interesting. Just that guy crossing the street...do you know that guy?"

Ted
This is funny. I don't know how many times over the years I have had to explain what I am taking a photo of and why. Digital makes it a bit easier as you can show them the photos. People always think that because you are photographing something that it is somehow extraordinary and they want to know what that is. But most walk away shaking their head.

I found it interesting that even with his quiet M4 Winogrand was noticed taking photos quite often. At least in this video. Even with the quietest camera I get noticed often. He didn't seem to worry too much about it and just kept moving. I love his answer to the lady who asks "What's happening" Winogrand says:"I'm surviving and laughs" I gotta try that one.

He probably would have liked the depth of field of the digital compacts. I don't think that he made large prints. Look at the show in the video, most prints look to be A4 or so. Shutter lag would have been the major issue though. You just couldn't comfortably shoot in his style of work with any degree of shutter lag. I have gone through alot of digitals because of this problem.

Anyway, superb post and great video. This type of video is few and far between.

My Pbase Gallery

'The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process.' -Edward Weston

Thanks & God Bless,
Chuck

Olympus RC
Olympus Stylus Epic
61LD 52mm f/2.8 SM
Olympus E-PL2, Lumix 14mm f/2.8, Olympus 17mm f/2.8

Last edited by Chuck A : 03-27-2007 at 07:36.

Old 03-27-2007   #41
dazedgonebye

Very cool to watch. How great would it have been to hang out with him a bit?
He was noticed quite a bit in that clip, but he did have a camera crew following him around so that likely drew much of the attention.

Inspiring clip.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 03-27-2007   #42
amateriat
We're all light!

I suppose one of us could put the Meyerowitz and Winogrand* videos side-by-side, with appelations such as "Street Photography: the Wrong Way/Street Photography: the Right Way", "Street Shooter: Ninja/Street Shooter: Plainclothes", or the like. I like Meyerowitz and his work, but I felt he was veering awfully close to parody in his clip (and not necessarily self-parody, either), whereas Winogrand had a just some guy, you know? demeanor which, more often than not, was the M.O. of most of the good and great photogrraphers I've had the good luck to rub elbows with more than once (Elliott Erwitt and Burk Uzzle come to mind).

- Barrett

*The Winogrand film crew, of course, was a real film crew, as WNET (and CBS's 60 minutes) still had a film unit or two back then. I often like to tease camera crews I encounter or directly deal with when it comes to nomenclature:

Camera Operator: We start filming in twenty minutes

Me: Uh, no, you're taping in twenty.

C.O.: Huh?

Me: You're not shooting film. You're shooting tape.

C.O.: What's the diff?

Me: You're went to school for this stuff, and I have to explain it to you?

C.O.: Dude, this thing actually has a hard drive thingy in it. So #µ©% off.

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-27-2007   #43
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK
>Now I want a hexar RF

The Hexar has gone from a lowly stepchild backup to my M7 to my front line camera. It is a really great camera.

Only a smidge louder then the M7 but having a top speed of 1/4000, the auto-winder, auto-loading/rewinding, self-timer, smaller than the M7 (when I had it fully equipped with the TA Rapidwinder and Grip), and 1/3 the cost of even a USED M7 makes it impossible to beat.

I feel myself slowly being cured of LS (Leica Syndrome) and comfortable in the knowledge that a camera doesn't have to be made by Leica in order to be excellent -- and to (hopefully) take great pictures.
I've got serious LS right now. i can't afford an M8 (or M7 for that matter). But a used M6 is doable. But I really really want a camera with AE. I was thinking of going bessa-R2A, but maybe I can stretch a bit and get a hexar. So it sounds like you're pretty happy with it...

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 03-27-2007   #44
amateriat
We're all light!

Hmm...based on eBay prices and the like, I think it's time to move Hexar futures up from "outperform" to "buy and hold".

(Not that I needed any convincing...)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Last edited by amateriat : 03-27-2007 at 18:04.

Old 03-27-2007   #45
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

>I was thinking of going bessa-R2A

Skip the Bessa with its short RF base and less than rugged RF design.

The Hexar is far closer to Leica in QA then the Bessa hopes to be. (I like the Bessa BTW...)

You will be able to find a Hexar RF here or on eBay in excellent or mint condition for $600 or less if you are patient. I just bought two "new" (for me) cameras in kits with the 50mm f/2 lens and flash for ~$1000. I sell the lenses for $400 to $500 so you do the math...

Old 03-27-2007   #46
amateriat
We're all light!

Stop it, Dave, you're cornering (and overheating) the market!

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-27-2007   #47
tedwhite

Barrett's right. If I ever want to buy one, clearly I'm screwed.

Old 03-27-2007   #48
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

Okay. I'll shuddup. Look away for a couple of days and it'll all be back to normal...

Old 03-27-2007   #49
tedwhite

I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted

Old 03-27-2007   #50
amateriat
We're all light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted
Ted: Were you able to download the video? I (or someone here, perhaps) could send you the Quicktime video, if that would help.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.