Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 01-21-2005   #41
Roman

Yu can count me in as well, if we can get this going...

Roman

My Flickr gallery

Old 01-21-2005   #42
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I would love to get in on this project...count me in.
How about this...each one shoots 5 frames on the roll in the camera (normal amount for cutting film to fit sleeves and for contact printing)
When the roll is done you mail it to whom ever will be processing it. There will be a spare roll in the box at all times and if someone can supply an exact roll locally then you add it to the box...therefore the film doesn't get exposed to too many xrays and there is the same film being used. You know that somewhere someone won't be able to find the same film so we add it when we can or need to. And the film will be stored in a safety bag.
I like the idea of using the same camera...this is the novelty of the project.
You can make one print from the five exposure BUT in the back of the book you show all of the shots in the form of a contact sheet.
This really sounds like fun!!!
pf

Old 01-21-2005   #43
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

I like the idea, count me in! I'd suggest that a couple of guys pitch in together at each end to get it over an ocean - so for instance, Stu, Tim, Kris, Mourges & I could shoot it back to the states or Europe and divvy the cost between us. It'd work fine.
(Get it here for April and we can hand the camera over in person to the sheepfarmer)

Cheers,
Steve

Old 01-21-2005   #44
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

How about we start a sign up sheet, which also includes our point of origin, so we can plan the shipping exactly. Once we have everyone who wants to participate we can decide the order and minimize the number of trips it takes overseas (minimizing shipping costs). Then we can reach a final decision on film, # of shots, etc. Lets get a feel for exactly how many will participate and from how many countries.

Old 01-21-2005   #45
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

Go here to sign up

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...8462#post38462

After every one has signed, we can make a matrix of users/countries and plan the order at least.

If every one thinks its a good idea of course. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

Regards,

Old 01-21-2005   #46
CleverName

Quote:
Originally posted by RML
Another idea we could do as a RFF project after the pass-the-camera project has "ended" ... would be to hold a one-time PAW where every participating member takes 1 or more shots on the same day, say a saturday.
I like this idea too. We could start a thread or set up a gallery called "March, 23rd, noon" (or any random date). Any member who wanted to would take a photo of whatever they wanted at that exact time.

Old 01-21-2005   #47
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

Not a bad idea either RML, Clever. It changes the flavor quite a bit but I like it. It does solve much of the logistical issues.

Old 01-22-2005   #48
RML
Just live it.

No need for either this idea or the other. We can do both.

I like the pass-the-camera idea but I'm not into shoting B&W at all. I know just about enough of Efke KB100 to get some decent results, and have some little experience i developing Efke in Rodinal but I wouldn't know how to get decent results or how to process XP2. Printing anything would be out of the question anyway unless an inkjet print would suffice. Anyway, I'm much more comfortable using colour neg film. I assume there are others who have similar (logistical, financial, photographical) doubts, so another project idea could be set up for them.

Now, shall I sign up for the pass-the-camera project or wait for another project idea to come by...?

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 01-22-2005   #49
rover

I want to see Amsterdam, go sign up Remy!!!

Click the shutter a couple times and send the camera on to someone else. As long as you don't hit the end of the roll the next guy will deal with the processing.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-22-2005   #50
RML
Just live it.

OK, rover. I'll sign up.

What am I getting myself into now?!

Old 01-22-2005   #51
Stu :)

Quote:
Originally posted by st3ph3nm
(Get it here for April and we can hand the camera over in person to the sheepfarmer)

Cheers,
Steve
OI!...
All the farmers in my family where dairy farmers, thank you very much.

Other than that, I second Steve's idea. Us "down-unders" combine postage costs to get it from US, then onto where ever... perhaps Singapore?

Stu

Old 01-22-2005   #52
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

You can't process XP2 yourself unless your set up to process to c-41 film. I think its harder to process than the regular B&W Film because the tolerances for temperature variation are smaller and the chemicals are more noxious. I don't know if noxious really a word, but I used it anyway.

Old 01-22-2005   #53
RML
Just live it.

So, one could drop off a roll of XP2 at a one-hour lab?

Old 01-22-2005   #54
FrankS

Quote:
Originally posted by RML
So, one could drop off a roll of XP2 at a one-hour lab?
That is correct, Remy.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-22-2005   #55
RML
Just live it.

Than, if I have to get the film developed and/or printed, at least I won't be out of my depths.

Old 01-22-2005   #56
nwcanonman

I emailed the USPS customer service to ask if their equipment would cause harm to photo film and if we could use a lead bag to protect it. Their "non" responce was:
"Thank you for visiting our website. We received your inquiry regarding the mailing of a camera. Marking a box "Do Not X-Ray" or placing it in a lead bag will not forgo the X-Raying of a mail piece, and may result in the item being considered suspicious"

DUH! Hell I'll use Fed-Ex then.

Old 01-22-2005   #57
GermanB
User Condition??

Im confused sign up by mail or poll ?
anyway I did both.

Old 01-22-2005   #58
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

Seems the remaining logistical issues are:

1) If disposable cameras don't win, the film to use. ( at least the choices are much less. And different cameras are available in different parts of the world. )

2) If reg RFs win, again which film.

3) If reg RFs win, who will provide the camera?

4) How many pictures will each person take?

Maybe we could just keep taking polls for each of these. See how it all pans out and how many sign up. The list grows fast! We should probably keep taking sign ups at least through Monday, Some people only have internet access at work.

Old 01-22-2005   #59
nwcanonman

The threads originator ( wblanchard) offered his Canon A35F.

It would seem easiest to use a C41, like XP2 or Kodaks 400.

Shooting a roll and forwarding the best two (4"x6" prints?) seems sensible (no posting of unexposed film).

Watchca' all think ??

Old 01-22-2005   #60
Todd.Hanz

I offer 2 Yashica GSN's if needed, one could be passed around North/South America, etc. and another to the otherside of the pond!

Todd

Old 01-22-2005   #61
Allen Gilman

Why not have everyone shoot a film of their own choice, developed how they want to, and then have other forum members choose the best shot or 2 from the roll? I think the charm of this idea lies in the fact that the same camera was used but it would be very interesting to see the different results according to each photog.

Old 01-22-2005   #62
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I think this is a great idea!
My 2 cent worth:
If we're mailing a camera with film in it it should NOT be put into one of those lead bags because the operator of the scanning machine will just crank up the x-rays until he/she can "see" what's inside the bag, by which time the film is fried.
I like the idea of one shot on a roll and send the camera to the next person on the list.
B&W or color film--I don't have a preference but it should be the same for all the shots. Easier when it comes to processing and printing.
I have a Kiev 4a that I'm not using and would be happy to lend it for this project.
I think one person should be incharge of the images(process and scan or print) once again in the interest of consistency of results--one less variable to worry about.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 01-22-2005   #63
andrew

I second Allan's suggestion - I worked for a year processing c-41 and b/w film all day long in a couple of big (walk-in) dip and dunk machines and c-41 b/w films (kodak and ilford) just can't push or pull the way any b/w film can - it gets really ugly really fast. But I'm pretty ignorant about scanning films, so maybe they're better than I think.

I'd vote for tri-x or hp5, but I'm up for trying anything. I think both projects (camera-a-go-go and the one where everyone shoots whatever, whereever at the same time) sound like a lot of fun.

Old 01-24-2005   #64
FrankS

Here's my $0.02:

One camera, (not 2 or 3 or 4.) That is the unifying theme. It is this that makes this project special.

We could approach Leica (or Zeiss or Nikon, or Voightlander) to ask for a loaner RF camera for the project in return for the publicity.

Send only the camera around. Each photog. can buy the type of film they want, and are responsible for the processing, printing, and scanning. (all part of the creative process and "artistic control")

Each photog chooses 1 or 2 pics (however many are required for the project given the number of participants) alone or with the help of other RFF members

If desired, each photographer's contact sheet of their film can be used in another section of the book.

Old 01-24-2005   #65
nwcanonman

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
Here's my $0.02:

One camera, (not 2 or 3 or 4.) That is the unifying theme. It is this that makes this project special.

We could approach Leica (or Zeiss or Nikon, or Voightlander) to ask for a loaner RF camera for the project in return for the publicity.

Send only the camera around. Each photog. can buy the type of film they want, and are responsible for the processing, printing, and scanning. (all part of the creative process and "artistic control")

Each photog chooses 1 or 2 pics (however many are required for the project given the number of participants) alone or with the help of other RFF members

If desired, each photographer's contact sheet of their film can be used in another section of the book.
Frank,
I'm with you. The only thing I have doubts about are the camera makers letting "us" ship their camera all over the world. We'll probably just use one of our generous member's camera

Old 01-24-2005   #66
FrankS

We could also enlist the services of a shipping company (FedEx, UPS) in exchange for publicity, so that shipping would be secure and acceptable to the camera company. I say aim high and see what you get. Participants could all contribute a certain amount (to be calculated) and there could be a draw for the loaner camera which the camera company (I hope it's Leica) would sell to us at a reduced cost once the project is finished. We should not underestimate the legitimacy which this RFF site affords us! It costs nothing to ask.

Old 01-24-2005   #67
nwcanonman

FrankS,
Well, that's our Search and Rescue team's motto, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst". It would be nice to have assistance from the Big Guys!
Having been called a basturd so many times, I still feel illegitimate - LOL.

Old 01-24-2005   #68
24x30
I don't know my own mind

I like the idea of a film which shows images from different members at different locations ... if everybody takes his own film, everybody can also take his own camera ... nobody knows

I like also the whole idea itself , but a theme (common anchor) would be nice.

what do you think?

/rudi

Last edited by 24x30 : 01-24-2005 at 14:26.

Old 01-24-2005   #69
digitalox
RF Extraordinaire

So, who is going to ask . Anyone here got some friends/relatives at Leica?

Old 01-24-2005   #70
24x30
I don't know my own mind

Would also be nice tracing the cam here at the forum ...

/rudi

Old 01-24-2005   #71
FrankS

Has anyone got a GPS to send along with the camera? I mean something that will transmit its location.

Old 01-24-2005   #72
nwcanonman

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
Has anyone got a GPS to send along with the camera? I mean something that will transmit its location.
Oh man! If the lead-bag idea had the Post Office upset, can you imagine what a transmitter would do to the security freaks???
Of course, you could send it UPS and get on-line Tracking of everywhere it goes ~ ; - )

Old 01-24-2005   #73
FrankS

"Of course, you could send it UPS and get on-line Tracking of everywhere it goes ~ ; - )"

That's what I'm talking about, get one of those shipping companies to sponsor us!

And get a RF camera manufacturing company to loan us a camera for the project. Maybe Nikon will ante up one of their new models for publicity's sake. Get different companies to compete with each other for the priviledge of sponsoring us! We can say, "Nikon will likely loan us a RF camera, but we'll go with your company (Leica) instead if you donate the camera once the project is finished and we'll raffle it off, proceeds going to Tsunami relief." Think grandiose!

Old 01-24-2005   #74
RML
Just live it.

Uuuuh! Yes, can we go for the Nikon SP 2005?! Please?! Please?!

Old 01-24-2005   #75
nwcanonman

And we'll have to sign for it upon delivery you know? LOL.

Old 01-25-2005   #76
thmk

Wasn't there a rumour that the Nikon will only be for collectors?

Old 01-25-2005   #77
RML
Just live it.

From now on I'm a collector, especially of Nikon RF cameras. I don't have any yet but that could change rapidly.

Old 01-25-2005   #78
taffer
void

Didn't Zeiss said 'back with passion', where's more passion than on a world running camera, taking pics of a zillion places, travelling without rest, being used by so many different hands and still demonstrating its quality on a tough real life test like this one ? can you think on a better propaganda for the legendary Leica competitor !?

I VOTE FOR THE ZEISS IKON

If it ever gets released, that is

PS: OTH, think about what a fiasco if the camera falls apart between the hands of one of us... :P Then Zeiss would have to buy our silence... with a Leica probably !

Last edited by taffer : 01-25-2005 at 10:01.

Old 01-25-2005   #79
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Zeiss Ikon it should be!

Old 01-26-2005   #80
GermanB
User Condition??

FrankS is rigth why not to try?

Definitely Zeiss Ikon !