Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

HU: Kiev/Contax interest - Lucky Film cassettes dismantle
Old 09-12-2006   #1
Ash
Selflessly Self-involved

HU: Kiev/Contax interest - Lucky Film cassettes dismantle

I just shot a roll of Lucky SHD-400 135 film. I didn't realise until afterwards that the film cans will open. This means for us Kiev (and possibly Contax) users, that the dual-cassette method is still possible!

I feared that the only cassettes I had that would open are about 30 years old and full of dust, or else I'd have to buy reloadable cassettes.

Thought people might want a HU if they didn't already know.

Usually I bulk roll my film and tape it into the can, but I'm guessing now this means buy a bunch of Lucky films for about 1.60 each, shoot the film (test roll if you dont like the brand), then use the cans as refillable and reversible, instead of using a removable take-up spool.

Somehow also the roll of Lucky managed to scrunch the photo's very close together, literally 0.5mm gap between shots - very rare for the Kiev I own!

Old 09-12-2006   #2
sockeyed

The Efke cannisters are reusable, too. You might have to twist a bit, but the bottom pops off pretty easily.

Sockeyed Photo

Flickr

My Gallery

Old 09-12-2006   #3
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Reusable canisters are really cheap on eBay. I got two Watson bulk loaders and 48 reloadable canisters for 20 EUR. That should be enough for a while.