Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 12-07-2012   #41
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Has anyone here ever had any MM files printed using the Leica baryta print service that is offered to MM owners? If so, how do they compare to 'traditional' prints?
This is an interesting question. Another question is the costs. I believe the lab is in England.

Cal

Maggie's blog: WWW.AccidentalIcon.com

Old 12-07-2012   #42
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
you are right, the MM files do look different.
Yes and I only made the comment that they don't look like film because someone in the thread made the point that they were persuasive enough to go to digital and leave film behind. I assumed that he/she saw some kind of connection but now I see that it's the difference that's persuasive, not any perceived similarity.

The pictures are extremely vivid and I'm not sure that I see with such clarity, and I have 20/20 vision. To my rather untutored eye they are too vivid as if sharpness has been over-emphasized without the artifacts. It reminds me a bit of the over-saturation you see in color everywhere. I can imagine though that these shots printed big from a RAW processed file would be very interesting to look at on a wall.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-07-2012   #43
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post

The pictures are extremely vivid and I'm not sure that I see with such clarity, and I have 20/20 vision. To my rather untutored eye they are too vivid as if sharpness has been over-emphasized without the artifacts. ...
Peter,
the files from the MM do provide just a starting point. What people do with contrast or clarity slider in LR4 to achieve what they like, is very much a personal preference. The downsizing to jpg for posting will increase certain aspects of the process.

If you prefer a more subtle approach to contrast, no big deal. The information is all there.

Here is an example straight from the camera, no corrections what so ever, just down sized for posting:

To evaluate the capacity of the MM you will need to shoot the MM yourself and load the orginal files on your own desktop and use a calibrated monitor. Everything you see on the web is nothing more than a nice teaser. Even the Leica examples on their website or what has been shown at the Monochrom workshop in NYC (Macbook via projector to screen) was not really convincing. I did not really understand their argument the MM is "100% better than the M9" until I saw the files on my monitor at home.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Bought and sold MM
Old 12-09-2012   #44
Satijntje

Bought and sold MM

On the German Ebay, there is currently a 5 days old MM "for sale" for 1000 Euro above the official price here in Germany.
It seems that somebody intends to make money out of it

John

Old 12-10-2012   #45
Vince Lupo

Just got an email today from my Leica 'source' -- I should have a Monochrom this week!

Now I just have to justify its ownership by making good photos......

Old 12-12-2012   #46
Vince Lupo

Oh yeah!

Old 12-12-2012   #47
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Oh yeah!

Congrats.

It seems Leica closes down for a Christmas to New Years break. I'm number 4 on a list, and it seems more and more likely my MM will come in January.

Cal

Old 12-12-2012   #48
NicoM

Quote:
Oh yeah!

I'm a little jealous. Just kidding, I'm very jelous! Enjoy your now camera

Old 12-12-2012   #49
Vince Lupo

The challenge now is to justify its ownership and make some worthy photos.

Old 12-12-2012   #50
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
The challenge now is to justify its ownership and make some worthy photos.
No doubt. Check out the MM landscape thread for inspiration.

Cal

Old 12-13-2012   #51
Vince Lupo

Just got the Monochrom all set up and registered. Strange for me personally how they give you a very nice leather strap, but this morning I switched back to my well-worn Gordy strap, and switched out the baseplate for the grip/baseplate I was using on the M9. Yes, even with an $8k camera, you still want to personalize it.

Big question now is whether I should mat and frame the Jacob Aue Sobol print that came with the camera!

Old 12-13-2012   #52
borge

Quote:
Just got the Monochrom all set up and registered. Strange for me personally how they give you a very nice leather strap, but this morning I switched back to my well-worn Gordy strap, and switched out the baseplate for the grip/baseplate I was using on the M9. Yes, even with an $8k camera, you still want to personalize it.

Big question now is whether I should mat and frame the Jacob Aue Sobol print that came with the camera!
The included "Leica Premium Leather strap" is crap! :-)
A Gordy's is much, much better in every way. I tried to age the Leica leather strap and the neck pad split in two because it was glued with a crappy glue and not stiched. The strap itself feels a lot better after some twisting, stretching and abuse but the Gordy's strap I paid about $30 for is much, much better... And Leica wants $150 for the original MM strap if you want it replaced

Silly really.