Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 12-11-2012   #51
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Look at ebay closed auctions... there is a $1500 and $1625 right there. Sure, they don't routinely sell for this, but YES, they do at times.
i JUST calculated the selling price of the last 15 M8s sold on Ebay over the past 1 week and the average selling price is $1950+.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #52
douglasf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i JUST calculated the selling price of the last 15 M8s sold on Ebay over the past 1 week and the average selling price is $1950+.
Just out of curiosity, were any of those M8u or M8.2s?

Old 12-11-2012   #53
jsrockit

Quote:
Ok, you win... we made it all up. Thanks though, your use of capitals and bold helped my little brain comprehend what your points were better.

Anyway, last month (SOLD):

$1216: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-bod...item337df02e7b

$1515: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-10-...item4abef1ff59

$1615: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Leica...item416e002145

$1640: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M8-bod...item3f1f482ea3

Note that I said earlier in the thread that prices have went back up... I also said you were both right. You are right that it isn't easy to get a $1500 M8 and he was right in pointing out that they do exist.

Old 12-11-2012   #54
IEDEI

Quote:
Ok, you win... we made it all up. Thanks though, your use of capitals and bold helped my little brain comprehend what your points were better.
average > statistical abnormalities. simple logic, really.

if you need that in caps, let me know and I shall redo it for you.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #55
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Just out of curiosity, were any of those M8u or M8.2s?
no, i excluded all M8.1s or M8.2s.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #56
jsrockit

Quote:
average > statistical abnormalities. simple logic, really.
If I'm buying a M8 (all things equal), should I buy one at the average just for the sake of it or should I buy it at the lowest possible price? Sure, statistics are good for proving your agenda, but when you are buying something, you generally want the best deal. The fact is that M8s have sold for less than you thought they did at times. We didn't get anywhere since I said that your guys were both right. You are right that $1500-1650 isn't the average and he was right that they do go for these prices at times. This is not abnormal, just the ebb and flow of how things sell in Leica land.

Old 12-11-2012   #57
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
It's not new enough. How many of us are changing cameras for genuine improvements rather than lust? Some people genuinely need high ISO performance (but want a sexy range finder more than a boring Canon), but I think most of us hobbyists are just buying for lust. I don't think I've ever bought a camera for a feature I genuinely needed.
Photographers buy lights for necessity, lenses for curiosity and cameras for lust...

GLF

Old 12-11-2012   #58
IEDEI

Quote:
If I'm buying a M8 (all things equal), should I buy one at the average just for the sake of it or should I buy it at the lowest possible price? Sure, statistics are good for proving your agenda, but when you are buying something, you generally want the best deal. The fact is that M8s have sold for less than you thought they did at times. We didn't get anywhere since I said that your guys were both right. You are right that $1500-1650 isn't the average and he was right that they do go for these prices at times. This is not abnormal, just the ebb and flow of how things sell in Leica land.
true. but as enthusiasts, i'm pretty sure we are all willing to NOT just buy the cheapest one out there. I'm always weary of the cheapest one....as often they are rough, abused/overused, etc....that being said, one can always get lucky and get a great deal.

either way....truce....truce...for the sake of NYC's 2nd hand M8 market. lol.

speaking of which...check out this bad boy! $2800 for an M9!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-STEEL-...p2047675.l2557

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #59
jsrockit

Quote:
true. but as enthusiasts, i'm pretty sure we are all willing to NOT just buy the cheapest one out there. I'm always weary of the cheapest one....as often they are rough, abused/overused, etc....that being said, one can always get lucky and get a great deal.

either way....truce....truce...for the sake of NYC's 2nd hand M8 market. lol.
Ok, truce.

Well, the cheapest one was from Ken Hansen... and he's trustworthy. $1200 is just plain stupid. Someone got lucky that day.

Quote:
speaking of which...check out this bad boy! $2800 for an M9!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-STEEL-...p2047675.l2557
You just broke my heart... I would have bought this had I known. Grrrr.

Old 12-11-2012   #60
IEDEI

Quote:
Ok, truce.

Well, the cheapest one was from Ken Hansen... and he's trustworthy. $1200 is just plain stupid. Someone got lucky that day.

wow...ken hansen sold it for $1200?! that's crazy.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #61
dabick42
-

No offense to anybody, but I find all this talk of camera prices just a tad depressing.

It sounds like a bunch of angst-ridden stockmarket traders discussing share prices in the Depression era !

Do people on this forum really lie awake at night worrying about what their camera/gear will be worth in the morning, or next month, or should they have sold it 6 months ago when prices were higher ?

Seems very sad to me. But what do I know, I haven't sold a camera in 30-odd years and I'm too busy trying to wear out the several dozen I presently own to waste time worrying about what they're worth.... (!)

Old 12-11-2012   #62
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabick42 View Post
Seems very sad to me. But what do I know, I haven't sold a camera in 30-odd years and I'm too busy trying to wear out the several dozen I presently own to waste time worrying about what they're worth.... (!)
it's just a topic....if you don't like it...why are you reading it?

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #63
James24

Quote:
I haven't sold a camera in 30-odd years and I'm too busy trying to wear out the several dozen I presently own...

This reveals that you are truly fortunate. Many of us have to keep selling cameras (and hence are deeply concerned with their second hand values) in order to buy newer ones.

Old 12-11-2012   #64
gdi

Quote:
i'm not worried...at all. but you are exaggerating the prices. there are FAR MORE selling for higher than that than whatever amounts you are stating....i haven't found what you're saying to be true anywhere online.
I' m not exaggerating and what I say is true; because you don't accept it doesn't make it false.

I never said that most sell for the low price, or that it was the average price. I clearly explained my rationale, which cannot be questioned, with honesty. It is unfortunate that you didn't seem to read my post (or try to understand it) before replying. Take a look at the classifieds at RFF- there is a very nice one with several extras that was posted over a month ago and hasn't sold; it has an $1800 price. Look here, getdpi, fm and you see several more cases.

The patient get the best deal, the impatient do not - fact even if you cannot accept it.

Old 12-11-2012   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Several dozen? Sounds like you don't care about selling because you are a hoarder! I'm interested in the topic because I'm in the market for a M9. It makes sense then right?

Old 12-11-2012   #66
IEDEI

Quote:
Several dozen? Sounds like you don't care about selling because you are a hoarder! I'm interested in the topic because I'm in the market for a M9.
several dozen could be anywhere between 36 and 144 (or more) cameras!!! LOL

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #67
dabick42
-

@ James24 - - -
Fortunate ? No, just puzzled as to why some people feel compelled to change their cameras as often as their underwear.

Do you lose money every time you sell and buy and sell and buy ?

Did you wear your last camera out ?

In what way is your new camera better than your old camera ?

More reliable ? How would you know, you didn't keep it long enough !

Better pictures ? What does ''better'' mean ?

More sex appeal and ''street cred'' ? Why not, if that's important to you...

So many questions, so little understanding of the constant need for change...

Old 12-11-2012   #68
NicoM

Quote:
Like I said in a previous post, I'd never ever use eBay to determine the going rate of Leica given the number of cameras that are selling for outrageous prices. Just as there are people that sell them for too low, there are people who will buy for a high price.

In my opinion, if there are ENOUGH M8s that are going for $1500-1600 (which multiple people have given example of), why even bother looking at the ones selling for $1800-1900? At this point point in time, it doesn't make sense to me why someone would consider the M8s in the $1800-1900 price range unless they come with extras/warranty and such, or you need one immediately.

Old 12-11-2012   #69
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoM View Post
Like I said in a previous post, I'd never ever use eBay to determine the going rate of Leica given the number of cameras that are selling for outrageous prices. Just as there are people that sell them for too low, there are people who will buy for a high price.

In my opinion, if there are ENOUGH M8s that are going for $1500-1600 (which multiple people have given example of), why even bother looking at the ones selling for $1800-1900? At this point point in time, it doesn't make sense to me why someone would consider the M8s in the $1800-1900 price range unless they come with extras/warranty and such, or you need one immediately.
that makes NO sense. so you won't use Ebay to determine the average price (which is actually quite accurate...and something i calculated for you), however you will gladly use it to determine the 'low' prices? i have seen no examples of $1500 M8s anywhere aside from Ebay.....zilch. You can't have it both ways.

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-11-2012   #70
NicoM

Quote:
that makes NO sense. so you won't use Ebay to determine the average price (which is actually quite accurate...and something i calculated for you), however you will gladly use it to determine the 'low' prices? i have seen no examples of $1500 M8s anywhere aside from Ebay.....zilch. You can't have it both ways.
I said not use eBays "average price" to determine what the M8 should be sold for. I didn't say not to buy from eBay. I'd buy from eBay.

What I said was to argue your "average price" calculations. In your post, you equated what you got as "average price" to be the same as what you considered to be the going rate of the M8. If you average out what is on eBay, you probably DO get the figure that you stated, but that takes into account the M8s that are selling for higher. I wouldn't include the higher prices to determine the "going rate" when, like I also said earlier, there are ENOUGH M8s selling in the $1500-1600 price range. I'm sure you'd agree if you were still in the market to buy one today.

Old 12-11-2012   #71
James24

Quote:
@ James24 - - -
Fortunate ? No, just puzzled as to why some people feel compelled to change their cameras as often as their underwear.

Well, we're all different.

I like to change cameras. I have worn some out/broken them but my main motivation for getting a newer one is that I enjoy doing so. It's a part of my hobby. Taking pictures is another part.

Some people buy new cars and change them every year. Some buy one every 10 years and run it into the ground. I don't suppose cameras buyers are any different. And there's room for us all.

Old 12-11-2012   #72
dabick42
-

@ James24 - - -
You're right - we're all different !

This forum would be bloody boring if we all held the same opinions on everything photographic.

FWIW, I drive an 18-year old car that I've had 10 years and I can't wear that bugger out, either, even after 312,000 miles....

Old 12-11-2012   #73
Clark.EE

Is Leica glass appreciating? or depreciating at the moment?
Is anyone looking at that?
Every one says it is an investment!
Is that true at the moment? I suspect not, long term/very long term maybe?
New Summicron 50/2 in 2007 was?
& now?
Anyone care?

Old 12-11-2012   #74
Nescio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark.EE View Post
Is Leica glass appreciating? or depreciating at the moment?
Is anyone looking at that?
Every one says it is an investment!
Is that true at the moment? I suspect not, long term/very long term maybe?
New Summicron 50/2 in 2007 was?
& now?
Anyone care?
When Lady Crisis starts knocking on my door,
I appreciate my Leica lenses even more.

Sold mothers gold teeth and my fathers lore,
and love my Leica lenses more and more.

Rings the usher, friend or foe,
No want no cake, just wants the dough.

Don't be rude, just smile, I say,
And took a picture with a nice bokeh,

C'mon, give me all you got,
Your TV, fridge and all the lot.

You can have it all, and even more,
All but my lenses mine of yore.

Nescio

Old 12-11-2012   #75
IEDEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoM View Post
I said not use eBays "average price" to determine what the M8 should be sold for. I didn't say not to buy from eBay. I'd buy from eBay.

What I said was to argue your "average price" calculations. In your post, you equated what you got as "average price" to be the same as what you considered to be the going rate of the M8. If you average out what is on eBay, you probably DO get the figure that you stated, but that takes into account the M8s that are selling for higher. I wouldn't include the higher prices to determine the "going rate" when, like I also said earlier, there are ENOUGH M8s selling in the $1500-1600 price range. I'm sure you'd agree if you were still in the market to buy one today.
completely disagree. I have been shopping them for a friend....almost impossible to find them for $1500. the only examples have been EBay....and even those are VERY rare.

500px/IEDEI