Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 12-25-2012   #26
airfrogusmc

A few more

Old 12-27-2012   #27
airfrogusmc

Old 12-31-2012   #28
C_R

Great series ! L1002147, L1003605, IMG_6350BW, and L1002769 are my favs !

Carsten

Old 12-31-2012   #29
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_R View Post
Great series ! L1002147, L1003605, IMG_6350BW, and L1002769 are my favs !

Carsten
Thanks Carsten.

Old 01-01-2013   #30
MartinL
MartinL

A couple I like a lot----Cigar Store, Runner. These I find exceptional. The rest need some added value----:a narrative perhaps. IMO people are inherently interesting so a technically capable shot is fine but may not pass the test of wanting to return for a second look. Subway shots tend to be clichés.

Old 01-01-2013   #31
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
A couple I like a lot----Cigar Store, Runner. These I find exceptional. The rest need some added value----:a narrative perhaps. IMO people are inherently interesting so a technically capable shot is fine but may not pass the test of wanting to return for a second look. Subway shots tend to be clichés.
Thanks Martin for the comments but you didn't like any of the repeating shapes, leading lines, moments that were captured? The guy in the bar window thats mimicking the painting behind him( I think one of my strongest) or the lady walking the dog with a statue inside the window with the same curled tail and opposite stance of the dog walking?

The arrow pointing at the guy walking the dog?

The couple walking and arms mimicking the poster on the wall?

Or the guy smiling almost identically to the Starbucks logo

I'm not saying that you are wrong at all just asking the question.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Allen

Old 01-02-2013   #32
MartinL
MartinL

Hi, and thanks for the opportunity to engage with these photos. Of course, now that I'm discussing the photos, I must "own" these perceptions, and what I have to say can drift far from the images you present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
. . . but you didn't like any of the repeating shapes, leading lines, moments that were captured?
IMO, patterns, fortuitous moments, etc., are or can be worthy elements of an image. But all the world is a pattern, and if not obvious initially, our eye and mind strive to "pattern" (v.t.) or at least associate the apparent jumble. I'm looking for reasons or feelings that make me want to stop at this staircase, this creased face, this subway, or smoker, or dog walker . . .

Quote:
The guy in the bar window thats mimicking the painting behind him( I think one of my strongest)
I agree, this is strong. So I struggled with why I pass it by. Perhaps, too strong? Obvious?
Quote:
or the lady walking the dog with a statue inside the window with the same curled tail and opposite stance of the dog walking?
I scanned back through the pics. Can't seem to locate this.
Quote:
The arrow pointing at the guy walking the dog?
For me, that seems to sum it up--"arrow pointing at the guy. . ." I feel the (likely inaccurate) process here: get behind a powerful symbol or context element and wait for something interesting to pass by. A similar (uber personal) quirk I feel about the bar guy/painting, and the Starbucks shots.)

Quote:
The couple walking and arms mimicking the poster on the wall?
Yes. Strong. More in the sense of appreciating the image than feeling anything about it.

Quote:
Or the guy smiling almost identically to the Starbucks logo
Nope. In Manhattan at this moment there are 17,207 +/- people standing in front of a Starbucks sign.

Quote:
I'm not saying that you are wrong at all just asking the question.
I'd settle for all wrong, all right, alright?

Old 01-02-2013   #33
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:

The Best!
Are you going to make a book out of these?

Old 01-02-2013   #34
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Hi, and thanks for the opportunity to engage with these photos. Of course, now that I'm discussing the photos, I must "own" these perceptions, and what I have to say can drift far from the images you present.

IMO, patterns, fortuitous moments, etc., are or can be worthy elements of an image. But all the world is a pattern, and if not obvious initially, our eye and mind strive to "pattern" (v.t.) or at least associate the apparent jumble. I'm looking for reasons or feelings that make me want to stop at this staircase, this creased face, this subway, or smoker, or dog walker . . .

I agree, this is strong. So I struggled with why I pass it by. Perhaps, too strong? Obvious?

I scanned back through the pics. Can't seem to locate this.

For me, that seems to sum it up--"arrow pointing at the guy. . ." I feel the (likely inaccurate) process here: get behind a powerful symbol or context element and wait for something interesting to pass by. A similar (uber personal) quirk I feel about the bar guy/painting, and the Starbucks shots.)

Yes. Strong. More in the sense of appreciating the image than feeling anything about it.

Nope. In Manhattan at this moment there are 17,207 +/- people standing in front of a Starbucks sign.

I'd settle for all wrong, all right, alright?
I will say that Bresson (and I am in NO WAY saying these are on that level by any means) thought that patterns repeating shapes and other things do indeed appear everywhere but the key is to organize them into some kind of visual sense by first having the vision to see them when they are happening/coming together and then to have the skills to capture those thing on a fraction of a second..
"To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event, as well as of a precise organisation of forms which give that event its proper expression. I believe that through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us which can mould us, but which can also be affected by us. A balance must be established between these two worlds- the one inside us and the one outside us. As the result of a constant reciprocal process, both these worlds come to form a single one. And it is this world that we must communicate. But this takes care only of the content of the picture. For me, content cannot be separated from form. By form, I mean the rigorous organisation of the interplay of surfaces, lines and values. It is in this organisation alone that our conceptions and emotions become concrete and communicable. In photography, visual organisation can stem only from a developed instinct." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

And though I do admire Bresson I think I am more influenced by Frank or Winogrand but I agree with Bressons statement and thats more of what my works about.

Lady with the dog plus her frontal view reflected in the window and the repeating faces from her and the scarecrows.

The Arrow is a street turn arrow painted on the road and I did wait from the man and the dog to get into the right position. Patients, for me, can be part it.

Now if someone in Manhattan is standing in front of a Starbucks sign and smiling in the same way thats on the logo and leaning in almost the same way I would say take the photo.

Thank you so much for taking the time to first look at the work and then taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Allen

Old 01-02-2013   #35
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
The Best!
Are you going to make a book out of these?
Thanks. I have an exhibit of this work (not all of it and I'm still shooting for it) in April and maybe another one at a different gallery in late 13 early 14. Maybe a book down the road. Right now I'm still shooting and then the hard part, editing down to 30 images that look like they belong together.

Old 01-02-2013   #36
Jack Conrad

You've got some crazy good photos there. Some are great. None are bad.
Thanks for posting.

Old 01-02-2013   #37
malland

Quote:
...Lady with the dog plus her frontal view reflected in the window and the repeating faces from her and the scarecrows...
Allen, several comments. First, on the quote above, my feeling is that if one feels one needs to explain what is happening, then the photo has failed.

On a positive note, however, there are some good photos here and when you edit them down to 30 there could be a strong impact. Editing a large body of images is hard and it's also difficult to get real help in doing so, especially since the skills of the photographer and the editor are often different. This raises the issue of whether it's better to present a stream of ongoing work on the web, which is what I do, or save one's ammunition and present the final 30 pictures.

Another comment is on the idea of "street portraits", in the sense that one has sopken to the subject, who is then posing. I saw a blog entry by Kirk Tuck on street photography that was all street portraits — I find the latter much less interesting than the former, but that is my own taste.

Finally, photographing "street people": my own take is that there is not much point in doing that unless there is a purpose beyond photographing easy targets. You state that you're doing a project on this, but this has been done to death and the risk is triteness.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Old 01-02-2013   #38
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by malland View Post
Allen, several comments. First, on the quote above, my feeling is that if one feels one needs to explain what is happening, then the photo has failed.

On a positive note, however, there are some good photos here and when you edit them down to 30 there could be a strong impact. Editing a large body of images is hard and it's also difficult to get real help in doing so, especially since the skills of the photographer and the editor are often different. This raises the issue of whether it's better to present a stream of ongoing work on the web, which is what I do, or save one's ammunition and present the final 30 pictures.

Another comment is on the idea of "street portraits", in the sense that one has sopken to the subject, who is then posing. I saw a blog entry by Kirk Tuck on street photography that was all street portraits — I find the latter much less interesting than the former, but that is my own taste.

Finally, photographing "street people": my own take is that there is not much point in doing that unless there is a purpose beyond photographing easy targets. You state that you're doing a project on this, but this has been done to death and the risk is triteness.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Thnaks so much for the comments. I knew as soon as I put the title on thread it was not right. The working title of the show right now is Fleeting Moments and thats subject to change (LoL).

I think if the visual elements are there and if someone misses it, its not the messengers fault. There are those that will and do see just what I pointed out in that quote because it is clearly there. Now if someone thinks those kind of visual elements are important or not is an entirely different conversation but I clearly do and it drives my vision and repeating shapes, leading lines and other visual tools are usually in my work.

I also agree with the point about about street people but they are not easy targets in this town. My last portfolio in college was a documentary on Maxwell Street here in Chicago and that was in the early 1980s and it at times became very dangerous.

If you notice I am not a half block away with a long lens taking exploitive photos of folks digging through garbage but instead I am up close and personal and have photographed them from a point of respect. To me thats a huge difference. They are out where I am shooting and I will not ignore that fact. I ask if they mind me taking their picture, if they say get the f**k outta here, I do just that. Which, by the way, is what happens more often than not. If they say OK, then I take a picture. I don't pose them or try and pretty things or ugly things up in any way. Its all part of what I see. Many are veterans and thats something very close to my own heart.

Everything has been done to death. In 2000 + years of 2 dimensional art its all been done. But I am attempting to put my own spin of it. Time will tell if I am successful. And its in this town at this particular point in time. So if anything there is a historical value.

A lot of what I'm posting are things I am not 100% sure of. Good to get a little feedback now, much easier to make change before its all printed, mounted, matted, framed and hung.

Again, thanks so much for looking in and taking the time to make comments. You have given me some food for thought.

Old 01-02-2013   #39
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
You've got some crazy good photos there. Some are great. None are bad.
Thanks for posting.
Thanks Jack for tuning in.

Old 01-02-2013   #40
Vics

Quote:
All but 3 of these I asked.

The kid over the shoulder, the smokers and the sax man with cigarette were all in the moment.
I liked them all, but the posed ones most of all, but the kid over the shoulder is great, too! Can't wait to see the finished project.

My Flickr

Old 01-03-2013   #41
MartinL
MartinL

Quote:
The Arrow is a street turn arrow painted on the road and I did wait from the man and the dog to get into the right position. Patients, for me, can be part it.

Now if someone in Manhattan is standing in front of a Starbucks sign and smiling in the same way thats on the logo and leaning in almost the same way I would say take the photo.
Taking another approach---back to the two pics I singled out. The "runner/wall/tree reflection" reaches me deeply. I'm not a critic or scholar of photography, but I'm hard pressed to identify common and often self-consciously-used techniques here: repetition, "mimicking," pattern. This photo's moment feels as much of a decisive creation as a "capture." The photo's elements (human, motion, static, city, nature, etc.)are integrated and not at all self-conscious.

By contrast, the man and the Starbucks figure evoke nothing more than my recognition of their having a similar pose. I find this unremarkable. In a gallery, I'd fleetingly acknowledge that I "get it" and then walk on.

The cigar-store guy is simply joyful. Sure, as an exercise I might note the patterns and composition and award an A+. But that only speaks to the photography--the artifact--and says little about my (the anonymous viewer) relationship to the (anonymous) subject. It's a photo I wish I'd taken and it tweaks my attentiveness to opportunities I may encounter.

Why does the arrow want me to look at the dog and walker? Because it's there? IMO this could be a very fine photo without the dog and walker.

Cheers.

Old 01-03-2013   #42
bfffer

wow, really good set.

My blog

Old 01-03-2013   #43
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Taking another approach---back to the two pics I singled out. The "runner/wall/tree reflection" reaches me deeply. I'm not a critic or scholar of photography, but I'm hard pressed to identify common and often self-consciously-used techniques here: repetition, "mimicking," pattern. This photo's moment feels as much of a decisive creation as a "capture." The photo's elements (human, motion, static, city, nature, etc.)are integrated and not at all self-conscious.

By contrast, the man and the Starbucks figure evoke nothing more than my recognition of their having a similar pose. I find this unremarkable. In a gallery, I'd fleetingly acknowledge that I "get it" and then walk on.

The cigar-store guy is simply joyful. Sure, as an exercise I might note the patterns and composition and award an A+. But that only speaks to the photography--the artifact--and says little about my (the anonymous viewer) relationship to the (anonymous) subject. It's a photo I wish I'd taken and it tweaks my attentiveness to opportunities I may encounter.

Why does the arrow want me to look at the dog and walker? Because it's there? IMO this could be a very fine photo without the dog and walker.

Cheers.
Well, we all should have different styles and work differently. There is no one right or wrong way to approach any subject. The answer for me is to build more than the obvious into my work There is no one right answer but the answer that is right for me. I tend to look for and like work that goes beyond the obvious. I like to work with lines, shapes, repeating shapes, triangular compositions and other elements that ask the viewer to also see if he can see those things in my work. Its not like everybody elses work because for the most part those elements are as important and in some cases more important than what is obvious. Thats not everyones cup of tea and thats quite alright with me. Thanks for the comments and I can see that we see very differently and thats a good thing, right? If everyone used the same rules and shot the same way the world would be a very dull place indeed.

Old 01-03-2013   #44
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfffer View Post
wow, really good set.
thanks bfffer and Vics. I have a lot more shooting to do, a lot of thinking and a ton of editing to do and all the comments are so appreciated.

Old 01-08-2013   #45
airfrogusmc

A few more

Old 01-08-2013   #46
airfrogusmc

Old 01-08-2013   #47
squirrelman

I have to say it made me really happy to see all the Chicago shots. How could seeing such great shots of your home city not?

Old 01-08-2013   #48
xdayv
Color Blind

Allen, thanks for the inspiring shots. keep 'em coming...

Old 01-09-2013   #49
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
I have to say it made me really happy to see all the Chicago shots. How could seeing such great shots of your home city not?
Thanks,
So are you still in Chicago?

Old 01-09-2013   #50
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
Allen, thanks for the inspiring shots. keep 'em coming...
Thank you Dave.