Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Sony Fixed Lens Compacts

Sony Fixed Lens Compacts For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

Old 12-02-2012   #26
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
So I manage to get a few larger photos of the damaged parts - what is your opinion? (just click on the photos for large ones)
Looks like water damage to one side of the main board. That indicates more than condensation damage, as that would have been all over the board - there have been a few mm of water inside the camera flowing or creeping in from one edge. But the camera had not been moved to other positions while wet, so it did not happen while on the body or in a handbag. Placed in a beach bag one edge down on the wet swimsuits for a night would explain it.

Old 12-02-2012   #27
kxl
Social Documentary

This ++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Looks like water damage to one side of the main board. That indicates more than condensation damage, as that would have been all over the board - there have been a few mm of water inside the camera flowing or creeping in from one edge. But the camera had not been moved to other positions while wet, so it did not happen while on the body or in a handbag. Placed in a beach bag one edge down on the wet swimsuits for a night would explain it.

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
― Ansel Adams

Old 12-02-2012   #28
maddoc
... likes film.

If the camera was placed close to some spilled drinks (red-wine or similar that contains some acid components) on a table and nobody realized quickly enough, such kind of liquid could have made it`s way into the camera and caused that damage.

Don`t laugh but I managed to spill a few droplets (droplets only !) of something while slurping a raw oyster onto my Gossen Digisix lightmeter. Didn`t realize it until the meter stopped working 10 minutes later. Had to open and clean it however some contacts had been corroded already ...

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 12-02-2012   #29
stompyq

Where did you buy it from??

Old 12-05-2012   #30
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Where did you buy it from??
From online retailer with good reputation, in Germany.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 12-05-2012   #31
jamesj

Should have gone with a toaster...

sorry I had too, that is awful I hope that you are able to get things figured out,

- james

Old 12-06-2012   #32
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj View Post
Should have gone with a toaster...

sorry I had too, that is awful I hope that you are able to get things figured out,

- james
The moral of the story is indeed: "no electronic stuff as present". Although they (both!) really did like the camera.

I will certainly get the things sorted out, the only opened question is how much it is going to cost.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 12-15-2012   #33
Matus

As I did not get a reply from the seller after a week after my last email I contacted directly Sony. I did not get any more positive answer (it was phrased much better and more acceptable though). So I have sent them one of the photos of the damage and made my last appeal in this case, but I do not expect much.

So unless there will not be a miraculous turn to things, I will need your help with ...

... choosing a new camera

Yes - I will get one more camera for my friends, but I am not going to go with another RX100 for obvious reasons (I will not be buying any Sony camera for a while I guess.. )

So - the camera. I am thinking of something in the lines of Nikon V1 or Olympus E-PL3. Either of these with the standard zoom lens. Both of these cameras can be had for slightly over 300 Euro and should offer good performance. The V1 has an EVF, but I am not sure how much of a difference this makes for them. EVF can be added to E-PL3 later after all.

Would you look elsewhere at price of say under 400 Euro? I know there are nice P&S cameras, but I find the bigger sensor hard to beat. I had a look at Canon G1X, but it is much more expensive.

Requirements:
- straight forward to use
- nice JPEG out of camera
- usable ISO1600 (for viewing)
- reasonable video
- stabilization
- good LCD, EVF not a must
- built in panorama or 'fun' modes a plus
- price under 400 Euro (to limit the total expenses somewhat)

Old 12-15-2012   #34
Nescio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
As I did not get a reply from the seller after a week after my last email I contacted directly Sony. I did not get any more positive answer (it was phrased much better and more acceptable though). So I have sent them one of the photos of the damage and made my last appeal in this case, but I do not expect much.

So unless there will not be a miraculous turn to things, I will need your help with ...

... choosing a new camera

Yes - I will get one more camera for my friends, but I am not going to go with another RX100 for obvious reasons (I will not be buying any Sony camera for a while I guess.. )

So - the camera. I am thinking of something in the lines of Nikon V1 or Olympus E-PL3. Either of these with the standard zoom lens. Both of these cameras can be had for slightly over 300 Euro and should offer good performance. The V1 has an EVF, but I am not sure how much of a difference this makes for them. EVF can be added to E-PL3 later after all.

Would you look elsewhere at price of say under 400 Euro? I know there are nice P&S cameras, but I find the bigger sensor hard to beat. I had a look at Canon G1X, but it is much more expensive.

Requirements:
- straight forward to use
- nice JPEG out of camera
- usable ISO1600 (for viewing)
- reasonable video
- stabilization
- good LCD, EVF not a must
- built in panorama or 'fun' modes a plus
- price under 400 Euro (to limit the total expenses somewhat)
Perhaps you should try to look for an older model. I live in Barcelona, which is not exactly the best place to find a bargain, but I've spotted a Nikon Coolpix P7000 (good video with zooming) for as low as 300€, a Canon S95 for 250€ (and S100's should drop in price as the 110 is out already). And that's in brick & mortar shops, so you should be able to get a better deal online. Canon G12's are also still widely available for a lower price now the G15 has come out.
All this in line with the original Sony P&S, as the other alternatives mentioned are more bulky and different kind of beasts.

The bigger sensor of the Sony is the only thing you'll lose (but you win on storage capacity). All the other requirments are met for.

Nescio

PS: the Fuji X10 must be on offer also; if not, it'll be after X-mas for sure.

Old 12-20-2012   #35
Matus

OK, here is the update. I have probably bugged the repair center, the seller and directly SONY enough - I have just got the camera back - not repaired - but at least I did not have to pay those 50 to actually get it back.

While this is better than nothing, it still is a 600 paperweight.

Now the next step - as there is not really much to loose, I will probably give it a try to clean the camera interior myself. I have just seen Iron Man I and Iron Man 2 - this should be peanuts

So - what kind of flux remover should I get for this job?. If anybody has am advice how to proceed I would be grateful.

Old 12-20-2012   #36
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Cleaning will not do the job - you'll have to reconstruct the damaged traces on the PCB (pretty hard to do if the salt ate into the edge of a multilayer PCB), and may have to replace damaged components.

The service would replace the entire board with a new (or factory refurbished) one.

Old 12-20-2012   #37
soelin

Please ask for serial # confirmation. It is also possible that what you're seeing may not be the camera you bought.

Old 12-20-2012   #38
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soelin View Post
Please ask for serial # confirmation. It is also possible that what you're seeing may not be the camera you bought.
This is something I have been thinking about, but unfortunately too late. I only realized that I have never noted the SN before I have sent the camera for a repair. Once the service shop provided me the photos they also photographed the camera from the bottom to show the serial number.

So while I did receive the same camera which was declared to have water/corrosion damage, I am not able to confirm that it is the camera I have sent for repair in the first place. The shipping document (receipt) does not contain information about the serial number.

I really feel dumb here

Old 12-20-2012   #39
ath

What about the receipt when you bought the camera?
For starters here's a ready available flux remover.
Be careful when working on naked electronics - ESD (esp. in dry winter time) can easily kill it.

Old 12-20-2012   #40
bwcolor

I've been through this with a smartphone and I came to the conclusion that the damage was the result of the sea transit. It was just bad luck.

You are a much better person than I am. When I give a gift, if it works upon opening, then it is out of my hands. I don't give gifts with personal warranties.

Old 12-20-2012   #41
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
If you don't mind the postage, send it to me and I'll clean it up for you. No guarantees, but I've cleaned and resurrected plenty of boards that looked worse...I also have an RX100 to use as a reference.
That is very kind of you. I will indeed gladly pay the postage if you are willing to give the camera a shot. If you could PM or email me your postal address the camera could soon be on its way. Should you not succeed, than you will have a few spare parts for your RX100.

Old 12-20-2012   #42
FrozenInTime

IPA ( isopropyl achochol - not the beer ) should work well and is easily available.

Old 03-03-2013   #43
anorphirith

it could be the battery that leaked inside the camera,
if that's not it there is no way you'll get anything out of that camera ....

Old 08-13-2014   #44
Jack Conrad

Wow. I hope your married friend really truly appreciates the trouble and expense you've put into that gift. You are a friend indeed.

Me, I would have given the happy couple a $25 gift certificate to Wallmart and felt good about it.

Old 08-13-2014   #45
JMQ

guys, this thread is 2 1/2 years old....