Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

LEICA M8, 1st GOLDEN TICKET!!!
Old 10-13-2006   #1
Ascender

Talking LEICA M8, 1st GOLDEN TICKET!!!

Hi all,
This is my first post to the forum and I must say first of all that it's great to see that a club like this actually exists. I'm a 14 yr Leica M enthusiast and my first pro setup was an M6 with a Noctulux. Since then I've had numerous Leica's both rangefinder and SLR but obviously there is only one true Leica camera which brings me to the point of my post. I HAVE ONE!! Yes indeed, I received straight from Leica Germany this morning a brand new boxed M8 in silver as per my request. In case you're all wondering a) how I got it and b) if I'm telling the truth, the answer is that I have a bit of a good reputation especially in Germany and also I was very lucky in that I talked to someone at Leica who made it happen..... a VERY NICE MAN INDEED (thank you Steffen and Ebi). So on to the camera itself. It is breathtakingly beautiful and unmistakably Leica both in it's feel and operation. The few images I've taken so far have almost brought tears to my eyes because of those unmistakable Leica tones brought about by that Leica glass which is pretty much what roped most of us into their world in the first place. All the concerns that I've read in this forum and others about it's ability to handle noise are a mute point. The images so far are in a league of their own and aren't comparable to anything else out there from other leading manufacturers. Just like Leica were able to separate themselves from others in the days of film, so have they been able to achieve this same distinction in the digital world. I could go on and on but it is something that just has to be seen to be believed. Lest anyone ask, I will not be posting any sample images out of respect and love for both the company and the aforementioned individuals that have been so kind to me. All I will say to everyone who is interested that it has been worth the wait. BELIEVE THE HYPE! IT IS THE ANSWER TO ALL DREAMS.....LEICA HAVE ARRIVED IN THE DIGITAL ARENA.

-Charlie

Old 10-13-2006   #2
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

Charlie,

That's wonderful news. As soon as you are comfortable doing so please share some of the images with us.

Best Regards,

Bob

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Old 10-13-2006   #3
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

Not wanting to come off as "rude" but, Images talk while all else is fluff.

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 10-13-2006   #4
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

Welcome aboard.

There is a dedicated gallery for the M8 images.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=6346

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Images
Old 10-13-2006   #5
Ascender

Images

They will be out soon and there will be plenty images online I'm sure. The factory in Solm has two thousand ready to go so I'm sure they will meet deadlines. I will ask if it's okay to post something after my two week visit to Europe and if they agree, I will surely oblige.

Old 10-13-2006   #6
Todd.Hanz

Lets see some pics taken with the camera, several people have laid claim to having one yet no one wants to post any images due to loyalty to Leica, pish posh, trust me, once your charge card is plugged for 5G's Leica can give a crap what you do with it.

Old 10-13-2006   #7
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I said nothing important here.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Last edited by Gabriel M.A. : 10-14-2006 at 20:00.

Old 10-13-2006   #8
sf

Images speak louder than words. We've seen images OF the camera. No reason not to share images FROM the camera. Personal reasons, I suppose.

Old 10-13-2006   #9
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.Hanz
Lets see some pics taken with the camera, several people have laid claim to having one yet no one wants to post any images due to loyalty to Leica, pish posh, trust me, once your charge card is plugged for 5G's Leica can give a crap what you do with it.

I'll second that. And when we have so many people here waiting to see if $5K is worth it, deciding to hold back images is kind of...harsh. If Leica knew anything about marketing at all, they'd push you to post those wonderful images. Buzz is the #1 selling power in this market. For sure. If the imaging is as divine as you claim, posting a pic could spark a very powerful market fire that would drive sales far beyond where they will be as people "wait to see" as is generally the strategy.

Of course, none of us has a right to knock anyone's choice to post or not post anything...

Last edited by sf : 10-13-2006 at 20:09.

Old 10-13-2006   #10
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Well, if I had just received a hotly-discussed, sought-after new camera, I wouldn't want to just snap a few random pics and post them just to satisfy everybody's curiosity. I'd darn well try to find some photo subjects that suit the gravitas of the situation, and literally give it my best shot.

Old 10-13-2006   #11
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender
They will be out soon and there will be plenty images online I'm sure. The factory in Solm has two thousand ready to go so I'm sure they will meet deadlines. I will ask if it's okay to post something after my two week visit to Europe and if they agree, I will surely oblige.

Fair enough. Welcome to the forum.

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 10-13-2006   #12
Todd.Hanz

yeah sorry, welcome to the forum

Todd

Old 10-13-2006   #13
MP Guy

We should all welcome the new member as we have done all others in the past. I for one am not a doubter. Remember all who doubted my M8 pictures? Well, obviously I could not reveal my source but in the end everyone knew that it was the real deal. So, I am trusting Ascender with this post and I am sure we will eventually see the end results.

Welcome aboard.

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Old 10-13-2006   #14
RJames

Quote:
Hi all,
This is my first post to the forum and I must say first of all that it's great to see that a club like this actually exists. I'm a 14 yr Leica M enthusiast and my first pro setup was an M6 with a Noctulux. Since then I've had numerous Leica's both rangefinder and SLR but obviously there is only one true Leica camera which brings me to the point of my post. I HAVE ONE!! Yes indeed, I received straight from Leica Germany this morning a brand new boxed M8 in silver as per my request. In case you're all wondering a) how I got it and b) if I'm telling the truth, the answer is that I have a bit of a good reputation especially in Germany and also I was very lucky in that I talked to someone at Leica who made it happen..... a VERY NICE MAN INDEED (thank you Steffen and Ebi). So on to the camera itself. It is breathtakingly beautiful and unmistakably Leica both in it's feel and operation. The few images I've taken so far have almost brought tears to my eyes because of those unmistakable Leica tones brought about by that Leica glass which is pretty much what roped most of us into their world in the first place. All the concerns that I've read in this forum and others about it's ability to handle noise are a mute point. The images so far are in a league of their own and aren't comparable to anything else out there from other leading manufacturers. Just like Leica were able to separate themselves from others in the days of film, so have they been able to achieve this same distinction in the digital world. I could go on and on but it is something that just has to be seen to be believed. Lest anyone ask, I will not be posting any sample images out of respect and love for both the company and the aforementioned individuals that have been so kind to me. All I will say to everyone who is interested that it has been worth the wait. BELIEVE THE HYPE! IT IS THE ANSWER TO ALL DREAMS.....LEICA HAVE ARRIVED IN THE DIGITAL ARENA.

-Charlie
Charlie,
That's great... What is the Serial number...? What is the firmware version...?
Did you get a new lens with it...? I'll have to talk with Ebi and Steffan...
Was that Stefan D. or Steffen K.
Thanks Jim

Old 10-13-2006   #15
Todd.Hanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Torralba
We should all welcome the new member as we have done all others in the past. I for one am not a doubter. Remember all who doubted my M8 pictures? Well, obviously I could not reveal my source but in the end everyone knew that it was the real deal. So, I am trusting Ascender with this post and I am sure we will eventually see the end results.

Welcome aboard.
I'm not a doubter just skeptical

The very first thing I would do if someone dropped an M8 on my doorstep is shoot a picture of the doorstep and post it here, images from the M8 seem to be intellectual property only.

Like I said earlier, Welcome Charlie...and do post some pics at your earliest.

Todd

Old 10-13-2006   #16
RJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.Hanz
I'm not a doubter just skeptical

Todd
Ahhhhh... Trust but verify...

Old 10-13-2006   #17
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

we begin bombing in 5 minutes!

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 10-13-2006   #18
Todd.Hanz

good to see ya Brett!

Old 10-13-2006   #19
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
Well, if I had just received a hotly-discussed, sought-after new camera, I wouldn't want to just snap a few random pics and post them just to satisfy everybody's curiosity. I'd darn well try to find some photo subjects that suit the gravitas of the situation, and literally give it my best shot.

trueness. Wouldn't want my first M8 pics - and the first that many around here will see - to be mediocre. Would have to be worthy shots.

M8/My Intentions.......
Old 10-14-2006   #20
Ascender

M8/My Intentions.......

Weren't to start some kind of 'Is he or isn't he telling the truth' debate so I think we can all agree that the likelihood of me being bated by the nay-sayers into betraying the trust that someone placed in me is ....err....well....less than zero! (However some of the attempts were quite funny).

My posting was an attempt to celebrate the reality of a landmark product by a company we all love and have been waiting so very long for. In that sense I will try again. It's AMAZING and all those who either have one on order or hope to re-finance the kids to afford one WILL NOT be disappointed.

-Charlie

M8-Questions
Old 10-14-2006   #21
Ascender

Wink M8-Questions

Jim,
I cannot seem to locate the serial # as it is not on the base of the camera. I will have to take a closer look in the morning. Firmware version is 1.05 though I'm told that I will receive a link for an update on Oct. 19th. I did not receive an lens with it nor did I need one although I must confess that I've been druelling over the 21 which will of course give me a 28 with the FOVCF.

My lenses include, 35mm 1.4 (which is the only one I've tried on it so far), 50mm 1.4, 50mm Noctulux, 24mm, 75mm 1.4, 90mm 2.8, 90mm 2.0, 135mm. btw, I have an M6 Titanium 35 and 50 pair for sale if anyone's interested.

The new Tri-elmar looks interesting and I may invest at some point.

That would be Steffen Keil and if you know him I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you so give him a call

-Charlie

Old 10-14-2006   #22
sgy1962

Quote:

Now, only 1,999.

Old 10-14-2006   #23
Bromo33333

Quote:
Hi all,
Lest anyone ask, I will not be posting any sample images out of respect and love for both the company and the aforementioned individuals that have been so kind to me. All I will say to everyone who is interested that it has been worth the wait. BELIEVE THE HYPE! IT IS THE ANSWER TO ALL DREAMS.....LEICA HAVE ARRIVED IN THE DIGITAL ARENA.
Why would Leica care about posting of images? Even copies for review, which should be arriving at reviewers areas right now, are expected to a good review - which will include pictures.

Kind of like having respect for the paint manufacturers by not exhibiting any work ...

Do (or don't do) what you gotta - but this makes no sense to me.

Old 10-14-2006   #24
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Ascender: Welcome. As you can see, everyone is chomping at the bit to see some images from a production M8.

Bromo: There has got to be someone at EK who has an M8, no? Let's find him or her!

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 10-14-2006   #25
Mark Norton

The serial number is on the left hand flange of the hot shoe.

It would be interesting to know what your relationship is with Leica that allows you to get a camera so early where the rest of us have to wait in line. Are you a professional? A shareholder? Involved with ACM? The son of Dr Josef Spichtig?

It's good to hear your feedback but there's a worry bead over your objectivity.

Old 10-14-2006   #26
rolo

Welcome Seal

Last edited by rolo : 10-14-2006 at 14:26.

Old 10-14-2006   #27
Bromo33333

If Leica were to send a M8 to soneone right off the line - and tell them not to post photos, wouldn't it make sense for them to tell the person not even to tell anyone they have one (I am assuming that the original poster got some sort of special treatment if he really did get an earlier than general release M8).

This whole thing seems fishy to me.

Serial # and some sort of other proof would be required for me to think this is more than a bluff.

Old 10-14-2006   #28
John

Ascender, welcome to the forum. I am very happy to hear that the M8 images surpass those from other manufacturers. It is going to be so much fun to "test" all of the lens combinations that are possible. It sounds like there will be a posting "frenzy" when those 2000 cameras are shipped.

Contax G2, Planar 45/2.0, Sonnar 90/2.8

Old 10-14-2006   #29
RML
Just live it.

Ye of little faith! Patience is a virtue!

Sorry for the biblical tone but, dang!, you guys are hard for a newcomer, and ungrateful to boot. Let the man enjoy his new gear and give him some time to get some worthy shots.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

M8- Thoughts
Old 10-14-2006   #30
Ascender

M8- Thoughts

You know,
it really is quite amazing how negative people can be, not only on this site but in general. I joined and posted some comments on this site for the benefit of all the people who were thinking of getting an M8 or aspiring towards one. All that seems to have been achieved is a flurry of bitter responses from the likes of ‘Rolo’ & ‘Bromo’ to name a couple. Don’t you get it? I don’t particularly care whether anyone believes me or not! That’s not the point! The point is that I’m holding a brand new M8 in my hand which Steffen Keil was kind enough to give me! Why? Well in answer to your question Mark Norton I am not the son of Dr. Spichtig. My name is Seal and I am the recording artist known as. The reason I received an M8 yesterday morning was because I called up Leica a few months ago before it was even announced and established a rap pour with them. Of course they were keen to have high profile personalities such as myself and my wife Heidi Klum interested in Leica products. They also knew from B&H photo and Samy’s on the West coast that I’ve probably owned and sold more Leica equipment over the last 14 years than you (Mr. Norton) have had hot dinners! I’m also fortunate enough to have some great classic ‘Magnum’ prints from some of the greatest photographers of our time hanging on our walls at home so I guess it was clear to them that I did have some understanding and passion for the art

Because of my fortunate position, recourses and passion for photography, I actually use all the camera equipment I buy as opposed to reading about it then casting so-called expert opinions. So I wouldn’t concern yourself with the ‘worry bead over my objectivity’. If I get time today (I have been away writing in Mendocino for the last two weeks and my family now own me before I leave tomorrow for Europe), I will post the serial number if only to reassure believers like ‘Trius’ and Jorge himself who it seems has taken a great deal of time and money putting this site together for the benefit of others.

Again, my initial post was to try and reassure people that the wait was worthwhile. If that’s the message you got then great. If not, then sorry for wasting your time.

-Charlie (aka Seal)

Old 10-14-2006   #31
gogopix
Graf

Dear Charlie

Welcome to the forum..

Lots of good information...
Ihope you enjoy theM8...

I am curious what lenses you will be using..

Regards
Victor

PS: Charlie, do you feel like the farmer who walks into the hen house with a bucket of corn? All the hens run up, peck at you yelling "

corn, corn corn..."

here it is

" images, images images..."

[did I say that?]

I suggest enjoying them privately for while; once you start posting, the'hens' will start picking...

Old 10-14-2006   #32
RML
Just live it.

Oh boy. Do I see some egg on some people's faces?

Charlie, I guess youré tough when it comes to critique. Expect quite a bit when you post shots. If they haven't been taken by HCB himself, I reckon some won't find them good enough.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 10-14-2006   #33
MP Guy

Dear Charlie and all those who have cast some doubt on his post. Let me say the following:

I have spoken with my friends in the Leica circle and can confirm that what Charlie says is true. Most likely Charlie can not post the pictures because of the missing final firmware. This is an understanding between Leica and those they really trust. So Charlie, congrats and enjoy that baby.

I for one appreciate you taking the time to let us know the wait is well worth it. If the pictures you have taken with the camera are as outstanding as you say, I cant imagine with the final firmware.

Oh, dont let these guys get to you. For the most part this is probably the firendliest camera site on the net

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Old 10-14-2006   #34
Susan_NYC

Congratulations! Will you talk about lenses? Which did you use? How do the results compare?

Old 10-14-2006   #35
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Oh, dont let these guys get to you. For the most part this is probably the firendliest camera site on the net [/quote]

I have to agree with that ... and Charlie (may I call you 'Seal' ... JUST JOKING!) when you revealed your true identity I'm amazed that someone didn't ask you to examine your body for a serial number to verify your authenticity!

Old 10-14-2006   #36
MP Guy

Charlie, I hope these guys didnt drive you away. As I said before, this site welcomes all. Its a small world of RFF owners and we huddle here. Every now and then we have to dela with the occasional troll and trouble maker but they are a small percentage of our members. We all look forward to seeing the picture when the time is right. So hang tight and dont go away

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Old 10-14-2006   #37
rolo

Quote:
You know,
I joined and posted some comments on this site for the benefit of all the people who were thinking of getting an M8 or aspiring towards one. All that seems to have been achieved is a flurry of bitter responses from the likes of ‘Rolo’ & ‘Bromo’ to name a couple.

Again, my initial post was to try and reassure people that the wait was worthwhile. If that’s the message you got then great. If not, then sorry for wasting your time.

-Charlie (aka Seal)

Charlie,

the posts weren't bitter, they were flippant, sceptical and for good reason maybe. No offence was meant, or stated.

The M8 is a jewel that the Leica world is holding its breath for and this guy turns up and says "one drops into my lap, but I can't show it you ...... "? There's been dozens of posts for months stating I've seen it; I've used it .... and you Dear Charlie are the first to say "I own it".

Well, I'm pleased for you and trust you'll put it to good use. The sooner we see the results the better. Good shooting and if you play Manchester again I'll buy you a beer.

Old 10-14-2006   #38
Bromo33333

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo
Charlie,

the posts weren't bitter, they were flippant, sceptical and for good reason maybe. No offence was meant, or stated.

The M8 is a jewel that the Leica world is holding its breath for and this guy turns up and says "one drops into my lap, but I can't show it you ...... "? There's been dozens of posts for months stating I've seen it; I've used it .... and you Dear Charlie are the first to say "I own it".

Well, I'm pleased for you and trust you'll put it to good use. The sooner we see the results the better. Good shooting and if you play Manchester again I'll buy you a beer.
I wasn't trying to be hars or troll like either - but I find it highly suspicious for the same reasons stated above.

I am a firm believer in the "trust but verify" adage - and if you really have it - have fun and enjoy the camera - but given my sceptical nature I usually require a bit more proof than a "trust me." Call it a defect in my personality (I *am* from Missouri, though, the "Show Me" State (state motto), so perhaps it is cultural and I am cursed, then...?)

Old 10-14-2006   #39
Bob Ross

Quote:
You know,
it really is quite amazing how negative people can be, not only on this site but in general.

-Charlie (aka Seal)
Hi Charlie and welcome, congratulations and don't let the streaky negatives bother you, just put them back into the wash The various forums do certainly point out that we are all wired uniquely.
I am one of those that was reassured by your story, but then I don't have many doubts to feed with worry about the M8. I do hope that you will come back with further comment on the handling personality during actual useage.
Cheers,
Bob

Old 10-14-2006   #40
iñaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Torralba
Dear Charlie and all those who have cast some doubt on his post. Let me say the following:

I have spoken with my friends in the Leica circle and can confirm that what Charlie says is true. Most likely Charlie can not post the pictures because of the missing final firmware. This is an understanding between Leica and those they really trust. So Charlie, congrats and enjoy that baby.

I for one appreciate you taking the time to let us know the wait is well worth it. If the pictures you have taken with the camera are as outstanding as you say, I cant imagine with the final firmware.

Oh, dont let these guys get to you. For the most part this is probably the firendliest camera site on the net
If Jorge says it´s true, I believe him.
Welcome Charlie, I really like your music and now I like your cameras (I like Heidi too .)
I hope you´ll post some pics when you can do it.