Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Other Digital Advanced Fixed Lens Compacts

Old 11-14-2012   #26
jsrockit

Jeff, it is clear that he just didn't like the camera on first touch and will not be doing any further review.

Old 11-14-2012   #27
Rangefinderfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
I thought you were running a test??? I was really looking forward to a direct M8 comparison.

Can you check with your supplier at least? The FW release is critical to the AF function of this camera in particular, and would be most relevant in a test.

Anyway, what about the lens(es) on the M8 and the difference in sharpness?
I have the files still: I was using both Voigt 21mm:4 and 35mm 1,4 and samsung , all at 4 speed 400. The M8 files are clearly sharper, but samsung has better color profile and the B&W conversions look better. I tried to use manual focus, but with that resolution of the "finder", no way...
I compared even with my nokia (97) camera phone. Nokia would expose the very moment I pushed the button. samsung over a second delay. As I was thinking samsung as pocket camera, carry around, I think I would have missed every shot. No way...

Old 11-14-2012   #28
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinderfreak View Post
I have the files still: I was using both Voigt 21mm:4 and 35mm 1,4 and samsung , all at 4 speed 400. The M8 files are clearly sharper, but samsung has better color profile and the B&W conversions look better. I tried to use manual focus, but with that resolution of the "finder", no way...
I compared even with my nokia (97) camera phone. Nokia would expose the very moment I pushed the button. samsung over a second delay. As I was thinking samsung as pocket camera, carry around, I think I would have missed every shot. No way...
Samsung???

That explains a lot.

You are in the wrong subforum ... you want to be: HERE.

Old 11-14-2012   #29
jsrockit

Somethings not right here... The M8 is a sharp camera, but these Sigmas are crazy sharp... unless the DP1m is a turd in comparison to the DP2m.

Old 11-14-2012   #30
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Somethings not right here... The M8 is a sharp camera, but these Sigmas are crazy sharp...
I am glad you said that.

Like you (I believe), I also spent a great deal of time with the M8. That is why I was really looking forward to the results.

I know what I think -and that was determined after more than an afternoon of "testing."

That said, the fellow was apparently in the wrong subforum.

Old 11-14-2012   #31
Rangefinderfreak

I have returned the Sigma and asked for another one to test. I also thought there must be something wrong with the camera as the images elsewhere look terrific, the reason I wanted to test it in first place. I didn`t say it but now can reveal 50% of the images were totally out of focus. there must be something loose inside.

Old 11-14-2012   #32
noimmunity
registered niche user

I've been shooting the two side-by-side. Sharp and crazy-sharp seem like good characterizations to me, too.

As for focus, the only problems I've had have come from going past infinity on manual focus (producing out of focus images)

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 11-14-2012   #33
Stefan Wood

I have the dp1m, and will do my best to upload some pics tonight.

Old 11-14-2012   #34
GaryLH

Quote:
I have returned the Sigma and asked for another one to test. I also thought there must be something wrong with the camera as the images elsewhere look terrific, the reason I wanted to test it in first place. I didn`t say it but now can reveal 50% of the images were totally out of focus. there must be something loose inside.
Just to make sure. Are we talking jpg or tiff16 from raw file? Sigma jpgs might be the worst jpg files I have seen..

Dp1m is not as good at the edges as the dp2m. At the center not too far off from the dp2m. don't own any drf m cameras. All I can say is that these two cameras are sharper then any of my current camera if I shoot iso 100-200. By iso 400, not as good, so this maybe why the m8 looks good compared to the sigma. But most definitely, if jpg, then u will not c the difference.

Gary

Gary

Old 11-14-2012   #35
Stefan Wood

Sorry, trying to work within the parameters of the forum....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _SDI0484.jpg (189.1 KB, 17 views)

Old 11-14-2012   #36
Stefan Wood

Another image. Way too small for pixel peepers.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _SDI0487.jpg (191.6 KB, 10 views)

Old 11-14-2012   #37
Stefan Wood

A third one. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-12-11.18.jpg (194.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Stefan Wood : 11-14-2012 at 17:28. Reason: add picture

Old 11-14-2012   #38
Stefan Wood

These are all test shots, I have no illusions as to my ability as a photographer. I am a painter first and foremost, who has fallen in love with photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-12-11.32.jpg (176.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-15-2012   #39
Rangefinderfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Just to make sure. Are we talking jpg or tiff16 from raw file? Sigma jpgs might be the worst jpg files I have seen..

Dp1m is not as good at the edges as the dp2m. At the center not too far off from the dp2m. don't own any drf m cameras. All I can say is that these two cameras are sharper then any of my current camera if I shoot iso 100-200. By iso 400, not as good, so this maybe why the m8 looks good compared to the sigma. But most definitely, if jpg, then u will not c the difference.

Gary

Gary
JPG`s. I didn`t bother to load the disc to have the RAW converted, as I realized instantly that I didn`t like what I was getting. I try to do a more decent work when I have another one in my hands. Besies, if you have a chance: Look at Nokia Lumia with their "true view". I think I actually don`t need a "toy camera" The "M" and Lumia will be all, with My hassy/CFV
for Studio work.

Old 11-15-2012   #40
burancap

Quote:
JPG`s. I didn`t bother to load the disc to have the RAW converted, as I realized instantly that I didn`t like what I was getting.
Then this was not a "test."

Quote:
I try to do a more decent work when I have another one in my hands ... I think I actually don`t need a "toy camera"
Nothing personal, but I would not bother. Do not waste your time. There appears to be little, if any, impartiality present.

Old 11-15-2012   #41
jsrockit

I'll continue to use my toy camera to make my insignificant little photos...

Old 11-15-2012   #42
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Wood View Post
Sorry, trying to work within the parameters of the forum....
thanks for the photos, though a little larger might be better to see the detail this camera captures

HU-B&H special
Old 11-23-2012   #43
nlubis

HU-B&H special

Hi guys. Have been dreaming the Sigma DP1M for a while now, or maybe the DP2M .

B&H has them for -$150 until the 27th.

Old 11-23-2012   #44
jsrockit

Thanks for the head's up nlubis.

Old 11-25-2012   #45
loplop

Just a quick note: you MUST shoot RAW and process via SPP with these cameras. The JPEGs are indeed fairly soft and lacking in DR. A properly functioning DP1M will be quite noticeably sharper than a M8. It's also a fair sight sharper than my XPro. Of course, rendering is a little different, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there. Sharpness isn't everything.

In any case... I've had my DP1M for a bit now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't find focus to be too bad; in decent light it's quite good, in poor light it can hunt but the MF implementation is so much better than my XPro I don't care. Magnify in MF with a touch of a button and on half-press you get the full view of the frame to compose. Brilliant.

The camera in operation is quite fluid, and although it takes FOREVER to view a photo you just shot (you can keep shooting while it writes, just not view), the AF is far more accurate than my XPro so I don't feel the need to chimp. Shoot it like film.

I personally find the files beautiful, very much like slide film.

The negative is its very much like slide film!

I really love 28mm so I started with the DP1M, but I love the output so much I grabbed a DP2M at B&H's sale to put under the Christmas tree. I foresee using them quite like my XPro with the 28/50 duo.

Here's my shots so far on my Flickr. I haven't had time yet to take it into its natural element, but so far I've enjoyed it just for daily life photography.

Stalls
Old 11-30-2012   #46
nlubis

Stalls

I just got my DP1M. I think it might be defective.
The first sign was, I turn on the camera with the new out of the box battery. It turned on, with a low battery notice (to be expected), but I couldn't turn it off again.

Second, after the battery was charged, i formated a card, and proceeded to the process of upgrading the firmware. Smooth. But after that, when i tried to format the card again, it stalled.

Third, this morning, was excited to take my first photo, and after I hit the shutter, the display was on (blank with all the info) - so was the red light and I waited for about 4 minutes nothing happens. And to my understanding I could keep taking pictures while the camera writes the previous ones. Granted I'm using a slower card (Sandisk Extreme II).

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2012   #47
jsrockit

I would call Sigma one this one... my DP2m never did any of those things. I am using a very fast card though. Did you try a different card?

Old 11-30-2012   #48
nlubis

I've just tried it with a different card (Lexar Ultra). It seems to work now. Hope that's about it. Thanks.