Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Contax II........Serviced by .....
Old 12-07-2004   #1
Canon P

Contax II........Serviced by .....

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Contax II in good user condition, especially shutter working fine. The outside was not that beautiful, so I decided to take the shutter out of it and put it into another beautiful Contax II with broken shutter straps. On the inside of the working Contax there was a sticker "Serviced by .....". And what I found then was hard to believe. Nearls every screw was messed up, scratches here and there. I have seen a lot Contaxes inside but this one was messed up by a service man with wrong tools and less knowledge. For sure, it was not the work of the 90 year old gentleman who took pictures with it and his daughter who sold it.

I was lucky taking the parts and screws out of my other Contax, so it looked great and worked that way. There are a lot of discussions about overhaul prices being to high, to look for cheap repairman, the Contax I hold in my hands may be a result of this.

These Rangefinders should work, and to my mind should look inside like they look outside. It is astonishing, the sticker looked quite old, I don`t think it was a technician of our times who started destroying this fine cam, those guys were also available in the past.

Cheers
Uwe

Old 12-31-2004   #2
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

By now, all these cameras have a long history. Maybe someone else buggered it up years after the original repairman did his work and applied his sticker.