Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Ikon ZM

Zeiss Ikon ZM This is for the current production Leica M mount Zeiss Ikon camera and lenses.

Zeiss Icon / Contina Prontor-SVS
Old 04-22-2006   #1
mw_uio

Zeiss Icon / Contina Prontor-SVS

I found this camera in a box today in the garage...

Shutter fires on speeds. View finder clean and not haze.

On the lens it says.. Contina Prontor-SVS....Novar Anastigmat... 1:3.5 f=45mm

The filter is: Toshiba 27mm SL-1A

My question is how does the dial on the top of the camera work to set the film speed...as it seems to display shutter speeds...and F stops with ASA/DIN.

thanks
Mark

F3HP/MD4, 28mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8
Stylus Epic F2.8

Old 04-22-2006   #2
drmatthes
Zeiss Addict

I have no exact idea, but this link

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

might help. The meter is coupled to both speed and aperture rings, and somewhere (mirrored into the finder as in other late ZI models like the Contessas?) must be two needles that need to be aligned for proper exposure.

Jesko

2006 AD
800 yrs Dresden
80 yrs Zeiss Ikon

Old 04-22-2006   #3
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Meter is not coupled. You set the ASA (what we used to call ISO) on the inner ring on top of the camera. Then turn the outer ring until the match-needle is within the circle. This will give you an EV number (0-18 or something like that) and you set that EV number on the LVS scale of the locked aperture/shutter speed on the lens barrel. Press in on the tabs on the lens to unlock temporarily if you can't get the EV dialed in. Then, any choice you make for aperture/shutter speed will be correct exposure.

Except...

Can't trust those old selenium meters anymore.

Just disregard it and use an external meter.

Fine camera, though. Very nice lens.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 04-23-2006   #4
Madrigal
Three-Shot Rose

I've got the Contina IIa and just love using it. Gotten a decent pic or two once I remembered to focus... my distance judgement is improving, apparently

Old 04-24-2006   #5
titrisol
Bottom Feeder

in the butkus website there is a manual for your contina
Sorry Paul Simon

My gallery

Old 04-24-2006   #6
Madrigal
Three-Shot Rose

If you have trouble finding the manual, let me know. I have one I can send you.

Old 05-01-2006   #7
ricpr
Rich

Funny...... I just received this very camera in the mail today, except mine has the 45mm 2.8 . I have owned it all of 5 minutes and here I am to ask the very questions that mw asked. For $19 you just can't beat this camera.

Bill, the inner ring also has aperture settings. Any idea how that translates to the EV number? Thanks for all the answers.

Old 05-01-2006   #8
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpr
Funny...... I just received this very camera in the mail today, except mine has the 45mm 2.8 . I have owned it all of 5 minutes and here I am to ask the very questions that mw asked. For $19 you just can't beat this camera.

Bill, the inner ring also has aperture settings. Any idea how that translates to the EV number? Thanks for all the answers.
If you look down from the top of the camera, you will see f-stops and shutter speeds. The aperture ring has a metal tab that you press down in order to move the aperture ring without moving the shutter speed as well, yes?

Now, while holding the camera as if you were going to take a photo, look where your right hand is. On the side of the lens barrel, same ring as the aperture ring, is another set of numbers. That's the EV numbers. Note a red triangle on the shutter speed ring (this is all at the 3 o'clock position, or 9 o'clock if you are viewing the camera from the front). That's what you line up to make your EV number.

Say you measure the light with the meter on the top of the camera (note the cool flip-up cover - you just press in slightly on the hinge pin and it pops open). You set your ASA (now known as ISO, but the number is the same) and take a reading. You match the needle with the ball, and the red triangle (different red triangle, this one is on top of the ISO dial) tells you your EV number.

Now go back to the side of the camera. Hold in the release tab for the aperture ring and move it until that EV number appears across from the red triangle (the one on the shutter ring). Release the tab.

Now you have correct aperture & speed for the meter - assuming the meter is right after all these years. You can move the shutter speed / aperture ring without pressing in on the tab - this moves both the shutter speed and the aperture together, so faster shutter speeds results in smaller aperture number, and vice-versa. No matter what combination you pick, you have the right exposure.

I use my Gossen Digisix with these cameras because it reads out directly in EV. I then plug in the EV number and I'm set.

Sounds complicated, but takes maybe five seconds.

And it is a sweet little camera. Great lens.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-01-2006   #9
ricpr
Rich

Well...El Guapo, you are thorough and helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-20-2010   #10
lorenzo1910

Ehm...there are few models of Zeiss Ikon Contina...just bought one with Novar Anastigmat 45mm f/3.5 ...no lightmeter and no rangefinder (mine is zone-focus)...
Just throw in a T-Max 100...I will update about the performance in the next days...

Old 10-20-2010   #11
Dwayneb9584

Wow you seriously found this stuff in the garbage? That's awesome.

Old 10-20-2010   #12
Richard G

Rugged, handsome camera. I ran a roll of Ektar 100 through mine recently, first roll in 33 years. One or two OK shots but my scale focussing needs work. The lens barrel has a red dot for the hyperfocal distance at f8. My slow shutter speeds hold up a bit from tired lubricant. Here's a link to repair or service which I might consider. This camera was given to my mother as a wedding present in 1958 and it took all the B&W and Kodachromes of us children in the '60s.
http://photographic.co.nz/camerawork...Ia/Default.htm

Old 10-20-2010   #13
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo1910 View Post
Ehm...
Ahem... Two-thousand and six, A.D.

For a second I thought Bill Mattocks came back from the dead!

Old 10-20-2010   #14
lorenzo1910

LOL...
I'm a Deep Digger....

Maybe anybody still cares to know how the Contina works...
BTW the camera is much older than the thread...should we stop talking about it for a matter of time?

Old 10-24-2010   #15
Brian Levy

lorenzo1910, is your a folder with a model #524/24? Oh, it does not have the rangefinder so I think it is the 522/24. I have the same camera with the rangefinder (524/24), getting it in the late '60s, early '70s and used it as a daily shooter when I was young, stupid as to photogrpahy and had neither a rangefinder or light meter. It taught me much of the basics of photography that has stayed with me for decades. I finally replaced it with I think my 1st Exacta VX as a daily shooter. However, I still used it steadily until about 5 years ago though I've had a number of systems. The layout, controls and lens is just so good when I pick it up. The shutter finally froze with the typical congealed oil on the blades and why it was retired.

A few days ago I was going through some things and came across it so I have it sitting here on the table and it will be going in for a complete service along with a Vito B and Rolleiflex T. The non-coupled rangefinder is still very bright and seems dead when comparing it to another rangefinder I have. The Contina on return will again become a main carrier as it is a great pocket camera.

Old 02-13-2011   #16
nomade
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
If you have trouble finding the manual, let me know. I have one I can send you.
I'd appreciate it if you still have the manual...
Digital: Sony H2
SLR: Minolta XG-M

Lens Collection: Jupiter 9&12, MD.W Rokkor 35 mm f2.8, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4, makinon 24mm f2.8, Soligor zoom 70/150 mm f3.5

My gallery
My blog

Old 03-05-2011   #17
nomade
Hobbyist

I took it for a test drive with a kodak 200 film (i am not a fan of iso 200, but it was the one option i had at that time)
Check out some...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5c.jpg (31.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6c.jpg (48.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 13c.jpg (38.6 KB, 12 views)
Digital: Sony H2
SLR: Minolta XG-M

Lens Collection: Jupiter 9&12, MD.W Rokkor 35 mm f2.8, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4, makinon 24mm f2.8, Soligor zoom 70/150 mm f3.5

My gallery
My blog