Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 12-11-2012   #76
NicoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
completely disagree. I have been shopping them for a friend....almost impossible to find them for $1500. the only examples have been EBay....and even those are VERY rare.
You haven't been looking hard enough then, because they're there. The M8s sold on eBay that were shared in a previous post were sold with only 1-3 bids. Not competitive at all. They're there.

EDIT: Seeing as this back and fourth discusion of ours is not leading to anything useful, I say that we just end it right here. (y)

Old 12-11-2012   #77
Nescio

There's no point in asking, you'll get no reply
Oh just remember I don't decide
I got no reason it's all too much
You'll always find us out to lunch

Sex Pistols dixit

Nescio

Old 12-11-2012   #78
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoM View Post
You haven't been looking hard enough then, because they're there. The M8s sold on eBay that were shared in a previous post were sold with only 1-3 bids. Not competitive at all. They're there.

EDIT: Seeing as this back and fourth discusion of ours is not leading to anything useful, I say that we just end it right here. (y)
links? nobody has posted any aside from the 3 auctions as discussed before. for every one that sold with 1 buyer on the cheap, there are MANY with lots of bids that sold for $2k. The single bid auctions are likely 'buy it now' listings.

This discussion has no point, however I find that forums are often inundated with misinformation, as witnessed in the 'fatal' LCD issues of the M8 previously and now for pricing of cameras.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-12-2012   #79
gdi

Of course you are wrong about the low priced M8s being all Buy It Nows. Looking at the ones JSRocket posted quickly shows that all but one were straight auctions as show below. The one that was Buy It Now was from a dealer. (it did not have the charger, but still an OK deal after adding one for less than $100).

There are also others that sold in that price range - two were $1651 each (one Black -4 bids, one Chrome-6 bids) Plus there are more that topped out, but didn't meet reserve, at $1635/22 Bids and $1675/28 Bids, both a little high of course. In fact just as I was typing this I see an M8 sold for $1642 after 9 bids - and that was in the UK! I am not going to post links, but you should be able to figure out how to find these and determine whether they are Buy It Now or not by yourself.

When you ask for links at other sites, I assume you are thinking that items for sale always sell at the listed price. Many times that is just not true, most people post an optimistic price and are willing to go down from there. If you have a camera advertised for weeks at $1800 and someone offers you a done deal at $1600, you will likely be willing to take it - $200 isn't much difference, only about 11%. (I recently bought a camera for $2700 that was advertised intially for $3200 or so.) You should be able to do searches of forums to see M8s that sit unsold for weeks at $1800 and more - these will likely be sold eventually for hundreds less. You don't go to the car dealership and just pay the sticker price do you?

The bottom line is - given the easily verified evidence, it is silly to think that M8s can't be had for $1500-1600 and to assume that average eBay prices set the market price of private sales. Like I said before, some will over pay, and some will get a good deal. I know that for some people it can hurt to think the camera they bought several months ago could be bought now for hundreds less. That is just way it works sometimes; I try not to think much about the X-Pro1 I bought for around $1500 a few months ago that I could buy now for $1000-1100, but I don't argue with people about the fact that I couldn't get my money back!

Here are the facts about the JSRocket's links.:

$1216: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-bod...item337df02e7b - Buy It Now, sold by a well known dealer

$1515: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item4abef1ff59 - NOT a Buy It Now - this drew a single bid

$1615: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Leica...item416e002145 - NOT a Buy It Now - this drew three bids

$1640: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-bod...item3f1f482ea3 - NOT a Buy It Now - this drew two bids

Old 12-12-2012   #80
jsrockit

I thought we already determined that both of you are correct?

Old 12-12-2012   #81
gdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I thought we already determined that both of you are correct?
Yes, it has been established that both NicoM and I are correct.

Old 12-12-2012   #82
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi View Post
Yes, it has been established that both NicoM and I are correct.
no...both of you are just making up stuff. i am the only person who has actually made any sort of calculations-----thus making me most correct, obviously

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-12-2012   #83
gdi

Quote:
no...both of you are just making up stuff. i am the only person who has actually made any sort of calculations-----thus making me most correct, obviously
You seem to be reality challenged!

Old 12-12-2012   #84
umcelinho
Marcelo

nah, you are all wrong, the actual market price for used M8s is $8.902.972.50

regards,

M
cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 12-12-2012   #85
IEDEI

Quote:
You seem to be reality challenged!
lol @ the person who is exaggerating claims calling the person who evaluated the numbers "reality challenged". that's rich.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-12-2012   #86
Clark.EE

Average price for M8 & 9 in the last month.
13 No. M8 & 21 No M9.
Ebay completed listings.
Worldwide from Ebay UK.
M8 1186.00
M9 2651.00

Interesting.

Old 12-12-2012   #87
NicoM

Quote:
lol @ the person who is exaggerating claims calling the person who evaluated the numbers "reality challenged". that's rich.
Wow, don't get too heated up. Like I said earlier, there's no point in arguing about this anymore. No one is going to change anyone's mind. I just know that I won't ever consider buying an M8 in the $1800-1900 price range, because I've seen cameras that were $1600 as they were available, multiple times. Your experience may be different. It's whatever.

Since you're helping your friend look for an M8, I'd encourage you to look out for the low prices. Another camera just went for $1,650 today. Not mint, but not bad at all. An M8 also went for $1700 yesterday with a few extras. The second one is a little beat u though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item2ec4608dfc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item35c275318e

Old 12-12-2012   #88
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark.EE View Post
Average price for M8 & 9 in the last month.
13 No. M8 & 21 No M9.
Ebay completed listings.
Worldwide from Ebay UK.
M8 1186.00
M9 2651.00

Interesting.
Sorry for the lack of knowledge of conversion to USD but what does that mean in USD? Like the fact that its making the M9 more financially accessible for me though lens will always be premium.... thanks
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100

Old 12-12-2012   #89
James24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
Sorry for the lack of knowledge of conversion to USD but what does that mean in USD?

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=USD

Old 12-12-2012   #90
gdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoM View Post
Wow, don't get too heated up. Like I said earlier, there's no point in arguing about this anymore. No one is going to change anyone's mind. I just know that I won't ever consider buying an M8 in the $1800-1900 price range, because I've seen cameras that were $1600 as they were available, multiple times. Your experience may be different. It's whatever.

Since you're helping your friend look for an M8, I'd encourage you to look out for the low prices. Another camera just went for $1,650 today. Not mint, but not bad at all. An M8 also went for $1700 yesterday with a few extras. The second one is a little beat u though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item2ec4608dfc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item35c275318e

I think there may be a need for a buyers service to help those who are not very savvy shoppers (the sticker-payers). Maybe we can team up on the venture?

Old 01-04-2013   #91
gdi

Just a quick update, to show that patience can pay off...

I missed the pretty nice M8 that went for $1325 in the classifieds here a few weeks back - I wasn't paying attention! But a couple of weeks ago, I did find a very nice one with about 6500 shots on it for about $1125 ( after accounting for a few extras that came with it). It may need some pixels mapped eventually if I want to use high ISO a lot without tweaking with Pixel Fixer, but since I'll mostly use it for IR, I doubt it will prove too much trouble.

I watched a lot of them sit unsold at $1700 plus, but I think sellers will eventually realize the trend and prices will settle a couple hundred lower than that. It's a pretty good time to get into an M8 if you can live with its idiosyncrasies!

Old 01-04-2013   #92
IEDEI

Quote:
Just a quick update, to show that patience can pay off...

I missed the pretty nice M8 that went for $1325 in the classifieds here a few weeks back - I wasn't paying attention! But a couple of weeks ago, I did find a very nice one with about 6500 shots on it for about $1125 ( after accounting for a few extras that came with it). It may need some pixels mapped eventually if I want to use high ISO a lot without tweaking with Pixel Fixer, but since I'll mostly use it for IR, I doubt it will prove too much trouble.

I watched a lot of them sit unsold at $1700 plus, but I think sellers will eventually realize the trend and prices will settle a couple hundred lower than that. It's a pretty good time to get into an M8 if you can live with its idiosyncrasies!

"after accounting for extras"? what does that mean? where did you buy it and what was the actual buying price?

98% of the M8s are STILL selling for over $1700. So your deal, if that's what you paid for it....is not typical for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Digital-Came...H_Sold=1&rt=nc

500px/IEDEI

Old 01-04-2013   #93
gdi

Quote:
"after accounting for extras"? what does that mean? where did you buy it and what was the actual buying price?
That means I subtracted the value of added accessories from the selling price, of course.

Quote:
98% of the M8s are STILL selling for over $1700. So your deal, if that's what you paid for it....is not typical for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Digital-Came...H_Sold=1&rt=nc
I'm not going to bother analyzing eBay sales, but your link shows a lot of them selling for < $1500 to 1700. But in the end you are right that a lot sell for over $1700 (though I question your 98% estimate).

I just wanted to update this to show that I was able to find one at what I consider a pretty good price.

EDIT: Though my price doesn't look that great after finding this!! : http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-STEEL-...item35c25f863b

Last edited by gdi : 01-04-2013 at 14:23.

Old 01-04-2013   #94
jsrockit

This is still an issue?

Old 01-04-2013   #95
Tessar.

Just bought my M8 last week from a dealer (LCE with 6 months warranty) for 1200 with the Leica M8 grip and original base. Boxed with spare battery etc. great condition and 10200 actuations. Very pleased with it.

When I got it the box had 1695 on the price sticker, so must have been in their stock for a while!

Old 01-06-2013   #96
lhotse

so where do we think M9 prices will settle after the new-m is released?
my guess is around $3.5k - anyone else?

Markets & Conditions
Old 01-06-2013   #97
russelljtdyer
Writer

Markets & Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotse View Post
so where do we think M9 prices will settle after the new-m is released? my guess is around $3.5k - anyone else?
Many of the posts in this thread talk about pricing on ebay. The problem that I see with ebay is the credibility of the vendors related to their quality ratings of the cameras. A camera in excellent condition according to a vendor on ebay may not receive so high of a quality rating from credible vendors like KEH, Adorama, or B&H Photo. The nice aspect of ebay, though, is that they represent a more fluid market. If the three vendors I just mentioned all set their prices high, it may take weeks before they lower their prices in response to market forces. Whereas ebay prices change with each 'auction' -- albeit not always justifiably.

I would re-articulate your question, lhotse, in two basic ways: what do you think will be the average price of a Leica M9 camera in any functioning condition in the coming months on ebay; and, what do you think will be the average price be of a Leica M9 camera in excellent condition on sites like KEH?

For some, the lowest price to be found for an M9 in reasonably good condition is fine. In which case, an ebay purchase may be their better choice. With such a wide range of qualities on ebay, I think it's difficult to say with probability of accuracy what the average price might be.

For me, for such a large purchase, I prefer to buy an M9 from a vendor like KEH and I'd prefer that its condition be at least what they would classify as excellent or thereabout. They had one in EX- condition that they priced at $4200 a few weeks ago. So I think soon they will be selling ones in excellent condition for $4000, maybe as low as $3800. I hope, though, that they will go to $3500 as you suggest. That would be sweet. It would make my life easier.

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Zeiss Ikon camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Russell's Photography Equipment (updated April 2014)
Leica M9 camera
Zeiss Ikon camera

Leica Elmarit-M f2.8 21mm (E49) lens
Zeiss Biogon ZM f/2 35mm lens
Leica Summicron-M f2 50mm lens
Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm (E46 Germany) lens

Old 01-06-2013   #98
ramosa

Man, everything I don't like about RFF going on in this stream ...

Let me try to change to flow ... Here's an eBay listing for an M9P. I have absolutely no part in the sale--and would have already snapped it up if I weren't waiting to see what the M holds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370701164076...84.m1438.l2649

Old 01-06-2013   #99
clicker

I get a very negative vib from this post,think it is time to log off.

Old 01-07-2013   #100
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelljtdyer View Post
I prefer to buy an M9 from a vendor like KEH and I'd prefer that its condition be at least what they would classify as excellent or thereabout. They had one in EX- condition that they priced at $4200 a few weeks ago. So I think soon they will be selling ones in excellent condition for $4000, maybe as low as $3800. I hope, though, that they will go to $3500 as you suggest. That would be sweet. It would make my life easier.
...like this silver one at adorama for $3.999? it's the first sub $4k I see on a main vendor.
cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr