Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Canonet QL17: spoilt metering
Old 10-31-2005   #1
juggler

Unhappy Canonet QL17: spoilt metering

*sigh*

I have 2 nice looking QL17 but in both the metering doesn't work. Though cameras should be able to be used for photo-taking, it would be better if the metering works as well to cut down the guess-work.

The problems are:

1) New Canonet QL17 (1969):

Metering not working. Battery check works as the needle moved down from f/1.7 to the green zone when the red check button is pressed. However, in "Auto" mode, the needle remains above the f/1.7 mark.

2) Canonet GIII QL17 (1972):

In this one, the battery check did not give me any indication. Battery compartment looks clean. The metering needle remain above the f/1.7 mark when in "Auto" mode. Hopefully this one is just a loose connection problem.

Anyone can help guide me though further checking and repair? I am not so much of a techie person. I don't know anything about the electronics inside the camera...

Thanks for any advice. Cheers!

Old 11-01-2005   #2
zuikologist

Is the film speed set to a reasonable speed - say 100 ASA or over? If it is a slow film speed, the meter might not respond to light beyond its range. Also, Sometimes the contacts inside the aperture ring get dirty - it helps to move the aperture ring to clear any minor corrosion or dirt.

Old 11-01-2005   #3
dmr
Registered Abuser

If it would help, I have a service manual for the GIII which has the electrical schematic. PM me if you want this.

Old 11-01-2005   #4
juggler

Thanks for all replies.

Just an update:

I tried the GIII again. Fiddled here, turned there, took out the battery and re-insert. And the metering is alive again. The battery check worked as well. I think it may be dirty contact problem. Whew!

However, for the QL17, it is the same problem.