Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Pushing the Monochrom further
Old 12-14-2012   #1
janrzm

Pushing the Monochrom further

Hi

I wrote a small piece looking at ISO's on the Monochrom from 800-3200 along with some 100% crops for anyone that's interested, you can find it here - Scary Faces……pushing the Monochrom further.

This is a follow up to my previous piece - Monochrom – Scarily Good….

Here are a couple of sample shots -

ISO 1250

ISO 3200

Cheers, Jason.
ISO 3200

Old 12-14-2012   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Jason,

Thanks for the posting. I'm glad you are exploiting your connections with the theater. Seems like a great opportunity to explore low level lighting.

Shortly I should have a MM.

Cal

Old 12-14-2012   #3
Richard G

Staggering. That denim crop at 1250 ISO is unbelievable. And beautiful shots. Very rich blacks as you say. One to two minutes.....that's a long time: what pp did you do on these?

Old 12-14-2012   #4
janrzm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Staggering. That denim crop at 1250 ISO is unbelievable. And beautiful shots. Very rich blacks as you say. One to two minutes.....that's a long time: what pp did you do on these?
Thanks Richard

I think so too, I was blown away by it.

Funny how opinion on processing time can vary so much, although I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by that. I think 1-2 mins per image is pretty good, I understand some want images straight from the camera whilst others will spend much longer. Overall, I think its on the quick side, may be wrong and would be interested to hear what others think on this?

In terms of processing, I'd prefer not to say at this point. The only reason for that is I am working on a post that compares B&W's processed on the MM and M9 as I get quite a few emails on both. I figure I may as well make the most of the interest while its there

Cheers, Jason.

Old 12-14-2012   #5
astro8

I can easily spend 1 - 2 hours processing an image...

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-14-2012   #6
bensyverson

I don't know, I'm not sold on this camera. It makes everyone look like a zombie! Very unflattering.

Old 12-14-2012   #7
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrzm View Post
Thanks Richard

I think so too, I was blown away by it.

Funny how opinion on processing time can vary so much, although I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by that. I think 1-2 mins per image is pretty good, I understand some want images straight from the camera whilst others will spend much longer. Overall, I think its on the quick side, may be wrong and would be interested to hear what others think on this?

In terms of processing, I'd prefer not to say at this point. The only reason for that is I am working on a post that compares B&W's processed on the MM and M9 as I get quite a few emails on both. I figure I may as well make the most of the interest while its there

Cheers, Jason.
Thanks Jason. I wasn't thinking you we're slow on the computer: just the opposite. A minute is a good chunk of time. You would get a lot done in one minute that would teach me a thing or two.
I look forward to your distilled M9/MM wisdom.

We've discussed M9 jpeg black and white previously and another admirer of them who has the MM too reckoned that there was nothing much extra in an MM JPEG. I'll be interested in what you've found.