Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #841
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Richard de Stoutz's comment on his website here (T = tax free) matches what I've heard/been told in Japan.
Richard de Stoutz writes what I had stated above from memory : the T marking is a late variation of the <E.P> marking, for cameras sold as taxfree goodies on a military base.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #842
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Richard de Stoutz writes what I had stated above from memory : the T marking is a late variation of the <E.P> marking, for cameras sold as taxfree goodies on a military base.
I guess you're right, Nicolas! The strange thing to my mind is that the <E.P.> marking appears to have been used earlier than the T marking, in parallel with the T marking, and also continued to be used after the T marking was discontinued

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #843
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
The strange thing to my mind is that the <E.P.> marking appears to have been used earlier than the T marking, in parallel with the T marking, and also continued to be used after the T marking was discontinued
I guess they finally decided to use some parts sporting the <E.P> marking after having first decided to discard them in favor of parts sporting the T marking.

Nikon has a very long history of parts having been made prior to some others eventually landing on camera bodies manufactured later than the parts made later than the parts made before...

My S-2 Kit
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #844
Capt. E

My S-2 Kit

I have what is for me a pretty complete Nikon S-2 kit that I have owned for a number of years and enjoy putting black and white in it. I also own a Leica M-6 with a trio of lenses, but somehow, I prefer the Nikon, or at least, I like it just as much.

S-2
with 5cm f/1.4
3.5cm f/3.5 with caps and Leitz case
13.5cm f/3.5 black/chrome barrel with caps and Nikkor case
35 and 135 finders with cases
Hood for both 3.5cm and 5cm lenses with series VII adapter and case (even has the original instructions sheet)
Also have series Tiffen Photar Series VII filters for B&W and three Walz 43 mm filters in case (Orange, Yellow, Green)
Even have an Auto-up

trying to figure out how to post a photo...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #845
enasniearth

Quote:
I guess they finally decided to use some parts sporting the <E.P> marking after having first decided to discard them in favor of parts sporting the T marking.

Nikon has a very long history of parts having been made prior to some others eventually landing on camera bodies manufactured later than the parts made later than the parts made before...
I found some more details in nikon historical society journal march 31,2015 NHS-127

There is an article on page 7 by Christophe sap

In the first paragraph
" the "t" found on some bodies is also on the rewind knob "
Rjr adds
" the T is rumored to stand for test yet is only found on later bodies such as the Sp/S3 /S4 and s3m , and not on any lenses or accessories like the 'ep'......
I was told by the factory it meant ' tax free' and identified items destined for the tax free airport shops in Europe . More research needs to be done on this "

The Nikon journal that is included with membership in the NHS is one of the benefits of joining , there are always interesting articles , that go beyond what the books say( the best information at press time) the same article covers the red 't' in circle on some test cameras and covers special numbers on s2 test cameras .
One was sold at westlicht last year if you want to see the red ' t ' in circle with test numbers engraved , rear of top plate .

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #846
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
I was told by the factory it meant ' tax free' and identified items destined for the tax free airport shops in Europe . More research needs to be done on this.
My S3 was bought direct from Japan. So I have some doubts about the T meaning having any links with the European dutyfree airport shops.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #847
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

The military shops in Japan were still using the <E.P> as late as 1970-71. My 24mm has it. Some time after the last SP was sold in a PX. WES

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #848
leica M2 fan

Still have my S2 that I bought in 1968, I believe. Only have the 50/1.4 it came with and a 35/3.5 and that's all I need.
I'll probably always keep this one.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #849
enasniearth

Quote:
My S3 was bought direct from Japan. So I have some doubts about the T meaning having any links with the European dutyfree airport shops.
With all respect ,
In 2001 when I discovered ebay , I started buying and selling nikon rangefinder and wwii leica
About 2 out of 5 items sold went to Japan ,
It was a way to purchase things I never was able to see or afford at
The local /regional camera shows ,
No one knew then that ebay would set the prices for classic cameras and kill the camera shows we all enjoyed , at any camera show 15-20 years ago there was always the buyer from Japan ( and they paid a great price )
So it is possible your camera was first sold in Europe or To an American traveling in Europe .

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #850
enasniearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leica M2 fan View Post
Still have my S2 that I bought in 1968, I believe. Only have the 50/1.4 it came with and a 35/3.5 and that's all I need.
I'll probably always keep this one.
M2 fan,
I still have my s2 with 5cm 1.4 I purchased used in NYC in 1974 ,

You are right it's all we really need .
Al

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #851
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
With all respect ,
In 2001 when I discovered ebay , I started buying and selling nikon rangefinder and wwii leica
About 2 out of 5 items sold went to Japan ,
It was a way to purchase things I never was able to see or afford at
The local /regional camera shows ,
No one knew then that ebay would set the prices for classic cameras and kill the camera shows we all enjoyed , at any camera show 15-20 years ago there was always the buyer from Japan ( and they paid a great price )
So it is possible your camera was first sold in Europe or To an American traveling in Europe .
This is all true.

Yet the Nikon RF market in Europe has always been close to nil. Without the Internet and the international deals we can go through, it would still be almost impossible to get some Nikon RF cameras in Europe nowadays.

European rangefinder nuts and collectors have always been after Leicas, not Nikons.

So I still have doubts about the T being linked to the European market, even if this means the parallel dutyfree airport shops market actually. But this is possible nonetheless, of course.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #852
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Yet the Nikon RF market in Europe has always been close to nil. Without the Internet and the international deals we can go through, it would still be almost impossible to get some Nikon RF cameras in Europe nowadays.

I remember seeing in 1993 in a shopwindow in Utrecht an S2-set: camera (chrome dial), 35mm, 50mm and 105mm lenses and universal finder. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was however no interest for it. After a month I bought the set. I still have it.

Contax G1, Sonnar 90mm f/2.8, Tmax400.

Erik.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #853
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Lovely picture of a beautiful camera Erik.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

my S2 outfit
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #854
Capt. E

my S2 outfit

still no luck posting photo straight from Macbook

Old 6 Days Ago   #855
marcr1230

I bought this lens a couple years ago - it looked like it had never been used or taken out - note how clean the lens case and straps are

FYI - this is a bathtub shot - so easy to get clean background

slight distortion due to angle of iPhone taking picture

Old 6 Days Ago   #856
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
trying to figure out how to post a photo...
This is the most common sentence to be found in the annals here ar RFF. Appears more often than the word "Leica".

Old 6 Days Ago   #857
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
still no luck posting photo straight from Macbook
Ahoy, earthling! Being from earth you are thinking "drag and drop".

This is a foreign land. Posting photos can be done but it requires the "special knowledge".
Please do a search for "how the #%#! do you post a photo here on RFF", and you will be led to the special knowledge.

Old 6 Days Ago   #858
marcr1230

One way to post is to upload your photo to anothr site, like photobucket or flickr, and use the generated "BBCode" entry

if you click on reply to a post with a photo in it, you can see where it is hosted and how the embedding works

for example mine - replace with your own link or URL, remove the quotes and enter all characters on one line :

"[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/marcrosen1230/IMG_9273.jpg"
"[/IMG]"

Here's the BBcode in action:

Old 1 Day Ago   #859
rangefindermania