Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > Critique / Salon / Picks / Most Views

Critique #67 *Open Theme* 5 Participants + 1 Guest
Old 01-11-2007   #1
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

Lightbulb Critique #67 *Open Theme* 5 Participants + 1 Guest

Welcome to this critique thread. Please read the purpose statement and the guidelines/ground rules regarding participation.

Purpose
The primary purpose of this thread is to provide a forum where photographers can give and receive constructive criticism on one another's photographs. By setting up some basic guidelines we hope that this thread will provide a forum where the give and take of honest constructive criticism can help us become better photographers.

Guidelines/Ground Rules
The thread has very specific rules regarding participation. The one basic rule is that you cannot provide criticism on an image or comment in a critique thread unless you also have an image posted. To post an image to this thread you must be a participant. Participation in this thread is limited. Here are the guidelines and ground rules for participation:

• Participation in this thread is limited to 5 photographers
• Participants join the thread by posting their intention. You can simply reply with your intent to join by posting something like: "I'm joining," "I'm in," or just state your name
• Joining is on a "first come, first served" basis. The first 5 to reply become the participants.
• Please, only join this thread if you are able post an image within 24 hours of joining.
• Once the thread has 5 participants, no other photographers can join or participate in the thread
• Once the thread is full of participants all photographers will upload their image(s)
• Please abide by any thematic requirement (e.g., landscape, portrait, etc.)
•The number of photos for each participant is limited to one
• Photographers attach photos as thumbnails (no inline images or links)
• Photos should be standard screen resolution (72~90) and the longest side of the image approximately 10 inches in length.
• Photographers post their images supplying titles (if any) and other pertinent information (the amount of information should be minimal)
• Photographers can only comment on their own images and reply to comments only when everyone else in the thread has posted their comments on the image
• Every participant must comment on every photo (except their own—initially)
• Every participant must make at least two comments, one positive comment, and one constructive criticism (which is actually two positive comments)
• Once every photographer has commented then a free flowing discussion begins. It is at this point that every photographer can comment on their own work and reply to comments, ask questions, etc.
• The participants decide when the thread closes.

What's a Guest?
A guest is a participating member of the thread who does not need to post a picture. The guest is an exception to the guideline that states all participants must post an image. Guests provide criticism just as the other participants do. Guests are also encouraged to act as moderators, to encourage elaboration, to guide discussion and examine latent concepts brought about as a result of the discussion.
Note: Not all threads will have a guest. See the title/subject line for the '+Guest' designation.

If you'd like to participate in a critique thread and need some ideas about how to proceed with viewing images critically, you may find this thread helpful:

How do you look at photos

You can also provide feedback on critique threads here:

Critique Feedback Thread

Remember: Please do not provide criticism on an image or comment in a critique thread unless you also have an image posted.

This thread is now active, please follow the guidelines if you'd like to participate! Have Fun!

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Last edited by RayPA : 01-11-2007 at 20:08.

Old 01-11-2007   #2
RayPA

For Guest description see the Guidelines above.
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 01-11-2007   #3
dazedgonebye

I'm in Ray.
Open theme is 'anything?'

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-11-2007   #4
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye
I'm in Ray.
Open theme is 'anything?'
Hi Steve!

Yes. Any theme (landscape, portrait, street, fashion, wildlife, etc.). Thanks for joining.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 01-11-2007   #5
emraphoto

count me in...
john

Old 01-11-2007   #6
jmilkins
Digited User

In like Flynn. Me too.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 01-12-2007   #7
nico

I'm in,
Nico

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member
Julius Henry Marx

My PhotoBlog

My iphoto.blog

Cicuta237 On Flickr

Old 01-13-2007   #8
RayPA

Looking for one more + a guest. Anyone?

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 01-13-2007   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

[as Guest]: Me?

Raid

Old 01-14-2007   #10
nico

Raid, you're welcome as guest, I'm sure will give interesting contributions for the critique and the free flowing discussion.
So, there's only one partecipant missing...anyone wants to join?
N.

Julius Henry Marx

My PhotoBlog

My iphoto.blog

Cicuta237 On Flickr

Old 01-14-2007   #11
jmilkins
Digited User

Come on folks - open theme ! Join up ;-)

My gallery
The FlickR

Old 01-14-2007   #12
Warren T.

okay, i'll help you get the ball rolling .

I'm in...

--Warren
My web galleries site: www.viewfindersf.com

Old 01-14-2007   #13
nico

Thanks Warren. Here is mine:
"The Box"
BessaL+Skopar21+Slidefilm

Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Box.jpg (294.4 KB, 35 views)

Julius Henry Marx

My PhotoBlog

My iphoto.blog

Cicuta237 On Flickr

Old 01-14-2007   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks, Nico. I will postpone my commenting until everybody has had the chance to comment on everybody's posted images.

Raid

Old 01-14-2007   #15
Warren T.

here's mine: "Bonsai Abstract"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc2_0001-web.jpg (112.8 KB, 36 views)

Old 01-15-2007   #16
jmilkins
Digited User

City Hatters .
Bessa R3a CV15 @4.5 1/8th sec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City-Hatters.jpg (296.2 KB, 38 views)

My gallery
The FlickR

Old 01-15-2007   #17
emraphoto

here goes... china town!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img297.jpg (158.1 KB, 42 views)

Old 01-16-2007   #18
Warren T.

Bump... waiting on Steve.

Old 01-17-2007   #19
dazedgonebye

Wow...sorry guys. I confused myself on which of these I signed up for and thought I missed out on this one.
Here it comes.

At the Getty

Balda Baldix 6x6 folder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abalda2.jpg (99.5 KB, 38 views)

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-17-2007   #20
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico
Thanks Warren. Here is mine:
"The Box"
BessaL+Skopar21+Slidefilm

Nico
My first critique comment...I hope I'm in line with the spirit here.

I like the image overall and the composition in particular. Including a single man-made object in the composition adds impact…perhaps makes a statement about man’s intrusion in to nature. The horizon is on one of the thirds as is the box. It all says that the composition was thought out.
It looks like the lighting was a challenge…not blowing the sky and still retaining detail in the foreground…perhaps more so using slide film? I would want to post process (wet or digital) to reveal a bit more of the foreground and control the highlights in the sky before a final print.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-17-2007   #21
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren T.
here's mine: "Bonsai Abstract"
Neat image. I very much like the stark black and white. If you had not included bonsai in the title, I’d have no idea of the scale of the thing (a cool feature of the image for my taste).
A slightly tighter crop of the upper right might improve the composition…but I’m really just reaching for a constructive comment with that one.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-17-2007   #22
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins
City Hatters .
Bessa R3a CV15 @4.5 1/8th sec
Very interesting use of scale here. I’m wondering if there aren’t some very tiny men shopping there for hats. For me, it has a look of nostalgia. Certainly in my part of the world, you would no longer find this sort of shop.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-17-2007   #23
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto
here goes... china town!
Great catch. I see mirror images on several levels here. The man appears to be a Westerner so there is the East/West mirror as well as the man/woman mirror. They are moving I opposite directions, but both have assumed the same stance, with hands held behind their backs.
I aspire to this sort of image, so I’m having difficulty finding any constructive comment to make.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-17-2007   #24
emraphoto

thanx steve
those are kind words. truth be told i used to live in china town in vancouver and spent EVERYDAY down there shooting. literally hundreds of rolls... i guess i became a staple down there. so i as well aspired to that kind of work and was BLESSED WITH THE OPPURTUNITY to make it happen.
i really like what you were going for in your shot. it's a good eye and you should stick with it. a real "dual/opposing worlds" affair...
cheers
john

Old 01-19-2007   #25
jmilkins
Digited User

Nico "The Box"

Nico - the box seems quite enigmatic and it leaves intriguing questions unanswered: “ What was in it? Where did it come from? Why is it there?” It’s quite a moody picture too – a dark sky and a grainy sort of feeling.
I like your placement of the box in the image. The eye is drawn to it, then to the lighter sky and then back to ponder those questions. While it might seem slightly underexposed, I think it works here.

Warren “Bonsai abstract’

Great one Warren. It first looks like a street tree with a multi-storey building in the background , but then I get the scale right, and it’s a different scene altogether. It is a well seen, well shot image. I particularly like the way the edges of the blinds go soft on the edges, especially on the right side of the image.

John China town

This is fantastic John – you’ve really caught the essence of RF street photography here for me and nailed the decisive moment! I love the duality of the image – 1 person travelling/facing one way, the other opposite, but both with their hands clasped behind them. Both going about their business, but absorbed in their own worlds. I like the tones you’ve got out of the image while retaining detail in the blacks. Nice work.

Steve “At the Getty”

There’s a lot happening in this one Steve. I think the square format is great here – it adds a certain order to the scene, but doesn’t impose a hierarchy of where to look first. So my first impression was “what’s the subject?” but then my eye is drawn to the lighter parts of the scene. The chance arrangement of the figures works well – I go from the pram and couple on the right, to the lookout, the stairs, the other pram , and then to the shadows and the foreground couple. There’s even a view form them to the final figure back through the light on the left. I like the way the eye can wander through the image picking up interest. The lighting is lovely, imparting a delicacy to the stonework pillars. Nicely exposed and seen!

My gallery
The FlickR