Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF

Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF A dedicated forum to the first Digital rangefinder camera.

Old 01-06-2007   #26
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

Great work, Rich!

Quote:
I became increasingly disatisfied with my 10D: I wanted a camera that I could dominate totally, not one that made decisions for me.....Unfortunately, no one makes a compact, basic digital SLR with manual controls. I can, of course, turn off automation in my 10D, use small prime lenses, etc., but modern cameras don’t make this easy (manual focusing, for example, is awkward, with no split prism and no depth-of-field markings), and I would still have to contend with the camera’s bulkiness.
Quoting above from your blog, there is a way to make one out of an ordinary DSLR. I've been able to 'dominate' my Canon 350 D (and 300D) by setting it to M and ignoring the other modes, except perhaps AV, and fitting a manual focus with manually set aperture M42 lens on it. Most M42 lenses have the scales and everything else which would make it totally passive to your whims and desires

The 350D is small and tiny. For all intents, a DSLR fitted with a manual focus lens and used only in its manual mode works just like a traditional, all-manual film SLR. Lag is limited to the mirror action, just like what an old-fashioned 35mm SLR would have. No time is lost with an AF lens trying to find focus or the camera's circuits trying to decide which sort of exposure it should have for a particular situation.

Yes, manual focusing is really difficult with the screens found on the Canon 350 D. I've replaced the screens in my Canon DSLRs with split screens scavenged from parts which came from old manual focus SLRs. This entails some effort, but one which is not different from what will be required when adjusting the R-D1. I also am looking at the possibility of getting an adapter equipped with an emulator chip which will activate the camera's focus confirmation.

My converted-to-manual DSLRs and the R-D1s go hand in hand; both take me back to the days when shooting was simple and uncomplicated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1226.jpg (36.6 KB, 99 views)

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

ZorkiKat.com

Old 01-07-2007   #27
Plasmat
-

One thing I can't see in removing the top cover.

How do you get the menu selector gnurled knob off? There's a screw with two little "pinholes".

Do you use a tiny spanner wrench? I can't get it off and I'm afraid to force it.

Old 01-07-2007   #28
LCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC
...keep the feedback coming...
Congrats Rich, i didn't have enough time free to read it all but yours looks like a great site indeed.
About 'Collapsible lenses' might i suggest to warn that the current Elmar 50/2.8 can NOT collapse fully without touching something in the body when focus ring is set to infinity.
Same for the Elmar 50/2.8 from 1994 (M6J).
Best,
LCT

Old 01-07-2007   #29
Plasmat
-

I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the lens tube when a collapsible lens is extended.

That way, I won't accidently push it into the shutter.

Old 01-07-2007   #30
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmat
One thing I can't see in removing the top cover.How do you get the menu selector gnurled knob off? There's a screw with two little "pinholes".
The selector knob doesn't have to come off to remove the top plate: the whole selector mechanism stays in the top plate. I'll clarify that on my website.

PS: I assume it would come off with a pin wrench though.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Last edited by RichC : 01-07-2007 at 06:36.

Old 01-07-2007   #31
LCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmat
I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the lens tube when a collapsible lens is extended...
Great minds think alike.

Old 01-07-2007   #32
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Hmmm.. has anyone, Rich or otherwise, used an alternative method such as the Copperhill method to clean the sensor on the R-D1?

Curious before he thinks about buying,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 01-07-2007   #33
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsang
has anyone ... used an alternative method such as the Copperhill method to clean the sensor on the R-D1?
A blower suffices, usually. However, I've needed to clean it once thoroughly, and used my DIY sensor brush. See: http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ur_Sensor.html

<rant on> I agree with everything that Petteri says: the commercial Sensor Brush folk talk pseudo-science rubbish, trying to baffle you with techno-babble. (I've a degree in a physical science, and companies/adverts (cosmetics ads come to mind...!) that use meaningless "science" to pull the wool over people's eyes annoys me intensely. </rant off>

Sorry... back to sensor cleaning. A DIY sensor brush is the quickest and easiest method for thoroughly cleaning a sensor. Other methods such as Copperhill are fine, but more laborious.

-=Rich=-

Old 01-07-2007   #34
dreamsandart

Would just like too thank Rich and everyone for all the R-D1 information available. Reading this thread last night and looking at Rich's help site I finally got around to adjusting the vertical alinement on my new R-D1 [ rather than send it in under warranty and wait ]. It wasn't out a lot, but the difference in ease of focus is much better and was very easy to do.

Thanks again,

Old 01-08-2007   #35
RML
Just live it.

Cleaning the sensor is easy with a cotton swab and some alcohol ketonatis (70%). I've cleaned my R-D1's sensor several times this way. I explained it all on my blog. As always, continue at your own risk.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 01-25-2007   #36
rsl
Russell

Rich, thanks for the really useful information. The information on adjusting the rangefinder at infinity was especially helpful for me. My refurb R-D1 arrived with an incredibly dirty sensor and a rangefinder that was way out of alignment at infinity. It also had a very thick, adhesive-attached LCD protector. Had to remove the protector, clean the LCD screen and install a nice clear ScreenPatronus protector in its place. The sensor contamination wasn't dust; it evidently was oil. CopperHill cleaning cleared up that problem and your clear instructions on adjusting the rangefinder solved that one. Evidently the Epson R-D1 folks feel that "refurbish" means toss it into a box and ship it. Love the camera though.

www.FineArtSnaps.com

Old 03-25-2007   #37
ralgo

i acquired a r-d1 a short time ago, having first been obliged to hand it to the repair shop!

many a question pops-up, concerning ............... and now, i have an answering location.

thank you, rich ............ and those who have supplied much of the data.

greetings to all, b.

Firmware upgrade is available from Epson site
Old 03-31-2007   #38
Philip Whiteman

Firmware upgrade is available from Epson site

May I echo the appreciation of your excellent information resource, Rich.

I too could find no version 2.0 firmware download on Epson UK's website until a friend (thanks Etienne) pointed out that it could be got to via the R-D1 'FAQ' pages and, specifically, the question 'can I upgrade my R-D1 to the R-D1s?' http://http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FAQListing.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=F574FCB25EA26FB50358AC2CC6834B6AE813E64E4C CFD6698D3710F198E90E44&T=209

The dowload is there; it's just that it's well concealed. One more R-D1 becomes an R-D1s!

Last edited by Philip Whiteman : 03-31-2007 at 03:51.

Your taste in cameras & bikes
Old 09-07-2007   #39
Gabeb

Your taste in cameras & bikes

EXCELLENT !

Thanks for the needed Epson resource - I had forgotten how beautiful the Vee Guzzis are.

Super Angulon 21/3.4 is not a problematic lens!
Old 11-13-2007   #40
xoDox

Super Angulon 21/3.4 is not a problematic lens!

Hi Rich,

Great site and very informative. Thanks. Just a little comment regarding Super Angulon 21mm F3.4 lens. You mentioned SA as a problematic lens for R-D1. I 'm using it quite often with R-D1 and there is no problem attaching it to the camera -- just be careful. Perhaps this setup is not recommended for people with Parkinson's disease, but for the rest of us it's fine. With SA attached R-D1 loses auto exposure metering capacity, however, this is a small thing with digitals. Here is an example of the picture with SA 21/3.4.

Vassily
Attached Images
File Type: gif EPSN1801_1sm.gif (244.1 KB, 117 views)

Old 11-26-2007   #41
bchang

Rich, thanks for your work!

May I point out that a vintage collapsable Elmar 90mm/4 when fully collapsed, the tube will extend past the lens mount exactly 20.5 mm, just the limit stated by Epson. But on my rd1s, after mounting this collapsable Elmar 90mm, when I tried to collapse it, something block the lens tube after it has collapsed for about 6-7mm.

Old 12-07-2007   #42
PhotoBob
Photoboy

Thanks for info I got an RD-1S in June 2007 and am loving every minute of it.
I need more time !!!!

WWW.Framelinesphoto.com

Leopard+R-D1+Aperture
Old 01-16-2008   #43
triplefinger

Leopard+R-D1+Aperture

Has anyone solved the Leopard+R-D1+Aperture problem?

I'm trying to get it going before a total switch to lightroom

thanks, mike

best contact: mikematzdorff AT gmail DOT com

==========================

Canon P - nikkor 50/1.4 - fed 50/3.5 - Holga lens in M mount! GH2 VL 25/0.95 + nikons 35/2, 50/1.2, 55/1.2, 85/1.8

==========================

Old 02-15-2008   #44
paragon

Great Site - absorbing

Is the difference between the RD 1 and the RD 1S only the firmware upgrade

I have almost made the decision

Cheers

Old 02-15-2008   #45
Jim Watts
Still trying to See.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon
Great Site - absorbing

Is the difference between the RD 1 and the RD 1S only the firmware upgrade

I have almost made the decision

Cheers
YES no real difference.

Old 02-15-2008   #46
paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watts
YES no real difference.
Thanks Mate

appreciation!
Old 04-08-2008   #47
tajart

appreciation!

a note of appreciation for the wealth of useful, very useful information RichC has assembled- thank you!
having finally found an rd1, i was able to do the firmware upgrade easily- nice! however, now i notice a slight noise somewhere in the top plate when i move the body, rotating on a for/backward axis- everything seems to be functioning as it should; perhaps a couple of those nasty little dead pixels got dislodged after mapping...
now await arrival of patronus screen protector.
thank you RichC,
tomj

Old 04-09-2008   #48
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajart View Post
i notice a slight noise somewhere in the top plate when i move the body, rotating on a for/backward axis
That's normal. I forget exactly what causes it now - I think it may be the orientation sensor...

-=Rich=-

Old 04-09-2008   #49
efkbl

The R-D1(s) doesn't have an orientation sensor, so it must be something else. On my R-D1 I don't hear anything when moving it, maybe a loose screw or something like that?

And by the way, thank you too for all the information available at your site, it helped me a great deal repairing the dead R-D1 I bought!

Old 04-09-2008   #50
RichC

Doh! You're right - I sold my R-D1 last year to get an M8, and my memory's obviously going!!

Anyway, my and my friend's R-D1 both had a faint rattle from new when shaken gently (his fainter than mine), so I doubt it's worth worrying about - just something moving that may be a looser fit on some cameras than others.

-=Rich=-