Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M Film Cameras

Hood for Rigid Summicron 50/2
Old 09-14-2006   #1
Sputty

Hood for Rigid Summicron 50/2

I'm looking for a hood for my rigid summicron 50/2. What hoods will fit this lens? Does anybody have one they'd be intereted in selling?

Thanks,
Jonathon

Old 09-14-2006   #2
Stu W

http://cgi.ebay.com/39MM-VENTED-META...QQcmdZViewItem
Excellent hood at a great price. Stu

Old 09-15-2006   #3
Sputty

Thanks Stu.

Old 09-15-2006   #4
furcafe

I'll 2nd Stu's recommendation of a regular vented 39mm screw-in hood (there's an ebay seller named heavystar who also sells them for cheap). When I had a Dual Range (I now have a regular Rigid), I used the "official" Leitz 12585 clip-on & while it certainly did the job & could be stored on the lens reversed (there's a special lens cap that fits over the hood when it's reversed, too), I found the 12585 to be overly large & the clip-on mechanism to be a PITA (I'm a keep the hood on the lens all the time kind of guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputty
I'm looking for a hood for my rigid summicron 50/2. What hoods will fit this lens? Does anybody have one they'd be intereted in selling?

Thanks,
Jonathon
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-16-2006   #5
Jerevan
Recycled User

Slightly off-topic, but:

can these cheap hoods be used together with a filter, or do I need to buy the (expensive) clip-on one?

Old 09-16-2006   #6
ray_g
>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan
Slightly off-topic, but:

can these cheap hoods be used together with a filter, or do I need to buy the (expensive) clip-on one?
Yes, 39mm filter on the lens, then screw-in hood on filter.

I like keeping the hood on too. That is my main objection with the otherwise great inexpensive hoods on ebay. I personally like B+W's thick collapsible rubber hood for ease of use.

Old 09-17-2006   #7
venchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g

I like keeping the hood on too. That is my main objection with the otherwise great inexpensive hoods on ebay. I personally like B+W's thick collapsible rubber hood for ease of use.
UNLESS...you have a Leitz E39 filter with NO front threads! Been there. Didn't get the hood on.

Check your filters. If they have threads, the 39mm hoods will work.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 09-17-2006   #8
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g

I, too, like B+W's thick collapsible rubber hood. So, not to challenge ray_g's opinion, but I later decided to swap it out for one of the inexpensive hoods off ebay. Reason being that I like to be able to slip my camera into my carry-around camera bag and be able to quickly pull it out and be ready for a shot when the situation arises. (note that I'm talking about when I'm walking around town, not when I'm putting the camera bag away for the night) And the concern I had with the B+W collapsible hood is that it doesn't provide the front lens element any protection when I slip the camera back into the bag whereas the inexpensive solid hood does. Hope this explanation makes sense. Oh, and I found that a 48mm snap-cap covers fits nicely into the front of the inexpensive sloping front solid hood so I still put a cap on when putting the camera bag away for the night. Sorta the best of both worlds, although the solid hood does add significant length to the overall lens profile which might be a challenge for some camera bags.

-Randy