Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

Old 02-20-2006   #26
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g
I may be mistaken, but I seem to find that these old cameras need less servicing than their M brethren. How many of you "barnack freaks" have found a need to have your camera serviced?
I have had both the IIIc and IIIf overhauled and the RF mirror in both replaced. I don't think they had anything done to them by previous owners. Not sure though, but if it is that is not a bad record for mid 1950's cameras.

Nikon Bob

Old 02-20-2006   #27
back alley
just joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorM.
Here's my other ltm camera. A Barnack Canon IIf, synched for bulbs, with a 50/3.5 Serenar.

that's so much prettier than the leica barnacks...

heart soul & a camera

Old 02-20-2006   #28
je2a3
je

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but I seem to find that these old cameras need less servicing than their M brethren. How many of you "barnack freaks" have found a need to have your camera serviced?
Nice IIIf, ray! I don't think my BD IIIf was CLA'd 8 years ago when I acquired it but it still works great. My Leica IIs were acquired "as-is" so I did my own CLA. I also have a IIIa that works fine except the 1/8 speed is intermittent must be a pallet in the slow speed escapement that I need to learn how to fix. OTOH, my M6 from the early 90s has been to Sherry twice, once for light leaks and then something went funky with the framelines after a trip to the tropics. The Barnacks are just simpler designs so there's less that can go wrong as long as they are cared for.

Joseph

Old 02-20-2006   #29
doubs43

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
Joe, that's the same as saying a copy of the Mona Lisa is prettier than the original.

Didn't I read only the other day that you've just bought a Barnack Leica? Hummm?

Walker

Old 02-20-2006   #30
back alley
just joe

it's an m3 that i traded for.
i did have a canon lll and a canon ivsb for a while though.

and i do think the canon is prettier but that's very subjective eh?

joe

heart soul & a camera

Old 02-20-2006   #31
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

My 1935 Leica.3 w/ Industar.50

Former owner, RFFdude JimG, sent me this pic of his dad using this camera with a 90 degree finder selfy taken in 1955. Pretty cool.

Old 02-20-2006   #32
OldNick

Quote:
Ray- I've had my Summitar serviced because the aperture ring got stiff, but my IIIa and 5cm/3.5 Elmar have not been in a shop since I purchased them in 1952. To be truthful, the shop owner said the curtains were new when I bought the camera. The IIIf is newer to me, but I've never had it serviced.

I can't say as much for a couple of Leica lenses that I've tried and sold. A 73mm/1.9 Hektor was a disappointment, and I knew of no one doing CLAs at the time, so I traded it. A 50mm/1.5 Summarit was worn out when I got it, and I got tired of trying to deal with it. Otherwise, Leica gear has held up quite well.

Old 02-20-2006   #33
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Quote:
Hm, can we ban our moderator from this forum?

Didn't you by the way get rid of your IVSB?

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 02-20-2006   #34
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Gotta sneak in here and support joe. To me, the finest Barnacks ever came from Canon... The single VF/RF is just much more esthetically pleasing to me as well as the far easier to use take up spool. The original was a truely great moment. But some, like Canon, took it as a baseline and ran like a bat out of you know where to turn thiers into somthing even greater.

But, yes, he's right that it's very subjective. To me, the nicest Barnack ever made was the Canon IVSb. But, then, I actually owned one of those...

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 02-20-2006   #35
doubs43

Quote:
it's an m3 that i traded for.
i did have a canon lll and a canon ivsb for a while though.
and i do think the canon is prettier but that's very subjective eh?
joe
Just yankin' your chain a little Joe.

To tell the truth I owned a Canon RF some 30 odd years ago when I was in Korea but it had a problem and I traded or sold it. I probably should have kept it for repair when I came back to the States but it didn't seem important at the time. I don't recall the model now but it was an early one.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder which makes the world go around. Where would we be if everyone thought the Kodak Instamatic was the prettiest camera in the world?

Walker

Old 02-21-2006   #36
rover

Off to check PN for any over-night FS ads.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-21-2006   #37
VictorM.

"that's so much prettier than the leica barnacks..."

To avoid further controversy, I have now inserted a smilie into the original post. And to be perfectly clear, I think they're both good lookin' pieces of machinery.

Old 02-21-2006   #38
back alley
just joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Silfver
Hm, can we ban our moderator from this forum?

Didn't you by the way get rid of your IVSB?

gee, i hope not!!

and yes, i did sell the ivsb. i started to feel the collector's urge and having both the lll & ivsb i feared a whole new direction in spending...so i got rid of them both.

same happened with my short lived relationship with a kiev. i really liked that camera and was afraid i would start to collect bodies and lenses and eventually start in on contaxes.
i could not afford the temptation, literally.

at least with screwmount and m i can add an adapter and still have full use without buying more lenses etc.

heart soul & a camera

Old 02-21-2006   #39
lushd
Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43
Just yankin' your chain a little Joe.

To tell the truth I owned a Canon RF some 30 odd years ago when I was in Korea but it had a problem and I traded or sold it. I probably should have kept it for repair when I came back to the States but it didn't seem important at the time. I don't recall the model now but it was an early one.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder which makes the world go around. Where would we be if everyone thought the Kodak Instamatic was the prettiest camera in the world?

Walker
It'd be great! People would pay $500 for a basic plastic camera and Leicas would go for $5 with only 2 or 3 bids on Ebay. Somebody in Russia would start selling Smena 8s or Cosmic Symbols with Nazi markings for silly money claiming they were copies of original Kodaks.

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-21-2006   #40
je2a3
je

Quote:
I've heard about - and seen ads for - the red scale Elmar.
Are there any optical differences in the red scale Elmar vs non-RS Elmars?
Supposedly the red scale had lanthane in the glass elements [derived from Summicron 50 R&D] which gave it a flatter field especially at wider apertures. There were some black scale Elmars predating the red scale that had lanthane glass, look out for the f22 minimum aperture.

Joseph

Last edited by je2a3 : 02-21-2006 at 13:14.

Old 02-21-2006   #41
laptoprob
back to basics

They are called Okaro /14058 Orange Rengefinder Filter, for Leica models IIc, IIf, IIIb, IIIc, and IIIf. This small slip- on orange filter was used to improve the contrast between the two rangefinder images. They were particularly recommended for artificial light.

I tried it out with a piece of slide film I mistook for BW film. Orange filter produced a very orange cast. I will keep it on the Bessa T I think, but not on the IIf. It makes the finder a little darker ofcourse, and while enhancing contrast I find myself searching more for bits to focus on.
My rangefinder spot is a little yellower anyway, so I have a little more contrast.

cheers, Rob.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

IR and concert pics

Old 02-21-2006   #42
AGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVBLZ4
Naaa. Count it as the green background playing tricks on old eyes, Art. Nice photo of a really nice camera and that lens is a beauty. I'm new to Barnack waters, so tell me about the red lens on the VF. I've seen it before, though rarely, and always wondered... what's it called? what's it for? etc.
Thanks again. It appears that your question has been answered quite well, I can only add that, in the case of a IIIa, the orange filter is called an ORAKO. It is approximately 10mm in diameter. The OKARO is slightly larger and will not fit the III/IIIa.

Best, Art

Old 02-21-2006   #43
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Ah, yes. Thanks Rob and Art. I remember reading the "OKARO / ORAKO" discussion in the last couple of days here. May have to add the ORAKO to my "List."

Old 02-21-2006   #44
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

I swear something is not wired correctly in my mind. I seem completely unable to remember which bodies the ORAKO vs OKARO fits.

Old 02-21-2006   #45
richiedcruz

Quote:
Richie, nice setup - how do you find using the RASUK/RASUL sportsfinder? Pain in the ass? Fun/Easy?
It was annoying at first, because of the little peephole that you are supposed to look through; but, after playing with it for a while, I found that just looking through the center of the framelines and leaving the peephole part of the finder down is good enough most of the time. I do not even have to bother to put my face close to the camera. No more scratched glasses-ever

Richie

Old 02-21-2006   #46
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

This is some thread... and, like Ralph, I wanna know how is that all threads Rich starts are so successful?

Heck, I'm glad they stay!

Now, gentlemen, before I fall for these, I must know what is the trick with these cameras: when do you change the shutterspeed? Is it BEFORE or AFTER advancing the film?

Please, remind me...

And thanks, Rich, for the great idea of a Barnack-Leica show-off thread!

In case you care... it was your M3 camera with hood photo that inspired me to get one and use it. Right now, it goes in my pocket every day!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 02-21-2006   #47
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave
In case you care... it was your M3 camera with hood photo that inspired me to get one and use it. Right now, it goes in my pocket every day!
Damn, knew I should had marketed that photo

Old 02-22-2006   #48
rover

Francisco, old rule of thumb, change the shutter speed after winding the camera. I don't know if it matters with the Barnack Leicas, and I don't think you have to with the later Canon knob winders, but better safe than sorry.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-22-2006   #49
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Thanks a lot for your pearls of wisdom , oh, Master of the 6000 posts!

Don't rest yet... I'm after you, with 3000!

(I had no idea about this rule being an old one... I think it makes sense and practice will help me remember it... just in case!)
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 02-22-2006   #50
AGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover
Francisco, old rule of thumb, change the shutter speed after winding the camera. I don't know if it matters with the Barnack Leicas, and I don't think you have to with the later Canon knob winders, but better safe than sorry.
The shutter speed dial on the III/IIIa Barnack will not read correctly unless it is wound before setting.

Art