Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 02-04-2005   #101
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

At the risk of causing any offence:

Bugger the vote, we've got the list on the sign up thread, I think the idea of everyone putting a roll through is probably the best, as this has two distinct advantages:
1. You're not at all limited to someone else's favourite film, and
2. We'll see more diversity with a combination of film speeds, colour/b&w, etc.

So here's the deal: It'll take me a week or so (with current committments) to get a damaged C35 checked out and sorted for this, and so if nothing else happens, I'll run a roll through it (once I've sorted batteries) and start at this end. If someone else wants to start elsewhere and earlier, I have no problem, just let me know - just about any camera is better for the job than this one, except that this one is worth nothing, which is a bit of a plus.

Cheers,
Steve
(hey, Aussies here - does Tandy sell hearing aid batteries?)

Old 02-04-2005   #102
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

I forgot to mention: It seems to me the best place to show the photos (at least short term) is to just put a project gallery together here at RFF.

'nuff from me.

Cheers,
Steve

Old 02-04-2005   #103
Krasnaya_Zvezda
Fotoapparat Kollektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ph3nm
At the risk of causing any offence:

Bugger the vote, we've got the list on the sign up thread, I think the idea of everyone putting a roll through is probably the best, as this has two distinct advantages:
1. You're not at all limited to someone else's favourite film, and
2. We'll see more diversity with a combination of film speeds, colour/b&w, etc.

Cheers,
Steve
(hey, Aussies here - does Tandy sell hearing aid batteries?)
I might point out, Steve, that a large part of the idea here seems to be to maintain some commonality, one camera, one film, one shot--- as if we literally passed the same camera with an infinitely long roll of film in it, from one hand to the next. I argue for a consensus on one film to be used by all, I don't personally care what it is, be it Tri-X, Fortepan, or Bluefire Police, whatever, the individual photographer's vision is the thing, all portrayed thru the same medium.

"Don't think, even--- the brain is a bit dangerous..."
--- Henri Cartier-Bresson

KZ

My Gallery

Old 02-04-2005   #104
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

Okay, good point.

Well, as I've said, we've got about a week while I check out this silly little camera and make sure it's good to go. If someone could quickly put together a poll on some of the ideas presented in this thread, we could quickly (over the next few days) vote on film/format/etc. and then no-one can be considered steamrolling.

I'd set up the poll myself, but I've got a few time constraints as it is, this week.

Cheers,
Steve

Old 02-05-2005   #105
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ph3nm
Well, I've got a Konica C35 which is a little damaged (can't focus it really close, the lens has had a ding, once) but seems to work fine. What batteries do these little jiggers take? I'll run a test roll through it, if you guys like, and it'd be a perfect donor camera - it doesn't even need to come back to me.

I'll start testing as soon as I get it going...

Cheers,
Steve
That rig takes the "Wein" cell. (old Mercury cell replacement) Pretty cheap, and I'll slap a new one in it, before sending it to the next recipient.

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 02-05-2005   #106
GeneW
aka StarbuckGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
I agree with KZ, one camera, 3 days, each photog chooses 1 pic from their own roll of film.
This sounds clean, simple, and doable.

Gene

Old 02-05-2005   #107
FrankS

If we want to go with all the same film, I would suggest a C41 chromogenic type like Ilford or Kodak that can be processed by any drugstore/supermarket fim minilab. This would make it doable for those photogs who do not process their own.

I guess good poll questions would be: same type of film, or photog's choice of film? and if the same film, colour or B+W?

I would vote for the same type of film to be used by all, to give greater continuity, like KZ said, an infinite long roll of film in the same camera passing between us around the world.

There was an offer a while ago of a Leica M2 to use to pass around. Let's consider that!

Old 02-05-2005   #108
Allen Gilman

I would vote for the photographer to use their own type of film. Those who develop can do their own film, those who don't can take it in to a lab. But I'm curious to know why continuity in images would be desired. This would be an international project w/ a diversity of photographers so why not embrace that diversity? The tie here is just the simple yet charming idea of using the same camera passed around the world. I, for one, would appreciate the leniency of shooting according to my own style (including my own film preferences, processing, and printing). This is a far-fetched comparison, but could you imagine Magnum doing something similar and requiring everyone to shoot a specific color film, or the opposite? Alex Webb says he sees in color; Cartier-Bresson would scoff at the idea of shooting in color (I imagine). Why not respect those differences - it would certainly be interesting to see what different results could originate from using the same camera. That's my two cents. But, the real question is: will this thing get off the ground?

Old 02-05-2005   #109
Russ

[quote=Allen Gilman]I would vote for the photographer to use their own type of film. Those who develop can do their own film, those who don't can take it in to a lab. But I'm curious to know why continuity in images would be desired. This would be an international project w/ a diversity of photographers so why not embrace that diversity? The tie here is just the simple yet charming idea of using the same camera passed around the world. I, for one, would appreciate the leniency of shooting according to my own style (including my own film preferences, processing, and printing). QUOTE]

I agree. Let each shooter, shoot the images in the way that he or she see's and feel's them. I also think that Frank should donate his Hexar AF and Mamiya 6 for this project

Russ
8701 NE 54th St #G-5
Vancouver, WA 98662

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 02-05-2005   #110
sfaust

I agree that RFF is the easiest place to put the photos up. But I feel there is a great advantage to hosting it separately and link back to RFF as needed.

One, it will allow the images to be very customized in their presentation. We would be able to put text anywhere we want, frame the photos nicely, add drop shadows, signatures, etc, and have the whole image and site work together to present a very elegant presentation. This would all be lost going through the RFF galleries.

Secondly, the navigation of the RFF galleries is not intuitive. A specific web site can be made very easy to navigate, use thumbnails, links, etc.

It would also will be searchable in places like google and alta vista, which will also widen the audience and give it more exposure. Links could also be added to the images for a direct link to the photographers gallery in RFF, or anywhere else people desire for that matter.

I think hosting on RFF for the start of the project is perfect. I don't mind putting in the effort to setup a site, but want to wait until I see there are a reasonable amount of photos done to make the project viable before putting forth the effort.

The site won't be all that large, self contained, and it can easily be tacked on to another site. I don't see any reasons why I couldn't easily host it for the next 5 years or more, and once designed and published it doesn't need any maintenance or updates. It just sits.

Old 02-05-2005   #111
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

I think the main issues on the table right now are 'which camera' and 'which film, how many shots'. There also seems to be differing opinions on where to put the pictures, but I think we'll have plenty of time to sort that out later.

I think this project has quite a few people now. There have been a lot of great suggestions on these 2 questions and I really think we should vote on them so that everyone has some say. Also we can put our opinion on the question in that thread, and have them all in one place instead of scattered everywhere.

We would just need someone to gather all the suggestions for each issue from these threads and start a new polling thread for them.

Old 02-05-2005   #112
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

I have an idea.
How about asking a reputable photo mag (Black and White, Lenswork, Chasseur d'Images, PHOTO, whatever, it does not matter much) for some kind of sponsorship - which consists in them hosting the photos on their website somewhere in a gallery, maybe paying for the shipping/film costs, AND in change they can publish the photos (at least the ones they select), a few in each number through the year.
Am I too naive?

Old 02-05-2005   #113
FrankS

Allen G. suggested each photog chooses his/her own film type. I'm fine with that too. I believe more strongly that each photog uses their own ROLL of film, for the reasons I've stated before.

Russ, Russ, Russ! Are you guys not interested in my new M2? Seriously, I like the idea of a basic mechanical and robust RF, not too expensive, like a FED or Kiev.

Old 02-05-2005   #114
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

So, i put up two polls to speed things up a bit. Please vote as soon as possible, if you also subscribed to the participation list.
Poll - Type of film to use: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...2842#post42842

Poll - Number of frames per participant +shipping of film:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...2846#post42846

Old 02-05-2005   #115
aizan

i can help out with the website, designing and coding, etc. well, as long as it doesn't require heavy backend coding stuff.

instead of asking zi to lend a camera, why not voigtlander?

Last edited by aizan : 02-05-2005 at 13:17.

Old 11-06-2005   #116
raid
Dad Photographer

There are similar projects done on photo.net and nelsonfoto.com. I participated in the Hal Project (35mm) and the Sure-Shot Project (120). Next, we will send around a FED2 camera around the world. The mentioned projects do not have any profit making/donation aspect to them like you seem to be aiming at here.

Old 11-06-2005   #117
Dan Chang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblanchard
You know what sounds like fun? A Pass the Camera project.
An example: I take a picture with my Canon A35 F with 40mm 1:2.8 fixed lens and post it, then mail the camera to another member, etc....

If anyone would like to try this, let me know. I think it would be fun. After it gets completed and the camera gets back to me, maybe we could self publish a book and donate the proceeds to the Tsunami victims fund, Red Cross, or some Sailors and Soldiers fund.

What do you think?
Are we doing such thing to support our mail/delivery system?

Old 11-06-2005   #118
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

raid, i don't understand what you mean by the last line of your post.
The camera travels for the sake of fun and to see the results, nothing else [so far].

edit - o i guess you refer to the very original post of wblanchard. We'll see, anyway

So.............?
Old 07-17-2006   #119
Krosya
Konicaze

So.............?

I just came across this old thread and I was wondering if anything came out of it? Did anyone actually do this? Did it work? Any update?

Sounded like a cool idea, but did it see light of day?

George

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 07-19-2009   #120
pete63uk

Bumping this as I am also interested if ti happened.

www.pete63.me.uk

Old 04-08-2011   #121
Shane

I've seen this happen on another forum. It worked pretty well. Each member would get an set amount of shots. Then new film would be added when that ran out, it carried on until all the members who where participating had taken their shots.