Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

help finding a 28mm fixed lens RF
Old 09-27-2004   #1
momosgarage

help finding a 28mm fixed lens RF

Hello everybody,
I am looking for a fixed lens 28mm compact RF. I know there are lots out there with 40mm 45mm and 55mm. I currently own a minolta 7sII and a canon gl17 and I am pleased with both. Are there any compact rf similar to these in size with a 28mm lens and at least f2.8? I know some features may not be available, but I am looking for manual mode (unmetered OK if metered in AP or SP modes). OR Aperture priority or shutter priority or neither (but metered for manual). Up to at least ASA800 and F2.8. I have looked and found a few through my own research, but they are rare and a little pricey. I usually buy on ebay and just pay for the repair so condition is not really an issue. I would like to keep it under $100 without going Russian. Does anybody have any suggestions? I know about the olympus XA line and the Stylus and I am cosidering those, but are there any others? Thanks

Old 09-27-2004   #2
hughjb

I believe there is a Nikon TI 28 that will do that, it will be more that a 100 however.

Old 09-27-2004   #3
momosgarage

I have seen the Nikon 28 TI at camera shows. I do like it, however it is out of my budget as are most of the excellent auto focus Ricoh cameras.

Old 09-27-2004   #4
momosgarage

I thought that was a possiblity. I like the tc-1 also, but its over budget also. I just wanted to know if there was anything I missed, something for the 50's or 60's. Oh well, what about somthing in a fixed 35mm lens? thanks again

Old 09-27-2004   #5
rovnguy

I don't think you're going to find a fixed lens RF with a 28mm lens. There are however some cameras that fit fit your requirements. The Olympus XA-4 has a 28mm lens, but no RF. It has a ratcheting scale focus that really gets down there... to about 12 inches. These cameras are hard to find, and those of us who have them are not going to part with them. The original XA has a 35mm lens, but in comparison shots with my OM-1 and a Zuiko 35mm lens, the XA covers a bit more area. This may be your best bet. The rangefinder takes some getting used to, but once you know what you're doing, the results are magnificent. It really is an under-rated camera. You can'y go wrong for a hundred bucks. If you try and still don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

Old 09-27-2004   #6
Brian Sweeney

If you are not adverse to an AF camera, the original Nikon Lite Touch has a 28mm F3.5 lens. They are small, compact, light, and you will find them ~$40 or less used. It is a 3-element design, but is quite sharp. I think it has an aspheric element in it. The finder is a real peep-site and requires lining up your eye to it.

Old 09-28-2004   #7
momosgarage

AF is OK, I a had already prepared myself for that possibilty. Also, since I now know there are limited options, Russian RF is also okay

Last edited by momosgarage : 09-28-2004 at 08:56.