Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #841
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Richard de Stoutz's comment on his website here (T = tax free) matches what I've heard/been told in Japan.
Richard de Stoutz writes what I had stated above from memory : the T marking is a late variation of the <E.P> marking, for cameras sold as taxfree goodies on a military base.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #842
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Richard de Stoutz writes what I had stated above from memory : the T marking is a late variation of the <E.P> marking, for cameras sold as taxfree goodies on a military base.
I guess you're right, Nicolas! The strange thing to my mind is that the <E.P.> marking appears to have been used earlier than the T marking, in parallel with the T marking, and also continued to be used after the T marking was discontinued
__________________
flickr
RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #843
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
The strange thing to my mind is that the <E.P.> marking appears to have been used earlier than the T marking, in parallel with the T marking, and also continued to be used after the T marking was discontinued
I guess they finally decided to use some parts sporting the <E.P> marking after having first decided to discard them in favor of parts sporting the T marking.

Nikon has a very long history of parts having been made prior to some others eventually landing on camera bodies manufactured later than the parts made later than the parts made before...
__________________

  Reply With Quote

My S-2 Kit
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #844
Capt. E
Registered User
 
Capt. E is offline
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
My S-2 Kit

I have what is for me a pretty complete Nikon S-2 kit that I have owned for a number of years and enjoy putting black and white in it. I also own a Leica M-6 with a trio of lenses, but somehow, I prefer the Nikon, or at least, I like it just as much.


S-2
with 5cm f/1.4
3.5cm f/3.5 with caps and Leitz case
13.5cm f/3.5 black/chrome barrel with caps and Nikkor case
35 and 135 finders with cases
Hood for both 3.5cm and 5cm lenses with series VII adapter and case (even has the original instructions sheet)
Also have series Tiffen Photar Series VII filters for B&W and three Walz 43 mm filters in case (Orange, Yellow, Green)
Even have an Auto-up

trying to figure out how to post a photo...
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #845
enasniearth
Registered User
 
enasniearth is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
I guess they finally decided to use some parts sporting the <E.P> marking after having first decided to discard them in favor of parts sporting the T marking.

Nikon has a very long history of parts having been made prior to some others eventually landing on camera bodies manufactured later than the parts made later than the parts made before...
I found some more details in nikon historical society journal march 31,2015 NHS-127

There is an article on page 7 by Christophe sap

In the first paragraph
" the "t" found on some bodies is also on the rewind knob "
Rjr adds
" the T is rumored to stand for test yet is only found on later bodies such as the Sp/S3 /S4 and s3m , and not on any lenses or accessories like the 'ep'......
I was told by the factory it meant ' tax free' and identified items destined for the tax free airport shops in Europe . More research needs to be done on this "

The Nikon journal that is included with membership in the NHS is one of the benefits of joining , there are always interesting articles , that go beyond what the books say( the best information at press time) the same article covers the red 't' in circle on some test cameras and covers special numbers on s2 test cameras .
One was sold at westlicht last year if you want to see the red ' t ' in circle with test numbers engraved , rear of top plate .
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #846
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
I was told by the factory it meant ' tax free' and identified items destined for the tax free airport shops in Europe . More research needs to be done on this.
My S3 was bought direct from Japan. So I have some doubts about the T meaning having any links with the European dutyfree airport shops.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #847
wes loder
Photographer/Historian
 
wes loder's Avatar
 
wes loder is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Weisenberg Tep, PA
Posts: 133
The military shops in Japan were still using the <E.P> as late as 1970-71. My 24mm has it. Some time after the last SP was sold in a PX. WES
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #848
leica M2 fan
Registered User
 
leica M2 fan's Avatar
 
leica M2 fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NorCal
Age: 79
Posts: 16,525
Still have my S2 that I bought in 1968, I believe. Only have the 50/1.4 it came with and a 35/3.5 and that's all I need.
I'll probably always keep this one.
__________________
Good Light and Good Luck

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #849
enasniearth
Registered User
 
enasniearth is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
My S3 was bought direct from Japan. So I have some doubts about the T meaning having any links with the European dutyfree airport shops.
With all respect ,
In 2001 when I discovered ebay , I started buying and selling nikon rangefinder and wwii leica
About 2 out of 5 items sold went to Japan ,
It was a way to purchase things I never was able to see or afford at
The local /regional camera shows ,
No one knew then that ebay would set the prices for classic cameras and kill the camera shows we all enjoyed , at any camera show 15-20 years ago there was always the buyer from Japan ( and they paid a great price )
So it is possible your camera was first sold in Europe or To an American traveling in Europe .
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #850
enasniearth
Registered User
 
enasniearth is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by leica M2 fan View Post
Still have my S2 that I bought in 1968, I believe. Only have the 50/1.4 it came with and a 35/3.5 and that's all I need.
I'll probably always keep this one.
M2 fan,
I still have my s2 with 5cm 1.4 I purchased used in NYC in 1974 ,

You are right it's all we really need .
Al
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #851
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
With all respect ,
In 2001 when I discovered ebay , I started buying and selling nikon rangefinder and wwii leica
About 2 out of 5 items sold went to Japan ,
It was a way to purchase things I never was able to see or afford at
The local /regional camera shows ,
No one knew then that ebay would set the prices for classic cameras and kill the camera shows we all enjoyed , at any camera show 15-20 years ago there was always the buyer from Japan ( and they paid a great price )
So it is possible your camera was first sold in Europe or To an American traveling in Europe .
This is all true.

Yet the Nikon RF market in Europe has always been close to nil. Without the Internet and the international deals we can go through, it would still be almost impossible to get some Nikon RF cameras in Europe nowadays.

European rangefinder nuts and collectors have always been after Leicas, not Nikons.

So I still have doubts about the T being linked to the European market, even if this means the parallel dutyfree airport shops market actually. But this is possible nonetheless, of course.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #852
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Yet the Nikon RF market in Europe has always been close to nil. Without the Internet and the international deals we can go through, it would still be almost impossible to get some Nikon RF cameras in Europe nowadays.


I remember seeing in 1993 in a shopwindow in Utrecht an S2-set: camera (chrome dial), 35mm, 50mm and 105mm lenses and universal finder. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was however no interest for it. After a month I bought the set. I still have it.

Contax G1, Sonnar 90mm f/2.8, Tmax400.

Erik.

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #853
Timmyjoe
Registered User
 
Timmyjoe's Avatar
 
Timmyjoe is online now
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Lovely picture of a beautiful camera Erik.
__________________
http://www.timcarrollphotography.com

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available
  Reply With Quote

my S2 outfit
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #854
Capt. E
Registered User
 
Capt. E is offline
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
my S2 outfit

still no luck posting photo straight from Macbook
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #855
marcr1230
Registered User
 
marcr1230's Avatar
 
marcr1230 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,040
I bought this lens a couple years ago - it looked like it had never been used or taken out - note how clean the lens case and straps are

FYI - this is a bathtub shot - so easy to get clean background

slight distortion due to angle of iPhone taking picture



__________________
Too many cameras, too little time
Gallery: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg....php?uid=25736
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #856
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 66
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
trying to figure out how to post a photo...
This is the most common sentence to be found in the annals here ar RFF. Appears more often than the word "Leica".
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #857
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 66
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
still no luck posting photo straight from Macbook
Ahoy, earthling! Being from earth you are thinking "drag and drop".

This is a foreign land. Posting photos can be done but it requires the "special knowledge".
Please do a search for "how the #%#! do you post a photo here on RFF", and you will be led to the special knowledge.
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #858
marcr1230
Registered User
 
marcr1230's Avatar
 
marcr1230 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,040
One way to post is to upload your photo to anothr site, like photobucket or flickr, and use the generated "BBCode" entry

if you click on reply to a post with a photo in it, you can see where it is hosted and how the embedding works

for example mine - replace with your own link or URL, remove the quotes and enter all characters on one line :

"[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/marcrosen1230/IMG_9273.jpg"
"[/IMG]"

Here's the BBcode in action:

__________________
Too many cameras, too little time
Gallery: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg....php?uid=25736
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #859
rangefindermania
Registered User
 
rangefindermania is offline
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 13
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon F100 Deal - US behind UK ch1 Rangefinder Photography Discussion 4 06-01-2009 11:09
Zeiss lenses for Nikon F MP Guy SLRs - the unRF 13 03-12-2008 23:02
M6 Mini-Rant richard_l Leica M Film Cameras 64 09-15-2005 11:28
My first show! CleverName Rangefinder Photography Discussion 3 07-31-2005 18:51



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 16:18.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.