Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Closed Thread

U.S. Embassy Gives Warning
Old 02-01-2006   #1
Bryan Lee
Expat Street Photographer

U.S. Embassy Gives Warning

Foreigners warned about tomorrows Anti-Thaksin demonstration

Public Announcement from U.S. Embassy Bangkok

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:34:52 +0700

Attention American Citizens:

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) authorities have confirmed that a
large demonstration is expected to occur in the area of the King Rama 5
statue, Rajdamneon Avenue, near Sanam Luang and Government House in
Bangkok on Saturday, February 4. Police estimate up to 100,000 people
will gather in an anti-Thai Prime Minister Thaksin demonstration headed
by Sonthi Limthongkul, a prominent Thai government critic. The crowd
will include several diverse groups of demonstrators and is expected to
start assembling in the morning with no announced starting or ending
times. Organizers have not indicated a marching route, should they
leave the area.

Bangkok demonstrations are usually peaceful in nature, but all
demonstrations are unpredictable and conditions can change unexpectedly.
The RTP has indicated that 2,000 - 3,000 police officers will be on hand
to maintain public order. There are concerns that anti-Sonthi groups
may attempt to confront the demonstrators, which could lead to violence.
For this reason, please do not approach the demonstrators.

The Embassy encourages all Americans to avoid this area. Should you
find yourself in or near the demonstrators, move indoors for shelter
until the demonstration has passed, or ask for police assistance to
leave the area. While the demonstration is not expected to pass near
U.S. Embassy facilities, Embassy entrances and functions may be
restricted depending on circumstances.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling
abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular
Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current
Worldwide Caution, Public Announcements, and Travel Warnings can be
found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by
calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside
the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328. These
numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday
through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

--US Embassy, Bangkok, 2006-02-02

Just for the couple jack asses that thought I didnt know what I was talking about!

Old 02-01-2006   #2
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lee
Just for the couple jack asses that thought I didnt know what I was talking about!
I don't get it.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 02-01-2006   #3
Frank Granovski

I should be going to Iran soon. I have Air Canada, Air Miles and Petro-Points coming out of my ears; and I keep getting more.

Old 02-01-2006   #4
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

Let's see where's that "walk away" button? Don't make direct eye contact.

I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

Old 02-01-2006   #5
Film dino
David Chong

Quote:
Bryan
Your original posting about Thailand was timely & well-intentioned. IMHO you shouldn't take it to heart if folks dont really grasp ther significance of what you were sharing. SE Asian politics are unique & one has to have lived in the region for a while to appreciate that demonstrations here can be quite different from those in the west. It would be an understatement to say that SE Asian governments can be reactionary; the opposition can be violent.

Keep safe

David

Old 02-02-2006   #6
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Film dino
SE Asian politics are unique & one has to have lived in the region for a while to appreciate that demonstrations here can be quite different from those in the west. It would be an understatement to say that SE Asian governments can be reactionary; the opposition can be violent.
Same goes for every demonstration in any country. I live in peaceful Holland (not counting the recent murders of a politician and a cineast, burning of mosques, chirches and schools, terrorist action and death threats on politicians) and we've had our share of very violent demonstrations and police action.

Though in principle I appreciate your warnings, I find them out of place here on RFF. IMO they have little or no value here. But that's just me, I guess.

Old 02-02-2006   #7
berci
Photographer Level: Dude

Quote:

Where is the guy with the new Ikon?

Or is there anyone enough jackass to counterjackass this jackass?

#;-]

Old 02-02-2006   #8
Doug

See how name-calling serves the interests of peace and friendship in the forum?

Old 02-02-2006   #9
Film dino
David Chong

Goes without saying that name-calling is unacceptable; Bryan's original post was meant to warn travellers- including RFF-ers- to Thailand
D

Old 02-02-2006   #10
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

What a great photographic opportunity.

My Flickr

Old 02-02-2006   #11
bobofish
Two-fisted Atom Smasher

That's what I thought too.

I wonder how many young photographers made their careers shooting the riots in France a couple months ago.

And as for the jackass comments, "he who brays loudest..."

Old 02-02-2006   #12
Frank Granovski

Yeah.
Quote:
Just for the couple jack asses that thought I didn't know what I was talking about!
Well, if it's any consolation, I believed you the first time. (We do have news here in Canada.) However, stuff like this doesn't stop some people to go where the going gets rough, especially for visiting family or going for Phuket.

Old 02-02-2006   #13
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

Pompousness.

Old 02-02-2006   #14
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

Impudent pompousness. Who does not believe him is automatically a jackass. Not surprised tho.
I guess why this is tolerated here.

Old 02-02-2006   #15
Bryan Lee

I realize not everyone is interested in this so if not dont be bothered.
My original warning was simple, Many photographers come to Thailand as it might be the #1 photographic tourist destination on earth. What I wrote before was my attempt to be helpful and protect members who may be traveling with children and spouses. Jack Asses like Bertram2, CapokeHam and Bill have been let loose on this sight like small children who never had a good belt wore out on em, mocking and causing trouble and just trying to piss people off in general. If you wernt behaving like a Jack Ass the thread was in no way directed at you. If its deleted so be it, I stopped posting here last week to take a break and see if I wanted to keep hanging out here or not so let the chips fall where they may. I feel vindicated never the less and if im not needed around I will simply make a queit exit and let my pictures do the talking.

Old 02-02-2006   #16
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
My original warning was simple, Many photographers come to Thailand as it might be the #1 photographic tourist destination on earth.
Thailand is a nice place to go and shoot but I know at least a dozen places at least as interesting.

Quote:
What I wrote before was my attempt to be helpful and protect members who may be traveling with children and spouses.
Noble thing to do, Bryan, but you could use a different tone of voice.

Quote:
I feel vindicated never the less and if im not needed around I will simply make a queit exit and let my pictures do the talking.
No need for name-calling, Bryan. You're just putting oil on the fire. Let your photos speak for themselves. You'll feel better that way.

Old 02-02-2006   #17
Bryan Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
Thailand is a nice place to go and shoot but I know at least a dozen places at least as interesting.

Noble thing to do, Bryan, but you could use a different tone of voice.

No need for name-calling, Bryan. You're just putting oil on the fire. Let your photos speak for themselves. You'll feel better that way.

The Embassy has spoken up so Ill let them take it over from here as far as warnings go.

As far as the Jack Asses go thats another story, I dont mind calling a ***** a ***** and ill stand by my words. If I wasnt trying to use restraint here I could add about a thousand choice curse words to go along with what I think about them and their previous comments which most have been edited or deleted or had the thread closed or just removed so those who dont know why Im pissed off probley wont ever know, So dont be bothered and come to your own conclusions when Jack Asses hijack your threads with BS and insults.

Let me go one step further and say if anyone of the three of them was on fire I wouldnt be bothered to piss on them to put it out...

Thats about all I got to say about that!

Old 02-02-2006   #18
Frank Granovski

Bryan, no one insulted you here. Calm down.
Quote:
...Im pissed off probley wont ever know, So dont be bothered and come to your own conclusions when Jack Asses hijack your threads with BS and insults.

Let me go one step further and say if anyone of the three of them was on fire I wouldnt be bothered to piss on them to put it out...

Old 02-02-2006   #19
RML
Just live it.

I'm a bit bored by your curses, Bryan. No matter how ticked off you are, you can still remain civil. There are other people on this forum and if you don't care about them and show some civility, I don't see why others should show civility towards you. I'm sorry to say but consider you on my ignore list until you can clean up your language. I don't care for rudeness and I don't need to be aggrevated by having to read it here.

Old 02-02-2006   #20
Bryan Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
I'm a bit bored by your curses, Bryan. No matter how ticked off you are, you can still remain civil. There are other people on this forum and if you don't care about them and show some civility, I don't see why others should show civility towards you. I'm sorry to say but consider you on my ignore list until you can clean up your language. I don't care for rudeness and I don't need to be aggrevated by having to read it here.

This is my version of civil, The thread never concerned you in the first place. Thats one of the problems is some people feel they must comment about subjects that dont have anything to do with them. Were you planning a trip top Thailand this week? Do you have a history of going out of your way to piss people off? If not dont feel you have to comment. If so by all means go ahead.

I have friends who were already murdered here and this is a predictable bloodbath if it goes off and Im not the only one that sees it that way. Im extremely concerned and have considerable anziety about the next week and what will transpire. I hope and pray nothing will happen but all my information tells me otherwise.

Old 02-02-2006   #21
Frank Granovski

Well, people are dying in Iraq as well, and in numerous other countries. Thanks for warning us. I'll keep tuned to the news.

Old 02-02-2006   #22
Bryan Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
Well, people are dying in Iraq as well, and in numerous other countries. Thanks for warning us. I'll keep tuned to the news.

Thanx Frank, The forum could use more guys like you. While it is true that people are dieng in Iraq and South Africa has many murders everyday most of the people on the forum would never dream of taking their children there on holiday unlike Thailand which spends millions of dollars on tourist advertisements. We have one forum member on a plane and I believe arriving at midnight tonight in Thailand and many others in Singapore who frequently come and go. As I had no Idea who was here or on the way instead of possibly missing someone I made my original post in a area where all members could view it if they chose. That post is long gone with others either moved or deleted because the threads became obnoxious with dumb statements like how "Thailand is a democracy that kind of thing wont happen" and " if I was there I would be there with a camera not going the other way" kind of crap. None of that has anything to do with a guy taking a taxi to the park with his kids to run head on into 100,000 people running down the street. If you new the LA riots were going to take place would you tell your friends so they could make a educated decision on whether to go there or not? Thats all I did here.

If your interested on what other people here are saying here is a link to another forum for expat news in Thailand,
THAILAND NEWS FORUM

Old 02-02-2006   #23
XAos

And what's with everything you type being in colored lettering. Please stop that. It messes with a lot of folk's color schemes, it's harder to read, and it marks you as someone who needs to call extra attention to himself.

Old 02-02-2006   #24
nwcanonman

Bryan,
The origianl post was a heart felt warning. But I find the continued name calling very un-RFF-like. This is a gentle-person's photo forum, not a vent blog. JMHO.

Old 02-02-2006   #25
Bryan Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanonman
Bryan,
The origianl post was a heart felt warning. But I find the continued name calling very un-RFF-like. This is a gentle-person's photo forum, not a vent blog. JMHO.

Im sure Im not the only one who thinks Bill M. is a jackass that hijacks threads and that Bertram 2 and Capokeham are just in general JACKASSES, I dont realy think of it as name calling. If I was going to do that it would sound alot diffrent than"hey you three guys are jackasses". I feel better anyway and Ive seen worse things said on the forum.

Closed Thread