Dear people who know Madrid, in about two weeks I'll be in Madrid for a 1 week business trip. I'll be busy with work for about 5 of the days and 3 of the the evenings, but I plan to use the rest of my waking hours to wander the city and shoot pictures. I don't plan to sleep much. I imagine that it'll be very very hot.
I've been to Madrid once before, but only for a long weekend and loved it. Attached is my favorite picture from that trip, so you can get an idea of what I'm into. People shots, people doing everyday things. I will be staying in the area just North of the Retiro park. My favorite shooting times are early morning (5 to 7am) and in the evening.
Here are some ideas/locations I currently have in mind, and some questions regarding them:
- early-morning street/metro activities - shops opening, tired post-clubbing people, wholesale markets (Q: is there a large fish or vegetable market that is open to me to wander around in?), Chocolateria San Gines in the wee hours, Q: any other ideas?
- Bleak suburbs North of the city centre - housing developments, urban housing projects. Q: are there any areas that are particularly striking? Are they safe areas in terms of crime?
- Statue of Lucifer. Q: where is it?
- Museo del Jamon and other deli/ham type places. Q: want a picture of a bustling place with lots of hams hanging from the ceiling
- Local neighborhood Fiestas - Q: how can I find out what is going on between July 15 and 22nd?
- Estacion de Atocha - the old glasshouse part sounds interesting Q: is it?
- Q: are there fortune tellers in del Retiro? If so, where to they sit?
Regarding equipment, I'll have to travel pretty light as I'll probably have a work briefcase with me alot of the time. I haven't decided what to bring yet, but am thinking of a Rollei 35SE with 100-200 ASA colour neg for bright light situations, and a Minolta CLE with Neopan 1600 for low light situations. For the CLE, am thinking of the 40/2, a 21/2.8, and possibly 75/2.5 lenses.
I would love to hear your input on these ideas, any other ideas of places to take pictures, how best to fulfill them, either by posting here, or private message, or email technical_english at yahoo dot com.
THANKS ALOT IN ADVANCE, regards, Yaron