Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Recommendations for used M4/3 or Nex body
Old 11-27-2012   #1
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Recommendations for used M4/3 or Nex body

I've been pondering selling my G12 for a used interchangeable lens digital body. I very much want to start using my M/LTM lenses for digital. I've heard great things about the GF1 and just found out that the Sony Nex-3 has a larger sensor. I don't really want to spend more than $200 used if I can help it. Are there any significant pros and cons between the two that I should consider? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am open to the Olympus line as well, but I seem to be gravitating between the above two.
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2012   #2
lam
Dave

Cons MFT:
- smaller sensor means your crop factor on M glass will be significantly more, i.e. 2x vs 1.5x of the NEX.

Cons NEX:
- Most bodies still cost more than $200

I found a NEX-C3 at a Local best buy, open box clearance item for a hair under $200.
It has the same sensor as the NEX-5n which is a good ISO performer.
I've got an M adapter coming, and plan to use my Nokton 40 on it for fun..
NEX has added advantage of focus peak as well.

You can hunt evilbay for NEX-C3's they generally fall in the $175-220 range body only with battery/charger, a great entry I think.

Old 11-27-2012   #3
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Thanks Iam. I've seen some Nex 3 bodys only. I could probably get slightly more for my G12, which would help with an adapter. I like the bigger sensor on the Sony.

Old 11-27-2012   #4
batey_1020

I was contemplating doing a similar thing since i sold off all my DSLR a few months back.

I found locally a Olympus EP-2 new in the box with a 14-42 lens for $350 not the best of the cameras but thought it wasnt breaking the budget to test out that format and a digital backup. I plan to use my 35 sumicron on it. Not sure how i will go wothout the view finder.

It turned up yesterday. failry impressed but i must admit i wasn't expecting to much. Will have to wait and see what its like with an adaptor.

Pretty sure they can be cheap on Ebay new.

Edit:
I was looking at the Nex but i have never like the look of them so that put it out of the question. Like the traditional look of the olympus

Leica M4, Bessa R2A, Summicron 50 and 35 f2, Tele Emirate 90 f2.8 and Elmar 5cm.f3.5
Ferrania Falco II vintage Folder

Old 11-27-2012   #5
Pablito
coco frío

I have seen many used NEX bodies on ebay for around $200 or even less. So long as you don't use too wide a lens they work great with Leica lenses. If you go too wide then you have to deal with color shift in the corners.

Old 11-27-2012   #6
kshapero
M3 Snap Shooter

A used NEX-3 with a CV 25mm makes for a nice kit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 11-27-2012   #7
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Yeah , I typically don't like the look of the Sony's, but there small size and large sensor is awfully attractive to me. I 'll leave it up to my Bessa R2 with my new to me Nickel Heliar 50/3.5 for the eye candy and conversation starter. :-). That camera always makes people stop to ask me about it. "Yes, they still sell film." is usually my first answer.
I think putting the 35/2.5 color skopar on a Nex-3 would make for a great compact digital system.

Old 11-28-2012   #8
peter_n
~

I use a NEX-7 and don't particularly like the look of it either but the IQ out of that sensor is amazing. A NEX-3 and a 35 makes for a great walk-around.

My RFF Gallery