Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

View Poll Results: Well?
Olympus OMD 54 21.34%
Fuji XE1 90 35.57%
Something else 50 19.76%
I stuck to film, screw digital 59 23.32%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

If you could do it all over again...X-E1 or OMD
Old 10-30-2012   #1
Avotius
Monster Rancher

If you could do it all over again...X-E1 or OMD

GAS aside (is it ever for us?) if you had to buy your CSC, EVIL, mirrorless, or whatever you want to call it all over again with what we have today what would you do?

I am keeping the poll options to what seem to be the two most "popular" cameras right now, but feel free to ring in with something else!

Old 10-30-2012   #2
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

I already have. The X-E1, and lovin it. Will still do film, and loads of it. But may consider giving up 135, and just shooting 120 and bigger.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 10-30-2012   #3
Avotius
Monster Rancher

I for one am coming off a well used Olympus EP1. I only have two lenses, the old kit zoom and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (which I love) though I have access to the Panasonic 7-14 and 45-200 both of which I love as well. But my joy is with the prime and thats what lives on my camera. The EP1 is really showing its age though, the image quality compared to what's out there now...sucks. I never want to look at images at 100% because I always feel disappointed.

If I had to upgrade I would be thinking of an Olympus OMD or Fuji XE1. I love the Olympus for its in body stabilization which I might find hard to live without now. Though I don't miss it with the Leica M9. Since I only really have one lens that I use with m43 staying in system is not a biggy, though I do sometimes like to use my adapted lenses, especially my old Exakta Carl Zeiss 50mm f2 Pancolar. Still, buying a new set of adapters is no biggy either. That Fuji is tempting. Its basically the same sort of set up as the Olympus body wise to me, minus some of the Oly's perks, but bringing some of its own. I feel the Oly seems a little small in my hands too, the Fuji's RF style design is more ergonomic for me (assuming it's similar to the X100 which I hear it is).

If I had to choose now I would have a hard time. Locally the OMD is a whole $350 US more expensive than the Fuji, which is about right at its normal $1000 price point. Thats a big difference, but then I have a lens for the Old and would need to get one for the Fuji. Still, the Fuji is something new and interesting......

Old 10-30-2012   #4
willie_901

I own the XP-1, so the XE-1 would be my choice.

The OMD is a fine system. I never considered it because the sensor is to small for my goals. Others have different goals, so the OMD is an excellent choice for them. The sealed construction and stabilization are very useful. The quick AF and articulated screen is also very useful.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 10-30-2012   #5
Nicolai

The OM-D and the X-E1 are two cameras I am considering buying.

I can't really deside which one.

RFF gallery

Flickr

Old 10-30-2012   #6
maitani

shoot film, shoot film, get an M9 when you have saved enough imo, all the rest is a disrtraction and waste of time imo, to answer the question honestly

Old 10-30-2012   #7
CaptZoom

M9 doesn't provide weather sealing which alone makes the Oly appealing. The image stabilization is the cherry on top.
I use the M9 exclusively, and it sucks when I can't take it out because of questionable weather. I've been seriously considering adding the Oly. I probably will when the next model comes out and this one can be had at a much lower price. I have my primary camera, so I can afford to wait. If I was in the market for a new body today, the Oly would be at the top of my short list.

Old 10-30-2012   #8
DtheG

I don't think the electronic viewfinder is quite good enough alone yet, so I'll stick to the X100 and think about a XPro-1 for a while yet

Old 10-30-2012   #9
david.elliott

OMD for me. I greatly prefer it for the majority of my work, which is macro stuff.

Old 10-30-2012   #10
jsrockit

I use the xpro1 and x100 and would buy them again despite the newer cameras. I hated the omd.

Old 10-30-2012   #11
gavinlg

X-pro1 for me. I've settled on one as my digital. For anything where I need more IQ I'll use medium format film. Ergonomics are perfect, lenses are great, and the larger sensor is nicer than the m4/3 sized chip.

The OVF in the x-pro1 makes the whole thing work so well. The XE1 may have a better EVF, but to be honest the unit in the x-pro1 is easily good enough for my uses. Even in low light. Even in fast street settings. Very impressed.

Old 10-30-2012   #12
Lss

As long as we are talking about the EVIL cameras, then I would probably stick with the OM-D (or Panasonic GH series for the video performance). It's quite simply the most complete package. Sony NEX is good, but I just don't like the system very much. Fuji would get more interesting if there was Aperture support.

Old 10-30-2012   #13
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I use the xpro1 and x100 and would buy them again despite the newer cameras. I hated the omd.

Damn ... did it cheat on you or drown your puppy, or something like that?

Old 10-30-2012   #14
steveniphoto

i picked the obvious, more superior option.. film
but if i did have to choose i would go for the OMD. i love olympus and they have never let me down. i used to own the X100 and although the output of the camera was the best ive seen for a compact APS-C camera, it was too quirky. ive heard the X Pro 1 was kind of finicky too so i am staying clear of Fuji digital for a little bit.

Old 10-30-2012   #15
RAK

NEX-7. The OMD has a much smaller sensor and the Fujis are quirky. Some may like the lens selection on the Fuji better but the 24mm Zeiss is just perfect and the only lens i need.

Old 10-31-2012   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
Damn ... did it cheat on you or drown your puppy, or something like that?
No, why are you so hurt by the fact that I hated a camera? The way a camera feels in your hand is important if you are going to use it everyday. It felt like a tv remote control to me.

Old 10-31-2012   #17
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
No, why are you so hurt by the fact that I hated a camera? The way a camera feels in your hand is important if you are going to use it everyday. It felt like a tv remote control to me.

I've had cameras that were dogs but I never hated them.

I wasn't hurt personally ... just puzzled by the use of such a strong term for a consumer product that ultimately didn't suit you.

Old 10-31-2012   #18
Archiver

If I had to do it all again, which mirrorless system would I buy? As owner of the M-system, OM-D and Ricoh GXR system, this isn't the easiest question. I would still own all three. With adapter/module, Leica lenses can be used on both the OM-D and GXR.

The OM-D is the camera I use in spotty weather, and for when I want an all-in-one camera with zoom and HD video. I was in the market for the X-Pro 1 but immediately jumped for the OM-D when I experienced the features like touchscreen shooting, super fast and silent focus, and the full HD video which is miles ahead of the Fuji cams. The X cams can produce amazing images but there are times when I really want a camera I can use when weather is bad, or when I want to take decent video.

Old 10-31-2012   #19
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
If I had to do it all again, which mirrorless system would I buy? As owner of the M-system, OM-D and Ricoh GXR system, this isn't the easiest question. I would still own all three. With adapter/module, Leica lenses can be used on both the OM-D and GXR.
I`ve been thinking of exactly the same set up.
I currently have two M bodies and a GRD but want something to take my SLR lenses to use for outdoor sport type events in the English winter.
Going to have to check out that "feel" factor though `cause I agree with JS ...it is important.

Old 10-31-2012   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
I've had cameras that were dogs but I never hated them.

I wasn't hurt personally ... just puzzled by the use of such a strong term for a consumer product that ultimately didn't suit you.
No problem. I don't have a problem using the the word for an inanimate object. However, I'd feel the same way as you if it was a person. True, hate is too strong for this camera. It's actually quite good, just not for my needs.

Old 10-31-2012   #21
Avotius
Monster Rancher

You know.... I think what I really want is an Xpro1 but in the XE1's size. Dont say its not possible because the X100 still has a nice optical viewfinder and we should hope that Fuji is in for the long run on this system. I think it will happen eventually.

Old 10-31-2012   #22
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I own the XP-1, so the XE-1 would be my choice.

The OMD is a fine system. I never considered it because the sensor is to small for my goals. Others have different goals, so the OMD is an excellent choice for them. The sealed construction and stabilization are very useful. The quick AF and articulated screen is also very useful.
I went with the Fuji system for a variety of reasons, but this is a weak argument. The difference in sensor size between APS-C and 4/3 is ~23%. That is not enough of a difference to be operationally meaningful.

The past differences between m4/3 sensors and APS-C had more to do with Panasonic lagging Sony a bit in sensor tech. Now that Olympus is using a Sony sensor in the OM-D, the difference in sensor performance is pretty much nulled.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 10-31-2012   #23
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
I went with the Fuji system for a variety of reasons, but this is a weak argument. The difference in sensor size between APS-C and 4/3 is ~23%. That is not enough of a difference to be operationally meaningful.

The past differences between m4/3 sensors and APS-C had more to do with Panasonic lagging Sony a bit in sensor tech. Now that Olympus is using a Sony sensor in the OM-D, the difference in sensor performance is pretty much nulled.
I completely disagree with you.

Looking at the raw image ISO 1600 comparisons on DPREVIEW, there is a difference.

The sensor surface area is the most significant factor that determines performance for similar implimentations of sensor technology. The OM-D sensor area is 224.9 mm^2 compared to 368.16 mm^2 for the XP-1. The m4/3 area is 61% of the Fuji's area. The OM-D collects 39% less data which is a non-trivial handicap. I agree the OM-D does very well compared to previous m 4/3 cameras. It's not competitive for me.

I stated in my first post the difference was important to me and not important for others. I really don't care what other people buy or why they buy it. But the physics of light digitization is relevant to image quality.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 10-31-2012   #24
heed

OM-D.

Fuji system is too quirky and no IS or weathersealing.

I've tried multiple systems and the IQ argument is very weak. There is always a larger format and better performance, but most of the APS-C options and OM-D are neck-and-neck IMHO.

I have no problem with film except I can't buy it or process it where I live. I still love using my film bodies though.

I didn't want to like the OM-D at first but in the end there were too few arguments against it. Now, IMHO it seems like many of those who choose against the OM-D do so because of an anti-establishment bent or desire to be 'better' than those who went with the OM-D.

Old 10-31-2012   #25
heed

PS- I would love to try an M9, MM, or new M if someone wants to loan me one.