Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 01-21-2005   #26
GermanB
User Condition??

there's another concern if you spend 1 week per participant then there has to be a limit in the number of participants or the project would take a loooong time to finish, even more, the mail time also counts.

I'm not negative either but practical.

Old 01-21-2005   #27
GeneW
aka StarbuckGuy

Interesting idea, though the logistics are difficult.

A couple of ideas come to mind:

- more than one cam: keeping each cam regional for easier/quicker/cheaper posting

- maybe disposable 35mm cams: no harm done if it comes to harm. Last person on the list gets the negs processed

- gathering all the scanned images together at the end

This reminds me of postal chess

Gene

Old 01-21-2005   #28
nwcanonman

This is just a question. With as many members that are on this list, if only 1/3rd participated would 36 pics each be an LOT of photos to deal with?
Sounds burdonsome. Just curious.

Old 01-21-2005   #29
wblanchard

Okay..here is more on the project.
1. 50 participant limit.
2. 1 roll of XP2 Super for each person. We all shoot a roll and have a contact sheet. 2 images from each person will be selected overall by us after seeing all the images posted on a website. For the prints we should have the film developed and put onto black and white paper for the best results from this film.
3. We all use the same camera. This project wouldn't be much of a novelty idea if we don't actually mail the camera to one another.
4. One or more of our members involved who have darkroom skills can volunteer to develop the film and contact sheets.
5. This is open to International members of our forum too. In fact I would mail the camera overseas first and pay for the shipping to start the ball rolling.
6. I've been in contact with Borders without Doctors and they are excited about the project and possibly helping us soon with sponsorship. I will let you know more when I hear more.
7. Anyone interested should email me at [email protected] with their name, username, and contact email.
8. Camera used is a Canon A35 F "Nighter" with a 40mm 1:2.8 lens. Here is a page with the camera info by a friend of mine: http://home20.inet.tele.dk/sylvest/indexCANONA35.html and here http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...78_a35f_s.html

Last edited by wblanchard : 01-21-2005 at 06:49.

Old 01-21-2005   #30
GeneW
aka StarbuckGuy

Sounds fun. Sign me up!

Might be an idea to work out a logical exchange flow ahead of time -- e.g., all Canadian, all US, all European, all Australian, etc., participants, in a batch sequence to keep shipping costs tame.

Gene

Old 01-21-2005   #31
impact07
Mayor McCheese

Sounds like fun. Count me in.

I think 1 shot per person is the way to go. 1 week is too much time. It's only one shot. 2 days max then send it on. If we have too many participants, just have someone throw in another camera. We should also consider having the cams be rangefinders instead of throw aways. We are bound to have some extra RFs around that we would be willing to risk. I know I have a few!

-Leica MP- 28-50-90

Old 01-21-2005   #32
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

I'm game.

I vote for the one shot per person idea - I think that it would add a certain element of discipline and excitement to the concept. And I do prefer the idea of the camera being some form of RF because of our shared interest. Perhaps one of the FSU cameras with a Jupiter-8?

edit: I read the link above and see that the proposed Canon is an RF, so that's more than good enough for me.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Last edited by wlewisiii : 01-21-2005 at 07:46.

Old 01-21-2005   #33
back alley
just joe

one shot seems so...limited.

i think there's a difference between discipline and masochism, one shot would drive me a bit up the wall i think.

joe

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Old 01-21-2005   #34
RML
Just live it.

What's XP2? B&W film? Yugh!

A turnover time of 2 days seems way to short. I can't even go to the post office that quickly as I (and most of us, I reckon) work from early morning (up at 4.30am) till late in the afternoon (back home by 5 or 6pm).

I like the idea very much but I see many practical difficulties.

Another idea we could do as a RFF project after the pass-the-camera project has "ended" (50 partakers x 2 days = already 100 days. Count in an average of 2-7 days for the postal system to catch up with us and we're talking about 6-12 months!), would be to hold a one-time PAW where every participating member takes 1 or more shots on the same day, say a saturday. These can than be posted some time (1 week, 1 month?) later here on RFF. All together these shots will show a day-in-the-life of RFF worldwide....
...Come to think of it, this sounds like it's been done before, though I can't remember who, where or when.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 01-21-2005   #35
back alley
just joe

if we look at this as a never-ending project then we can edit out the time factors. we pass the camera and process our own roll of film. pass the camera on. we can post our shots all on one thread or create a section just for this excercise.

keep it simple.

see how long we can 'pass the camera'.

joe

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Old 01-21-2005   #36
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

I'm in if we can work out all these logistics!

Old 01-21-2005   #37
Honu-Hugger

Count me in, as well -- great idea!

I'm home with a cold today and didn't have the focus to read through all the logistics but I'll assist in any way possible with that, too.

D2

Old 01-21-2005   #38
lkgroup

I think this is a great idea. I would be up for a whole roll and contact sheet with the group picking a picture for a book or exhibit.

Great project let me know how this progresses.

Leo

Northwest Washington

Eastman Double-X Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lchristoffer/

FS Leitz AFLOO Film Winder -new-

Old 01-21-2005   #39
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

this was done some years back with a group of Argus collectors..
I read it somewhere, not sure what the final result was...
Maybe some googling would turn it up.

Old 01-21-2005   #40
Allen Gilman

ya gotta love the internet!

I like the idea of taking the two best shots off of the contact sheet. If the end product is to have an exhibition, then it might be good to have each photog print his/her photo or have it done to his/her specs at a lab. But if the end product is a book, then each image will have to be scanned so why not just send in scanned images prepared by each participant. Same camera but distinctive photos bearing each photog's signature.

All in all, it's a cool idea. I agree that turnaround time should be pretty fast.

Interested to see the direction this takes...

Old 01-21-2005   #41
Roman

Yu can count me in as well, if we can get this going...

Roman

My Flickr gallery

Old 01-21-2005   #42
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I would love to get in on this project...count me in.
How about this...each one shoots 5 frames on the roll in the camera (normal amount for cutting film to fit sleeves and for contact printing)
When the roll is done you mail it to whom ever will be processing it. There will be a spare roll in the box at all times and if someone can supply an exact roll locally then you add it to the box...therefore the film doesn't get exposed to too many xrays and there is the same film being used. You know that somewhere someone won't be able to find the same film so we add it when we can or need to. And the film will be stored in a safety bag.
I like the idea of using the same camera...this is the novelty of the project.
You can make one print from the five exposure BUT in the back of the book you show all of the shots in the form of a contact sheet.
This really sounds like fun!!!
pf

Old 01-21-2005   #43
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

I like the idea, count me in! I'd suggest that a couple of guys pitch in together at each end to get it over an ocean - so for instance, Stu, Tim, Kris, Mourges & I could shoot it back to the states or Europe and divvy the cost between us. It'd work fine.
(Get it here for April and we can hand the camera over in person to the sheepfarmer)

Cheers,
Steve

Old 01-21-2005   #44
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

How about we start a sign up sheet, which also includes our point of origin, so we can plan the shipping exactly. Once we have everyone who wants to participate we can decide the order and minimize the number of trips it takes overseas (minimizing shipping costs). Then we can reach a final decision on film, # of shots, etc. Lets get a feel for exactly how many will participate and from how many countries.

Old 01-21-2005   #45
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

Go here to sign up

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...8462#post38462

After every one has signed, we can make a matrix of users/countries and plan the order at least.

If every one thinks its a good idea of course. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

Regards,

Old 01-21-2005   #46
CleverName

Quote:
Originally posted by RML
Another idea we could do as a RFF project after the pass-the-camera project has "ended" ... would be to hold a one-time PAW where every participating member takes 1 or more shots on the same day, say a saturday.
I like this idea too. We could start a thread or set up a gallery called "March, 23rd, noon" (or any random date). Any member who wanted to would take a photo of whatever they wanted at that exact time.

Old 01-21-2005   #47
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

Not a bad idea either RML, Clever. It changes the flavor quite a bit but I like it. It does solve much of the logistical issues.

Old 01-22-2005   #48
RML
Just live it.

No need for either this idea or the other. We can do both.

I like the pass-the-camera idea but I'm not into shoting B&W at all. I know just about enough of Efke KB100 to get some decent results, and have some little experience i developing Efke in Rodinal but I wouldn't know how to get decent results or how to process XP2. Printing anything would be out of the question anyway unless an inkjet print would suffice. Anyway, I'm much more comfortable using colour neg film. I assume there are others who have similar (logistical, financial, photographical) doubts, so another project idea could be set up for them.

Now, shall I sign up for the pass-the-camera project or wait for another project idea to come by...?

Old 01-22-2005   #49
rover

I want to see Amsterdam, go sign up Remy!!!

Click the shutter a couple times and send the camera on to someone else. As long as you don't hit the end of the roll the next guy will deal with the processing.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-22-2005   #50
RML
Just live it.

OK, rover. I'll sign up.

What am I getting myself into now?!