Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Have you bought and sold an MM?
Old 12-04-2012   #1
MVCG

Have you bought and sold an MM?

I have been contemplating a Leica M Monochrom and was wondering if any of our illustrious members have purchased an MM and gone on to realise it wasn't for them, and if so, WHY????

Old 12-04-2012   #2
photony texas
Light Sensitive

Bought, will never sell...!

Old 12-04-2012   #3
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by photony texas View Post
+1.
A totally stupid amount of cash, no doubt but heck... it motivated me like no other piece of equipement (incl. M9) to get out there and shoot.
Obviously I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve to get the most out of it but I am pretty ok with what and how I've captured images so far.
See my gallery or the "Monochrom best pictures" thread.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-04-2012   #4
Richard G

Yes. I'm hoping for this unlikely eventuality too...

Old 12-04-2012   #5
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Bought, will not sell.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-05-2012   #6
IEDEI

yes I've bought several.....in my imagination *sigh*

500px/IEDEI

Old 12-05-2012   #7
rodt16s

Thought there was one for sale in the classifieds a while back

Old 12-05-2012   #8
Rayt

I am strictly a film shooter from half frame to 4x5 but that Monochrom will change that probably in a year when I can afford one.

Old 12-05-2012   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I bought, await delivery, and already know I will never sell.

Thought I was an old film only die hard who does not even scan, but it seems Leica designed and then made the ideal camera for a B&W only shooter like me who is a slacker. In a way Leica created my dream camera.

As far as being expensive, I don't think so because I shoot a lot. A MM would be a luxury good if not used extensively, I figure I shoot about 50-60 rolls of film a month (120 and 135) which is about $2.5K in film costs every year, and its just a matter of time that the MM will offset my film costs enough to pay for itself.

Cal

Maggie's blog: WWW.AccidentalIcon.com

Old 12-05-2012   #10
swoop

I think the monochrome is a camera that really is intended to cater to and convert the die hard film photographer. Anyone who purchases one knows what they are getting into in terms of its limitations, its capabilities and its price. And knowing all that there really isn't a reason to sell one once you're in. I think it really is the only digital that will never face obsolescence.

Old 12-05-2012   #11
Roger Hicks

Who is (a) rich enough and (b) stupid enough to buy such a camera on a whim and sell it after a few weeks?

If you can afford to buy an MM on a whim, you're not likely to need the money you can get from selling it. If you have to think about buying it, you can probably think clearly enough not to buy it on a whim.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-05-2012   #12
srtiwari
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Who is (a) rich enough and (b) stupid enough to buy such a camera on a whim and sell it after a few weeks?

If you can afford to buy an MM on a whim, you're not likely to need the money you can get from selling it. If you have to think about buying it, you can probably think clearly enough not to buy it on a whim.

Cheers,

R.
It seems to me that the OP wants to understand if any users have been disappointed (and perhaps why) in buying and using the camera, and then decided to sell it. I'm not sure he's interested in those buying on a whim. Impulse buying is just that, and 'buyer's remorse' is all it takes to sell it.

Old 12-05-2012   #13
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
I think the monochrome is a camera that really is intended to cater to and convert the die hard film photographer. Anyone who purchases one knows what they are getting into in terms of its limitations, its capabilities and its price. And knowing all that there really isn't a reason to sell one once you're in. I think it really is the only digital that will never face obsolescence.
Ken,

You described exactly what happened to me. Many people who know me said that the MM is the perfect camera for me.

Cal

Maggie's blog: WWW.AccidentalIcon.com

Old 12-05-2012   #14
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtiwari View Post
It seems to me that the OP wants to understand if any users have been disappointed (and perhaps why) in buying and using the camera, and then decided to sell it. I'm not sure he's interested in those buying on a whim. Impulse buying is just that, and 'buyer's remorse' is all it takes to sell it.
Um... Yes. Tell me the difference.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-05-2012   #15
f16sunshine
Your Momma !

i bought a freezer full and when that is gone, maybe the MM will actually be available on an off the shelf basis.
It's a beautiful machine. Hope to add one in the next year.

Old 12-05-2012   #16
kokoshawnuff

No one can say they'll "never" sell it. What happens when the MMM/MM.2 comes out? Or when parts can't be sourced in 8 years?

That said I have seen 3 used for sale thus far (not including those wishing to trade a black for a silver or vis versa)

Old 12-05-2012   #17
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Ken,

You described exactly what happened to me. Many people who know me said that the MM is the perfect camera for me.

Cal
I'm still not convinced it'll be what you want because you are such a film nut. However, if any digital ever had a chance with you, it is this one. I can't wait to check yours out and maybe even try it out.

Old 12-05-2012   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoshawnuff View Post
No one can say they'll "never" sell it. What happens when the MMM/MM.2 comes out? Or when parts can't be sourced in 8 years?

That said I have seen 3 used for sale thus far (not including those wishing to trade a black for a silver or vis versa)
The MMM. hahaha, good one.

Old 12-05-2012   #19
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

Bought, have used for 2 plus months, wouldn't think of selling it. It's a magnificent tool that extends the capacities of the photographer willing to tackle it. I know that some have been dissatisfied or feel that they can get comparable BW with the M9 (and forthcoming M), but for me, it's one of a kind. My fav digital M to date (and for me to say that is saying a lot, as much as have loved the M9 and the M8 before it)

Old 12-05-2012   #20
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoshawnuff View Post

Nothing will happen. I tend to buy Leica's, not sell them. Except once when I decided two M8s was a bit too much with an M9 in my bag. (And four other digital Leicas in the house

jaapvphotography

Old 12-05-2012   #21
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by photony texas View Post
+++ 1 this camera has exceeded all of my expectations. The way I look at it top of the line one size fits all cameras from the big 2 go for about the same price and they don't have the amazing Leica glass. I get depresses when I can't get out and shoot with it.

Old 12-05-2012   #22
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVCG View Post
I have been contemplating a Leica M Monochrom and was wondering if any of our illustrious members have purchased an MM and gone on to realise it wasn't for them, and if so, WHY????
I have so far read of one person who bought two and sold one of them, on another forum.

G

Old 12-05-2012   #23
xdayv
Color Blind

probably one of the most contemplative purchases I made in recent history hahaha. exceeded my expectations, i thought the D800E was the most exciting part to happen on my bag, the MM is taking over I guess.

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 12-05-2012   #24
borge

I bought one and its a keeper.

Old 12-06-2012   #25
Vince Lupo

I have one coming in hopefully a week or so, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it exceeds the results that I'd been able to get with my M9. I think if anything that's my one concern -- that I'll look at the shots coming from this camera, and conclude that they're no better than what I got with my M9, but hopefully that won't happen!

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/