Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Yashica RF

Yashica RF For all Yashica Rangefinder cameras, whether fixed lens or classic Leica Screw Mount !

How do you carry your GS/GSN?
Old 11-24-2005   #1
skinnylatte
chaiwallah

How do you carry your GS/GSN?

Alright, I'll 'fess up I'm a digital native who, not too long ago, had trouble loading film into the camera I picked up when I began being interested in photography, a film SLR (which makes me another outcaste around these parts)..

I recently fell hard and headlong for rangefinders, no thanks to hours of lurking around here. The only thing I could afford was a GS, but I have no complaint with that.

After the GS got its CLA, and I was able to take it out a few times, I've been facing the puzzle of what the best way to carry it with me is. The GS comes with the original strap attached to it, but it is old and thin and not the most comfortable thing.

Every other case/bag these days are designed to fit the smallest digicams manufacturers can possibly make. The GS has considerable heft part of its charm for me but I can't find a way to carry it inconspicuously. I do "street" photography mostly so I need to be able to whip it out with minimal fuss.

As a college student, my typical setup is either a medium-sized messenger bag, or a backpack, laptop-sized. On other days just a small Crumpler which takes my DSLR and one or two lenses. I'm struggling to fit the GS into any of these, as it is, which is starting to pose a problem since I've taken to the GS very, very well. Sure I could dump it into the backpack.. but it doesn't have a protective case. (Or am I just being paranoid , since cameras of 'my era' last less than a couple of years?)

So... what do you guys use when you take your GS/GSNs out? And what options are there, really? The old Yashica case it came with is crumbling and next to useless. After wondering about it for a few days, it struck me as a good idea to talk to other GSN owners. And I thought this might be the best place to do just that.

Last edited by skinnylatte : 11-24-2005 at 11:53.

Old 11-24-2005   #2
Frank Granovski

I use a small/medium sized camera bag to carry the GSN, Vivitar 285HV flash, some filters and film. "Oh, yes, there will be blood."

Old 11-24-2005   #3
Kin Lau

I simply carry mine. It fits in my knapsack/backpack, but with any of my full sized RF's like the GS or Konica S2 or Minolta 7s, I just carry it.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 11-24-2005   #4
skinnylatte
chaiwallah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
I use a small/medium sized camera bag to carry the GSN, Vivitar 285HV flash, some filters and film. "Oh, yes, there will be blood."
Thanks for the prompt reply.. I was thinking about just that, and have been doing so: lugging about the backpack to 'school', with the small-medium camera bag containing whatever photogear I've got for the day. My college is located in the city near several 'ethnic' spots which are also tourist attractions.. I've had students from my college mistake me for a Japanese tourist because of that getup (I'm an average sized Asian female; a 55L backpack already looks like it could kill me). I do a lot of travelling on the road in Asia involving overland travelling of up to 20 hours at a stretch. "Minimal but comprehensive" is what I aspire towards.. but one can hope.

There's always the Crumpler-style backpack-plus-photo-bag stuff that makes one look like a tortoise. I think I've resigned myself to the idea that one cannot have a decent and well-thoughtout camera or laptop bag without having physical appearance significantly altered.

Last edited by skinnylatte : 11-24-2005 at 12:02.

Old 11-24-2005   #5
Frank Granovski

My carrying case is a cheap, used, black plastic thingy with an orange stripe around it. I believe my wife paid no more than 2 Dollars for it. It does the trick.

Old 11-24-2005   #6
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

small backpack, or on my shoulder over my neck.

Old 11-24-2005   #7
atelier7

I stick mine in a lunchbox cooler bag, the kind you find in the supermart for $5. it provides some padding... you can toss the whole thing in your backpack if need be. very inconspicuous...

Old 11-24-2005   #8
eli griggs

[quote] "Minimal but comprehensive" is what I aspire towards.. but one can hope.

Try a small/medium OD green surplus 'Alice' pack w/o frame and hang ammo pouches, etc as needed. Homemade ditty bags from rip-stop nylon for miscellanea and a padded mans shaving kit for the camera/disguise and short walks.

Cheap, tough and ready to go at a moments notice, what more do you need?

Cheers

Last edited by eli griggs : 11-24-2005 at 15:19.

Old 11-24-2005   #9
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

army medic bag self lined with foam..fits my rollei and GSN plus film...and it's oh so hip. I just need some thick rimmed glasses to go with it

Old 11-24-2005   #10
skinnylatte
chaiwallah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli griggs
Try a small/medium OD green surplus 'Alice' pack w/o frame and hang ammo pouches, etc as needed. Homemade ditty bags from rip-stop nylon for miscellanea and a padded mans shaving kit for the camera/disguise and short walks. Cheap, tough and ready to go at a moments notice, what more do you need?
Sounds lovely.. but what are these?

Old 11-24-2005   #11
ErnestoJL

Im usually using a medium size shoulder military-like cotton fabric bag, where also goes my pipe, a tobacco pouch, lighter and some other personal items. Im usually carrying two cameras, protected / separated by a piece of thick plastic foam. The extra film, hand held meter and other accesories go (together with my cell phone) in a belt hanging small leather bag (it was a army surplus ammunition pouch). During winter the camera goes under my jacket hanging from my shoulder. This makes the camera remain unnoticed until you decide, also keeping it dry if its raining.

Ernesto

Old 11-24-2005   #12
derevaun
focus free

I just use the strap, slung over my neck and across my torso, under my jacket. If it rides just above my hip, it's loose enough to raise to my eye quickly with a little sliding. A thin strap slides easier. I keep filters etc in my pockets. I figure if something's going to hurt the GSN, it's going to hurt me worse, so why worry?

Old 11-24-2005   #13
atelier7

skinnylatte, i presume you're in singapore. ask some of your male friends to take you to beach road where they sell army surplus stuff. i'm sure you can find some sort of small bag to suit your needs.

Old 11-24-2005   #14
Frank Granovski

Quote:
Im usually using a medium size shoulder military-like cotton fabric bag, where also goes my pipe, a tobacco pouch, lighter and some other personal items.
Ahhh, another pipe smoker! We're a dying breed.

Old 11-24-2005   #15
skinnylatte
chaiwallah

Quote:
Originally Posted by atelier7
skinnylatte, i presume you're in singapore. ask some of your male friends to take you to beach road where they sell army surplus stuff. i'm sure you can find some sort of small bag to suit your needs.
ah yes, beach road. good suggstion. will do that promptly.

Old 11-24-2005   #16
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Quote:
I had to give mine up due to the relationship strife it was causing...i managed to barter my (faaaar less frequent) cigar habit in trade though.

Old 11-24-2005   #17
eli griggs

Skinny, an Alice pack is simply an army backpack that came in several sizes. I've used the medium and large to carry all types of gear in addition to cameras, such as sketch books, watercolors, small nurses, etc. The medium is easy to find and besides the main compartment has pockets sewn into the sides. You can also add ammo pouches to heavy duty attachment points. The top flap itself is a handy compartment, for maps, passport, paperbacks, etc. You can add a padded belt and the quick release shoulder straps are really handy. Here is a link to several types.
http://www.military-quotes.com/milit...-backpacks.htm

A shaving kit is usually a small zippered bag for keeping a shaving cream can, razors, mirror, toiletries etc. Often it will have a wrist strap for carrying and, IMO, a handy camera case, especially when carried inside a pack. Here is a link to a simple type, though you can find them in a traditional 'hard' leather, padded etc. Most people wont give them a second look on the street and finding one that you like for a RF shouldnt be difficult.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0007RXJ4K

You dont need all the space an Alice pack has for a RF or two, and even the medium may be a bit large for you, but if youre like me, then you will appreciate a dependable nothing special piece of gear that can carry lots of stuff youve absolutely have to have on hand every time you walk out the door.

Cheers,
Eli

Old 11-26-2005   #18
ErnestoJL

Quote:
Frank and Chris:

I found the perfect combination:
Film shooting
TX 400 / HP5 / BW400CN
Fine cameras
Pipe smoking
Good wine (red!)
Good music
A beautiful lady
My dog (Juancho a.k.a The Beast)

What else can I expect from life?

Ernesto

Old 11-26-2005   #19
Frank Granovski

Quote:
Frank and Chris:

I found the perfect combination:
Film shooting
TX 400 / HP5 / BW400CN
Fine cameras
Pipe smoking
Good wine (red!)
Good music
A beautiful lady
My dog (Juancho a.k.a The Beast)

What else can I expect from life?
My list is almost the same except that I have a cat instead of a dog, and I prefer Ilford HP5+ (400 ASA). What else can I expect from life? My BMW.

Old 11-26-2005   #20
skinnylatte
chaiwallah

Quote:
My list is almost the same except that I have a cat instead of a dog, and I prefer Ilford HP5+ (400 ASA). What else can I expect from life? My BMW.
Great lists. I'd have a similar list myself, except replacing the pipe with a sheesha, an Arab pipe which isn't quite portable.

Thanks Eli for the help! And everyone else.

This Yashicatisis is proving to be a persistent ailment.

Old 11-26-2005   #21
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

i'd add congnac and port to the list, as well as the bank account to support it

And the sheesha is nice too, for a relaxing evening, the traditional pipe is for the man on the go.

Old 11-26-2005   #22
Frank Granovski

Re: "sheesha." So that's what it's called. I have one too. The wife's family brought one over from Iran. A real nice one, I might add.

Old 11-30-2005   #23
flashover
John K

I will let you know how I carry my GSN as soon as I get it. Hum I could have bought a Leica and they I would carry it on my credit card

Yashica Professional (the camera not the guy behind it)

Canon QL17 GIII / Nikon F3 / Pair of Yashica-Ds

Camera Junkie Flickr Group

Old 11-30-2005   #24
Brian Sweeney

The fitted ever-ready cases from the older GS/GT are made of leather and usually hold up well. I have one of those for my GT. They should be available on EBay, or locally. Put out a WTB. Many RFF'rs do not like ever-ready cases, maybe one would part with theirs. I am holding onto mine, as it protects the nice black finish of the camera.

Old 12-02-2005   #25
dlofgreen

I use one of these http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm...pe=pack&ID=138 It has room and I went to the local camera shop and went through the miscilanious camera bag pads they had in a card board box to line it with. Works great with a single lense camera.