Cant get Tri-X 0ut of my system.
Old 02-15-2013   #1
John Bragg

Cant get Tri-X 0ut of my system.

I am trying very hard to shoot other film but the siren call of Tri-X keeps luring me back. There is just something about it that keeps my loyalty. I cant help feeling unfaithful when I use another emulsion, like I have betrayed a lover or an old friend.

Old 02-15-2013   #2
charjohncarter

Very nice, is it Cornwall? I can't get TriX out my system either. I will go to Ilford if that happens.

Don't tell me that is your Olympus.

Old 02-15-2013   #3
John Bragg

Hi John and thanks. Yes it is a dis-used copper mine on Bodmin moor. (Doc Martin territory). A place I just keep going back to. Just like Tri-X I guess ! It was taken with my Nikon FM2n and a Vivitar Komine 135mm f2.8.

Old 02-15-2013   #4
filmfan

Great shot!

Old 02-15-2013   #5
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Great shot!
Thankyou. It has a bit of mist but I liked the light on the day. Shafts of light breaking through the cloud.

Old 02-15-2013   #6
2WK
Rangefinder User

This weekends forecast.... Tri-x in Rodinal.

Old 02-15-2013   #8
zsas

Beautiful photograph!

I tried all the emulsions over the last few years and just like you find Tri-X perfect. It isn't the world's best selling b/w film for nothing! Just love it in HC-110 and Diafine when I need a push.

Old 02-15-2013   #9
Clint Troy
-

I think there's a lot of hype with Tri-X. What I mean by this is simple: There have been so many new versions of Tri-X, each of them having almost nothing to do with the old one that only hype has kept it where it is today. People listening to people that have listened to poeple having told them, back in the 80's, how Tri-X is good.

I really like Tri-X. But I really like HP5, Neopan, Foma... Just as much. Take out the Hype and I'm not sure Tri-X is as special as it's supposed to be (as it once really was!)

Old 02-15-2013   #10
filmfan

I have found that most BW films look just about the same at their respective speeds until they are enlarged in print form to a decent size (say 11x14 in 35mm I can start to see the differences).

Tri-X, like HP5+, will be my favorite film(s) because it's extremely difficult to get something that is not printable from it. In the same vein, these two films are pushable/pullable to extremes. Gotta love that flexibility!

Old 02-15-2013   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Cant get Tri-X 0ut of my system ...

You do realise that Kodak are currently working on doing that for you!

Old 02-15-2013   #12
benlees

I love Tri-x, or I thought I did. Sometimes I'll go back through some old shots thinking about their luscious tonality (lol) and they always seem to be on HP5+!!

Old 02-15-2013   #13
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Troy View Post
I think there's a lot of hype with Tri-X. What I mean by this is simple: There have been so many new versions of Tri-X, each of them having almost nothing to do with the old one that only hype has kept it where it is today. People listening to people that have listened to poeple having told them, back in the 80's, how Tri-X is good.

I really like Tri-X. But I really like HP5, Neopan, Foma... Just as much. Take out the Hype and I'm not sure Tri-X is as special as it's supposed to be (as it once really was!)
So many versions? I know of three: The original, which I think was something like ASA 200, then the jump to ASA 400, (although I can't give you the date for that) and then some sort of emulsion change in 2007 or 2009.

I've used Tri-X since about 1970 and it's always been damn good. Earned popularity is not hype, and Tri-X's popularity does not diminish the quality or visual nuances of any of the other fine emulsions you mention. It's not a zero sum gain.

Cheers,

s-a

Old 02-15-2013   #14
sparrow6224

John -- That has such beautiful tones. What did you develop it in?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 02-15-2013   #15
hausen

I have been trying to wean myself off Tri-X and really like FP4+ in my Rollei. Scan really nicely.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 02-15-2013   #16
zsas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Troy View Post

Fwiiw, I've been bulk rolling HP5+ for a while and the other day I shot a roll of HP5+ and reached for another roll of film and all I had in my bag was Tri-X, so I shot a roll a Tri-X in the same light/location. Well for me the Tri-X was more true to what I wanted.....no marketing gimmicks nor film-peer-pressure, just artistic decision. I respectfully disagree with your premise considering, for me, my decision was artistic/empirical.....

Old 02-15-2013   #17
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausen View Post
I have been trying to wean myself off Tri-X and really like FP4+ in my Rollei. Scan really nicely.
Me too. I've been shooting some FP4+ in my Leica-cum-Sonnar 1.5, and it looks great so far, but a bit under exposed. I remember shooting it in my Nikon F at 80 for best results ten years ago. May have to do that in the M3 as well.

My Flickr

Old 02-15-2013   #18
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
I am trying very hard to shoot other film but the siren call of Tri-X keeps luring me back. There is just something about it that keeps my loyalty. I cant help feeling unfaithful when I use another emulsion, like I have betrayed a lover or an old friend.
Beautiful picture. Reminds me a little of James Ravinious. Beautiful tones. I love Tri-X, too. I hope it stays around a bit longer.

My Flickr

Old 02-15-2013   #19
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow6224 View Post
John -- That has such beautiful tones. What did you develop it in?
Thanks Vince. it was rated at ei200 and developed in HC-110 dilution H for 12 mins with very little agitation. 5 inversions to start then 2 at 4 mins and 2 at 8 mins.

Old 02-15-2013   #20
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
Beautiful picture. Reminds me a little of James Ravinious. Beautiful tones. I love Tri-X, too. I hope it stays around a bit longer.
Thanks Vic. James Ravilious is a hero of mine. I am very pleased to be compared to him.

Old 02-15-2013   #21
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Cant get Tri-X 0ut of my system ...

You do realise that Kodak are currently working on doing that for you!
I know Keith ! That is why I have also been working with Delta 400 and Neopan but I hope that Tri-X will be around after the sell off. Hence my comment in the opening post. I am trying NOT to like it just in case it goes.

Old 02-16-2013   #22
gsgary

Fantastic place to live Cornwall, i used to like in St Ives mum and sister are still there so i get cheap holidays St Ives is great for street photography when its busy but it great to get on the moors and coast roads with all the old tin mines and megalith monuments

Old 02-16-2013   #23
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgary View Post
Fantastic place to live Cornwall, i used to like in St Ives mum and sister are still there so i get cheap holidays St Ives is great for street photography when its busy but it great to get on the moors and coast roads with all the old tin mines and megalith monuments
I do feel fortunate living in such a green and pleasant county. It is a great place for landscape.