Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids Dedicated to Lomo / Diana, Holga, Pinhole, and Polaroid photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Old 05-16-2006   #41
Gordon Coale

Bill -- I've been wanting a Petzval. Would you be willing to part with one of them? Or are you planning on a Petzval stereo camera?
Digital: Panasonic GH3 and GX7, Olympus Pen Mini E-PM2, Olympus Pen E-P2 converted to IR
gordy's camera straps for sale * my 500px portfolio * my feedback

Old 05-16-2006   #42
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Coale
Bill -- I've been wanting a Petzval. Would you be willing to part with one of them? Or are you planning on a Petzval stereo camera?
Well, I just paid for them (Item #7617505259), so I don't have them yet. But let me get them into the lab, and see what's on the slab, and (oh wait, I'm channeling Rocky Horror again) and we can talk. Who knows, they may not even have glass in them.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-16-2006   #43
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Good luck Bill. Don't forget, a few good deep breaths before surgery always calms the hands. A good shot of scotch wouldn't hurt either.

Old 05-16-2006   #44
Gordon Coale

I just bought a $5 250. The madness continues.

You don't need to have your eye right up to the rangefinder on the 250. It's nice and large. The picture is from Noah's Low Profile 4x5 Polaroid 180 Camera Project (scroll down). The 180 is the same as the 250 but for the lens. I don't think there is any reason to move it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150.jpg (49.9 KB, 75 views)
Digital: Panasonic GH3 and GX7, Olympus Pen Mini E-PM2, Olympus Pen E-P2 converted to IR

Old 05-16-2006   #45
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32
Good luck Bill. Don't forget, a few good deep breaths before surgery always calms the hands. A good shot of scotch wouldn't hurt either.
Bourbon is my tipple, but yes. Sometimes I get so steady, I can hardly move.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-16-2006   #46
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundman
Now, what about colors, coverings. LOL
Hammertone grey, of course. Hey, I'm color-blind and have no imagination.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-16-2006   #47
bmattock

Can we call it something else? That word 'roid' has kind of a negative connotation...

Maybe a Polastein?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-18-2006   #48
Gordon Coale

Here is a post in my blog on how this Polaroid madness has changed some of my directions in photography.

Old 05-18-2006   #49
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
Can we call it something else? That word 'roid' has kind of a negative connotation...

Maybe a Polastein?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Yeah, 'roid Haxor sounds messy
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

Old 05-18-2006   #50
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

I was just getting ready to take my M3 apart to fix its jammed shutter, and while it was apart to graft on the guts from my cell phone so I could have a leica phone camera WHEN I FOUND THIS THREAD LINKED ON GORDY'S Blog. I have a 110a that I hadn't gotten around to converting to a colorpack back yet. I like the graflock back idea much better. I'll be clearing off my milling machine, dividing head and rotary table to machine one of these things before I *******ize my Leica. The J66 polaroid has the same body as the 110b sans rangefinder, with a different lensboard( more like the newer colorpack cameras). These are really cheap to buy. A person could get one of these, practice adapting to graphlock without damaging a valuable camera in a failed attempt. If the conversion went well, install a better lens.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1007'>My Gallery</a>

Last edited by 2maneekameras : 05-19-2006 at 16:30.

Old 05-18-2006   #51
bmattock

I don't know if this information is useful, but I bought a box of old parts for a Polaroid MP-3 copy camera a year or so ago - just wanted the Tominon lens, as I recall. Anyway, I got a raft of fun parts with it that I've never found a use for, but might now. One is a 'reflex viewer hood' that has a mirror in it, converts the reversed image on a ground glass to a 'rightside up' image. I saw Horseman sold something like it for a couple thousand dolars - this was 10 bucks plus shipping. Also, the box o' crap contained a 'roll film back' for the MP-3, which appears for all the world to be a Pathfinder 110a body (heavy steel) without rangfinder or mechanism (flat top) and no door/bellows/lens/etc up front - just a rectangular opening where one could presumably mount a cone-shaped device in lieu of a bellows and then a fancy-schmancy wide-angle lens. Convert the back to 4x5 as so many have done, and it seems this would be just like Razzledog's 9x12 camera, except you don't need to cut the snout off, it is already off.

So, if interesting, just do a eBoy search for the MP-3 roll film adapter back. I can't do that from work, but when I get home, I can post a model number / photos if anyone is interested.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-24-2006   #52
Gordon Coale

My Polaroid 250 arrived. Here it is with the Graflok back and Kodak Ektar 127 that will end up on it. The 250 is quite a bit smaller than the 110b. The Graflok back is usually trimmed to fit on the back of the 110b. The ground glass holder in the Graflok back is about the height of the back of the 250. I want to keep the Graflock back untouched so it's going to extend a bit above and below the 250. Now to start taking things apart and to send the Ektar 127 off for a CLA. And then figure out how it's all going to go together. It even had nice lugs for one of my neck straps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graflok-1100.jpg (100.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Gordon Coale : 05-24-2006 at 16:53.

Old 05-24-2006   #53
Gordon Coale

3 fingers -- would that be on both hands?

Old 05-24-2006   #54
remrf
AZRF

Very cool. I think I'm feeling just the slightest onset of GAS . A compact folding rangefinder in 4x5" . OOOOOh!.

Is it done yet???????????
Leica IIIa w/Summar 50mm f-2, Zorki 2c w/Industar 22 and 61 50mm, Yashica Electro 35 GS, Minolta x-700(2)w/28,50, 28-85,28-200mm, Minolta 7000 w/28-200mm lens, Mamiya C-3w/105 and 180mm, Rolleicord 1V w/80mm f-3.5 Zenar, Mamiya 645 w/ Mamiya f-4 210mm, f-3.5 150mm,f-2.8 55mm,Vega f-2.8 90mm, Mamiya f-2.8 80mm, Omega View cameras(2, "E" and "D") Schneider Zenar f-6.1 210 mm and Super Angulon f-8 90 mm, Graflex Crown Graffic w/ Optar f-4.5 150 mm, Minolta Z-1 Digital.

WestViews

Old 05-24-2006   #55
bmattock

Quote:
I think this is going to be interesting. Bill has his. I just hope we don't end up calling him 3 fingered bill.
That would have been my great-grandfather, K.C. Jones. A carpenter by trade, he would not put away his power tools just because he could no longer see the boards he was cutting...

I'll try to be careful.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-27-2006   #56
Gordon Coale

I spent some time today destroying my Polaroid 250. The first picture is as it was, with the back and lens that will be installed on it. The second picture are the tools needed to take it apart. There were very few screws. Some slotted and some Philips. Mostly it was drilling out rivets. And the pile of parts taken off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graflok-1100.jpg (100.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg pola1-800.jpg (72.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg pola2-800.jpg (70.6 KB, 65 views)

Old 05-27-2006   #57
Gordon Coale

Here it is ready to be transformed into a 4x5 rangefinder camera. First I will need to get the lens a good CLA then get it mounted. Then I can find where infinity focus will be and go from there. I have a good idea of how I'm going to get there but mounting the lens will give me some specifics.

The Kodak Ektar 127, on 4x5, will be equivalent to a 36mm lens on a 35mm camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pola3-800.jpg (113.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg pola4-800.jpg (108.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg pola45-800.jpg (36.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Gordon Coale : 05-27-2006 at 16:44.

Old 05-27-2006   #58
Gordon Coale

I suspect that putting it all back together is going to take a wee bit more time then ripping it apart.

Old 05-27-2006   #59
DougK
This space left blank

Too cool, Gordon! I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Old 05-27-2006   #60
Gordon Coale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirchge
Too cool, Gordon! I can't wait to see how this comes out.
Neither can I!

Old 05-27-2006   #61
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

This is definitely a fun thread to watch.
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

modified polaroid 250
Old 05-28-2006   #62
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

modified polaroid 250

Here is some information about a modified polaroid 250 I got about 12 years ago. I bought it for the 90mm lens someone had installed.This lens was originally a wide angle lens for a 4X5. I took the lens off to use with my view cameras and replaced it with an old kodak anastigmat mounted in a compur shutter. There are two ways to focus this camera. The lens has a rim focusing front element. I prefer to move the lensboard rather than move lens elements to focus. I installed a temporary groundglass, made and calibrated a focus scale. I have attached a picture noting the modifications on this camera. I also have two shots of this camera next to a polaroid 110A nad a J66 for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polaroid_modified.JPG (49.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 'roids_headon.JPG (72.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 'roids.jpg (65.5 KB, 51 views)

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1007'>My Gallery</a>

Old 05-28-2006   #63
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

I got so excited seeing Gordy's dismantled polaroid that I just had to make one myself. I have had a modified polaroid for over 10 years and never reaaly thought much about its uniqueness. When I wanted polaroids I used my polaroid 545 filmholer with one of my 4X5 viewcameras or a speed graphic. I was in the middle of a project making a new mouthpipe for a sousaphone, when this urge hit hard. I didn't have the patience to drill out all the rivets, so I just taped and wired averything together. Here are the results: a polaroid 250 attaced to a crown graphic 4X5 body with a 260mm 10 process nikkor lens. Two bellows gives lots of bellows draw, two ways to focus as well. Attached are: camera picture, groundglass image and the actual photo seen on the groundglass. Notice the graphmatic and polaroid 545 filmholder in the picture( both can be used with this camera).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera_sideview.JPG (51.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg groundglass_image.JPG (41.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg tubas,graphmatic&polaroid545.JPG (117.7 KB, 31 views)

Old 05-29-2006   #64
Gordon Coale

I've obviously had too much time on my hands this weekend. Some more progress on the Polaroid project. I dropped in on 2maneekameras yesterday and we got the front element loose on my 127 Ektar 4.7. The slow speed range isn't working. The shutter hangs open. One option is to send the shutter out for a CLA and that needed the lens cells to come out. That was easy but the wooden lens board seems to have swollen from being in a damp storage. I will keep it in a warm dry place and see if it shrinks and I can get the board off.

I thought I would pull off the front cover to see if there is anything obvious to account for the slow speeds not working. I looked and fiddled and then quickly put it all back together. I will be sending it off to Carol Miller. It will be $50 for a CLA and it will come back with a list of actual shutter speeds. I takes 3 to 4 weeks so it will be another month or two before I can mount the lens on the Polaroid.

In the meantime I will be filing away on the Polaroid lens board to provide clearence for the Ektar. The Kodak 127/4.7 Ektars are pretty good lenses and can be had for a reasonable amount. A 4 element Tessar that was popular on press cameras. They can be had, with some patience, for under $50 on eBay. This one was on my 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic that I've had for a long time. The 4x5 Polaroid will be more useful than the Speed Graphic. Not as pretty, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1pola1-700.jpg (76.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1pola2-800.jpg (68.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1pola3-800.jpg (115.3 KB, 42 views)

Old 05-31-2006   #65
Gordon Coale

greyhoundman -- Good work!

My lens is still stuck on it's old wooden lens board. I can't get the retaining ring off and I don't want to destroy the lensboard -- yet. I'm hoping that keeping it in a dryer area than it was will help. I posted about this project at APUG and received a post letting me know that the lens on the 250, and related cameras, was a 114mm lens and that the rangefinder might not work with the 127. After a night of despair I received an email from someone who mounted a 127 on a 350 (a plastic version of the 250) and got it to work: Pink Panther Special 4x5 Rangefinder Coupled. My despair has turned to elation. Now to get back to removing metal on the Polaroid lensboard and trying to get the lens of the old lensboard.

Old 05-31-2006   #66
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

I stripped one of my colorpack cameras yesterday. I took more parts off than Gordy. I have devised a rising front and a sideshift mount for the front standard, also a filmholder groundglass. I will probably remove the randgefinder and install an accessory shoe and use an auxillary self-contained rf that I have. the first pict shows parts removed and tools used to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dismantled.JPG (71.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg stripped_back.JPG (48.4 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by 2maneekameras : 06-01-2006 at 07:25.

Old 06-01-2006   #67
DougK
This space left blank

I love this thread... camera hacking at its finest.

Old 06-01-2006   #68
Gordon Coale

I thought it was camera abuse.

Old 06-01-2006   #69
bmattock

Quote:
RF unit mounted on new film back. Made adjustable with slots in mounting plate.

RF arm on camera extended to reach new position of units lever.
Interesting that you decided to move it 'back' and not 'over' to one side. I think your solution is more elegant, since there should be no play in the coupling. How's it working?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 06-02-2006   #70
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

I made the rising front hardware tonight. I used the originial fastener(3-48 screws)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut2length.JPG (53.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg tapping.JPG (64.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg lensboard_standards.JPG (64.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 2maneekameras : 06-02-2006 at 01:55.

Old 06-02-2006   #71
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

Here is the rising front in action
Attached Images
File Type: jpg down.JPG (55.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg up.jpg (28.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg rising_front.JPG (52.7 KB, 59 views)

Old 06-02-2006   #72
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

The next step, fabricate the side shift mechanism. Then modify the lensboard to fit the 135mm 4.5 tessar in a compur shutter. Then back construction and finally make the teak hand grip. The film may be instant the the camera making isn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tessar&teak.JPG (50.9 KB, 29 views)

Old 06-02-2006   #73
Gordon Coale

greyhoundman,

Bill's description is right on -- elegant. Simple is always better. Now to see how the rangefinder tracks with the ground glass but you have great adjustability with that slotted top plate. I got to thinking about it and that back design would take a Grafmatic. It just may need a little more spacing for the thicker Grafmatic. Great solution.

Old 06-05-2006   #74
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

I have finished carving the teak handgrips. I won't do the final installation until the back is finished. i decided to do the back wooden transition pieces out of teak also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teak_grip_exposed.JPG (81.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg teak_grip.JPG (75.3 KB, 43 views)

Old 06-05-2006   #75
remrf
AZRF

I couldn't stand it any longer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623140782

This is just too cool not to try.

I'm going about it a little differently but will end up at the same point. I'm using the "grafloc" style film back and ground glass from my Omega E model view camera. It uses a Grafloc style sliding mount to attach to the view camera body so I will replicate the sliding mount on the adapter plate to mate to the 250 body.

I haven't decided if I will use the lens from my Crown Graphic or if I will cruise the lf lens section of ebay for a 127mm as others are doing. The lens I have is a 150mm Optar which will need some rangefinder adjustment (and possibly some additional spacing of the film back) if I go that way. If I understand the process correctly this setup while trickey is not impossible to do and I have a pretty complete machine shop at my disposal (a basic one at home and a complete cnc setup at work).

Sigh....

A hacking Gas attack......

Possibly the worst kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x5rf1.jpg (422.7 KB, 45 views)
Leica IIIa w/Summar 50mm f-2, Zorki 2c w/Industar 22 and 61 50mm, Yashica Electro 35 GS, Minolta x-700(2)w/28,50, 28-85,28-200mm, Minolta 7000 w/28-200mm lens, Mamiya C-3w/105 and 180mm, Rolleicord 1V w/80mm f-3.5 Zenar, Mamiya 645 w/ Mamiya f-4 210mm, f-3.5 150mm,f-2.8 55mm,Vega f-2.8 90mm, Mamiya f-2.8 80mm, Omega View cameras(2, "E" and "D") Schneider Zenar f-6.1 210 mm and Super Angulon f-8 90 mm, Graflex Crown Graffic w/ Optar f-4.5 150 mm, Minolta Z-1 Digital.

WestViews

Old 06-05-2006   #76
bmattock

Welcome to the dark slide, er side! I am way behind, my work waits for me. But I must sell all my other cameras first. Slow slogging. Anybody want to buy a Petri Racer?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

modification for lens of different focal length
Old 06-06-2006   #77
2maneekameras
home on the rangefinder

modification for lens of different focal length

This seems like a good time to display a way to modify the focusing linkage for those who want to use a replacement lens of a different focal length than the original one. The camera on the left has the bellows extension linkage in the original configuration. The camera on the right has been modified for use with a lens of a shorter focal length. Both cameras are set to infinity. Modifications to the camera on the right: The lensboard was removed from the struts and material was removed from the top to allow mounting of a better lens and shutter. A pc flash connector was also added to the lensboard at this time and later electrically connected the the flash contacts of the shutter. The new lens had a focal length of 90mm as opposed to 114mm. With the orginal set up, the bellows would not retract enough to focus at infinity with the new lens. The struts were shortened by removing material at the outboard end. The pivot point was also changed on the lens board. I temporarily installed a groundglass at the film plane and the lens was focused at infinity with the struts diconnected from the lensboard. New holes were drilled in the lensboard and modified strut ends, to retain the assembly at this position. The focus scale was then recalibrated for this modified linkage. A viewfinder off a Polaroid J66 was installed and oriented to match the groundglass image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellows_top.JPG (54.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg bellows_bottom.JPG (52.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by 2maneekameras : 06-06-2006 at 07:17.

Old 06-06-2006   #78
bmattock

That is some really intricate and detailed work! I'm in awe, I doubt my attempt will much more than a hatchet-job - I'll be lucky if it doesn't leak light. But I'm inspired by watching it.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 06-08-2006   #79
remrf
AZRF

Durn!!!!!!!!

One of the machine shop programs running right now where I work is producing "scrap" aluminum plates that are 1/4"x6.25"x7.25". When I saw them it occurred to me that they were about right for the outside dimensions of the adapter plate I would need to make to mount the Omega film back/groundglass assembly to the camera body. And it would be free. They have a 3/4" hole near the center of the plate but that section would be milled away anyway.

But it ain't gonna' work. I just measured the Omega back and although I could make a plate that would just slip inside the back for a light seal there would not be enough material to make the sliding lock mounting system I want to use on the project. I want to leave the Omega back free to use with both cameras so the mount system has to be non permanent.

Durn!!!!!

I don't have the 250 yet so I don't know if the surfaces that are left after cutting away the back are sturdy enough to mount a locking system on them instead. Or if that is even possible.

Come on U.S.P.S.

WestViews

Old 03-21-2011   #80
pixelatedscraps

Is anyone still working on their Polaroid 4x5 conversions? I've only just recently dipped my curious toes into the LF world and went from looking up a Toyo 45CF (shudder) to playing with a Crown Graphic and then to finding out about a certain Mr. Littman and his circus, to now coming back here and finding there are users making their own Polaroid 4x5 conversions.

Needless to say, I'm looking to buy one. I am a street / portrait shooter with not much need for architectural / landscape tilt/shift/swing movements so one of these would be perfect for me. Any options other than Razzle or Eastcamtechs?

PLAY
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Plaubel Makina W67
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4

WORK
Nikon D800E | Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 | 60mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor | 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor | Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VRII

Canon 5D MKII | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L I | 100mm f/2.8 L Macro | 70-200m f/4 IS L

www.jrmaloney.com