Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" > Digital M Reported Problems - all Models

Old 01-10-2013   #26
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

The Summicron 40 (Please don't adopt that nasty cron and lux habit) is exactly as good as the Summicron 35 version iv, so there is no real reason to prefer the latter. Personally I think that it is one of the most if not the most suitable lens for an M8. The minor drawbacks that it has a weird filter thread, brings up 50mm frame lines and needs to be coded by a third party cane be overcome with very little problems; Heavystar sells a series 5.5-39mm adapter and hood, any technician can adapt the mount for 35 (perfectly suited framelines too) and coding is not really needed.

jaapvphotography

Old 01-10-2013   #27
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
The Summicron 40 (Please don't adopt that nasty cron and lux habit) is exactly as good as the Summicron 35 version iv, so there is no real reason to prefer the latter. Personally I think that it is one of the most if not the most suitable lens for an M8. The minor drawbacks that it has a weird filter thread, brings up 50mm frame lines and needs to be coded by a third party cane be overcome with very little problems; Heavystar sells a series 5.5-39mm adapter and hood, any technician can adapt the mount for 35 (perfectly suited framelines too) and coding is not really needed.
The Summicron-C 40mm len is excellent, but if you can find a Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2, generation II, it is an even better performer due to multicoating. AND it has the easy to find filters for JIS 40.5mm filter thread.

(The Summicron-C 40 was made by Leitz for the CL, the M-Rokkor 40 was the exact same design manufactured by Minolta for the Leitz/Minolta branded CL. The generation II model was the same lens, with multicoating, released for the Minolta CLE. I've had all three, and the M-Rokkor 40mm II is the best performer of the bunch: less flare.)

Old 01-10-2013   #28
KenBPhotos

Haha, I'll do my best to avoid the lux, cron abbreviations. I guess it's a Leica faux pa. You gotta admit it's quicker though!

This 40 summicron sounds like a great choice. I just have to find one that's the right price and not a huge hassle to get. I want to shoot this weekend! I seriously have no patience. It's really bad haha.

I decided to snap a few shots of my 'new to me' M8. I'm really shocked at how old this camera is and how clean it is. It must have just sat around most of its life considering the low shutter count. It's kind of sad really...

Leica M8 by KenBPhotos, on Flickr

Leica M8 by KenBPhotos, on Flickr

How about a Summaron f/2.8
Old 01-11-2013   #29
Tessar.

How about a Summaron f/2.8

Cheaper than the Summicron, small, 39mm filter thread and just as good as the Summicrons and Biogons.

Old 01-11-2013   #30
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBPhotos View Post
Haha, I'll do my best to avoid the lux, cron abbreviations. I guess it's a Leica faux pa. You gotta admit it's quicker though!
Nails on a blackboard....

jaapvphotography

Old 01-12-2013   #31
KenBPhotos

^ Haha I know what you mean. I get like that with certain phrases too. I hate when people say bokeh like bokeh of flowers. It's boke-ah not boke-eh.

I ending up going with the 50 Planar Zeiss. I'm a little concerned with it being too long on the M8, but I've always enjoyed shooting the 70-200 on my Canon and I used a 135 for street photography a lot so hopefully it works out on this system too. I'm actually going to sell my 135L to fund some more stuff for the Leica. I bought it for street photography on my 5D III cause I have a 70-200 2.8 IS II that was too heavy to carry around for that stuff so I'd use the 135L with it to get some reach and keep it light. It's redundant to have both, but I've sold that lens before and I regretted it a lot because the bokeh is insane on it (it's an f/2 lens as opposed to 2.8 on the 70-200 too). I think I'll buy a 28mm for the Leica at some point or maybe even wider. I noticed there aren't many fast options in the 28mm range though. Any suggestions?

Also, I hear the Zeiss 50 Planar is actually more like a low 40mm lens. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone have any experience with that lens?

Old 01-12-2013   #32
jtm6

"Bokeh" is an unfortunate and intentionally incorrect Romanization of the Japanese word "boke" (bo:ぼ + ke:け) which is pronounced "boh-kay" with long O and and long A vowels. Someone bent the Romanization rules and added an "h" because people not familiar with Romanized Japanese would probably pronounce "boke" like "poke". Instead, almost everyone gets the "ke" wrong now.