Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras

Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras Sony does a lot of things well. Naming their cameras so the nomenclature makes sense is not one of them. The NEX series has now become the Alpha NEX series, not to be confused with their Alpha DSLRs. Huh ? IS the person who misnamed the Leica M10 the Leica M240 now working for Sony? The new full frame Alpha 7/7r are incredibly successful. I wonder how long it will take the other manufacturers to make their version of the 7/7r full frame cameras.

Using Leica M and Nikon G lenses on the Sony A7 (How will it work question)
Old 11-20-2013   #1
jljohn

Using Leica M and Nikon G lenses on the Sony A7 (How will it work question)

I'm considering a Sony A7, and I am wondering two things. First, if I use Leica M lenses, how will it work? I will need a Leica M--Sony E adapter, and then I can use it as if it were in an aperture priority mode (i set the aperture on the lens, and the A7 meters and handles the shutter speed)? Or will it be completely manual?

Also, as I have a number of Nikon f/1.4 G lenses, I am curious if there is any way to use them on the A7. I am under the impression that I would not be able to set the aperture at anything other than the smallest aperture (i.e. f/16). Is this correct?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 11-20-2013   #2
goffer

It meters through the lens, so in A mode it will select the shutter speed for you. If in S mode, you will have to set both the aperture and shutter speed.

As for the nikon, with the cheaper adapters the "G" series lenses cannot adjust aperture. The more expensive adapters, like metabones, has the ability to open and close the aperture.

Old 11-20-2013   #3
jljohn

Thanks? One additional question:

Is there any disadvantage with the Voigtlander Leica M to Sony E adapter versus the Novoflex?

Old 11-20-2013   #4
YYV_146

For Nikkor G lenses the current state of support is pretty dismal. I'm not sure but I've heard theories about Nikon's AF system being harder to map to the NEX pins and control interface than Canon. If you have L lenses you can expect moderately fast contrast detection AF and in-body aperture controls.

As for m lenses, I tend to shoot them in S with auto ISO. I select an iso and shutter speed combination and then just focus and shoot.

Amateur reporter, fashion shooter, estranged adapterholic
"If it can be focused, it can be manual focused!"

500px
LFI gallery

Old 11-20-2013   #5
YYV_146

For Nikkor G lenses the current state of support is pretty dismal. I'm not sure but I've heard theories about Nikon's AF system being harder to map to the NEX pins and control interface than Canon. If you have L lenses you can expect moderately fast contrast detection AF and in-body aperture controls.

As for m lenses, I tend to shoot them in S with auto ISO. I select an iso and shutter speed combination and then just focus and shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post

Is there any disadvantage with the Voigtlander Leica M to Sony E adapter versus the Novoflex?
There is no quality difference as far as I can tell. The Novoflex is made in Germany and the CV is made in Japan, that's all

Amateur reporter, fashion shooter, estranged adapterholic
"If it can be focused, it can be manual focused!"

500px
LFI gallery

Old 11-20-2013   #6
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by goffer View Post
As for the nikon, with the cheaper adapters the "G" series lenses cannot adjust aperture. The more expensive adapters, like metabones, has the ability to open and close the aperture.
All "G" adapters can control the aperture. But due to the way Nikon controls apertures, all of them, whether cheap or expensive, have to make do without an aperture number indexed aperture ring. The better ones have EV numbers printed on the aperture ring.

Old 11-20-2013   #7
goffer

Quote:

Only advantage really is if you go with sometihng like the Hawk's adapter which has a built in helicoid so you can close focus with your m-mount lenses. I also think Voigtlander is coming out with something similar:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10...r-sony-cameras

Other than that, besides build quality, there isn't a noticeable difference between the adapters, at least ones that I have tried.

Old 11-20-2013   #8
cosmonaut

Quote:
I'm considering a Sony A7, and I am wondering two things. First, if I use Leica M lenses, how will it work? I will need a Leica M--Sony E adapter, and then I can use it as if it were in an aperture priority mode (i set the aperture on the lens, and the A7 meters and handles the shutter speed)? Or will it be completely manual?

Also, as I have a number of Nikon f/1.4 G lenses, I am curious if there is any way to use them on the A7. I am under the impression that I would not be able to set the aperture at anything other than the smallest aperture (i.e. f/16). Is this correct?

Thanks!

Jeremy
I think you can with Metabones adapter. Check youtube. I know I watched the guy from the Camera Store use a Canon lens.
I believe Sony is going to release some sort of app that will correct for Legacy lenses a correction for wide lenses.

Old 11-20-2013   #9
Shac

There's a pile of info on http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ plus more on the Sony Digital section of GetDPi Workshops http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Old 11-21-2013   #10
jljohn

Thanks for the replies so far. I have one further question--I was reading up on the Zeiss OTUS, and I see that the OTUS for Nikon has an aperture ring, whereas the OTUS for Canon does not. Yet, several reviewers, Steve Huff included, had tested the Canon OTUS on the A7/A7R via a basic adapter. How does that work? If the Canon Otus doesn't have an aperture ring, how is the aperture adjustment being made?

Here is a photo of the setup: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-con...13/10/otus.jpg

Old 11-21-2013   #11
jpfisher

The Metabones adapter that Steve was using to mount the Otus on the A7/A7R supports aperture control via the camera, the same way you would control a standard E-mount lens.

Old 11-21-2013   #12
jljohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfisher View Post
The Metabones adapter that Steve was using to mount the Otus on the A7/A7R supports aperture control via the camera, the same way you would control a standard E-mount lens.
Thanks. It's a shame they don't seem to make a similar adapter for Nikon G. Everything I'm seeing uses a non-f-stop-specified dial on the adapter itself. It's amazing how complicated this is all getting with the number of manufacturers, systems, sensor sizes, adapters, and mechanical v. electronic controls there are out there! Now, if I could only make a Zeiss M lens work on a D3S!