Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

My old family Contarex
Old 10-22-2012   #1
Falk65

My old family Contarex

found this one in my old fathers house i have test it and it works perfectly

six lenses and all kind of stuff filters etc

Zeiss Contarex System by Gummi Falk, on Flickr

Zeiss 85mm f2.0 by Gummi Falk, on Flickr

Zeiss 50mm f2.0 and 85mm f2.0 by Gummi Falk, on Flickr

lenses are

Zeiss Biogon f4.5 21mm

Zeiss Distagon f4.0 35mm

Zeiss Planar f2.0 50mm

Zeiss Sonnar f2.0 85mm

Zeiss Sonnar f4.0 135mm

Zeiss Sonnar f4.0 250 mm

Wondering what i can do with it is it Value for something if i sell it as a whole set or more if i sell each lens and the body separated

Old 10-22-2012   #2
Vics

Make photos with it?

My Flickr

Old 10-22-2012   #3
Falk65

no i would like to sell it i do not like the FILM

Old 10-22-2012   #4
Pickett Wilson

Wow. What a nice kit!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...0&ppuser=28005

Old 10-22-2012   #5
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk65 View Post
no i would like to sell it i do not like the FILM
which one?

seriously. If you sell it, it is gone. Forever.

Such a complete set in its box are somewhat rare, but not super valuable.

Shoot a few rolls of film, buy a cheap but nice Plustek 8200i scanner and see for your self. I sold my D700 a year after starting to shoot film.

Old 10-22-2012   #6
f16sunshine
Your Momma !

Cyclops with all lenses.... worth quite a bit.
Do your homework well on this one.
Personally.... unless you need the funds I would wait before selling this. It will be worth more as time goes by.

Old 10-22-2012   #7
oftheherd

Generally, when you have a camera and 2 or 3 lenses, you should be able to get more by selling them piecemeal. However, you have something a little unique. As has been said, you need to need to do a lot of research on this since it is a pretty complete kit. You would probably get the best price by offering it for sale as a kit. But you might have to wait some time for the right buyer. All that said, I can't give you any idea what this might be worth.

Also as has been said, I would really encourage you to try this camera out, along with its great lenses. If after 5 to 8 rolls you don't like film, or this camera, then you can feel comfortable selling it or giving it to another relative. But as said, once it is gone, it is gone.

Do you have any idea what your father used this for? Does it have no sentimental value to you or anyone else in your family?

Old 10-22-2012   #8
Falk65

His father my grandfather buy it in Copenhagen Denmark 1965 and it has not been used since 1967 maybe few shots but sits all the time in the Closed

And no i am the only one who own it today and i would like to get a high end DSLR like EOS 5D Mark III instead of film Camera

Old 10-22-2012   #9
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Wow -- what a great set! DO NOT sell it (at least, not without researching its value carefully) and I'd also say you should not break the set up at all. What a great find.

Old 10-22-2012   #10
NeeZee

As others said the completeness of the kit might have some value on its own.
From a short look at http://collectiblend.com/ assuming camera/lenses are A-B condition, one can roughly calculate:

camera: $600
21mm: $1000
35mm: $200
50mm: $200
85mm: $200
135mm: $100
250mm: $500

dunno about hoods, filters etc.

these prices are from camera auctions. on ebay you would probably get less in some cases (or sometimes more). Well, this is by no means accurate but at least it looks like funding your new DSLR is not impossible

Old 10-22-2012   #11
NeeZee

and by the way, I find the "don't sell it!" thing pretty ignorant as the OP clearly stated he's not into film photography and why shouldn't he sell it then?

i mean, i only shoot film and love old film cameras, so i would definitely keep it. on the other hand, if i'd happen to inherit a valuable watch, piece of furniture or whatever else i don't care for, i'd sell it too while other people who care for that kind of stuff wouldn't...

Old 10-22-2012   #12
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeZee View Post
and by the way, I find the "don't sell it!" thing pretty ignorant as the OP clearly stated he's not into film photography and why shouldn't he sell it then?

i mean, i only shoot film and love old film cameras, so i would definitely keep it. on the other hand, if i'd happen to inherit a valuable watch, piece of furniture or whatever else i don't care for, i'd sell it too while other people who care for that kind of stuff wouldn't...
Lets notch it down a bit, okay? Instead of "ignorant" why not just disagree with the other person's opinion? Let's be civil here.

Old 10-22-2012   #13
NeeZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Lets notch it down a bit, okay? Instead of "ignorant" why not just disagree with the other person's opinion? Let's be civil here.
you're right, 'ignorant' wasn't the right term - sorry.

i just don't get the tendency of talking someone out of selling something they clearly don't use or plan to use - happens in many of these 'how much is it worth' threads.

Old 10-22-2012   #14
FrankS

No worries. Your post on individual prices was very helpful.

Sometimes people don't realize what they have.

Old 10-22-2012   #15
Richard G

I have a magnificent chess set that was originally on sale for thousands, reappeared in the deluxe department store window every couple of years and eventually it sold, to me, for $1600. I have used it a couple of times, but I am hanging on to it for the next world chess storm a la Fisher-Spassky. Then I will sell it.

Old 10-22-2012   #16
NeeZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I have a magnificent chess set that was originally on sale for thousands, reappeared in the deluxe department store window every couple of years and eventually it sold, to me, for $1600. I have used it a couple of times, but I am hanging on to it for the next world chess storm a la Fisher-Spassky. Then I will sell it.
if you are that patient, it probably just means you don't need the money at the moment

Old 10-22-2012   #17
Archlich

It would be painful to see these works of art turn into a digital camera that rots away every minute.

Old 10-22-2012   #18
mfogiel

You mean, you would like to buy some disposable electronic contraption in exchange for a REAL camera, and a CONTAREX to boot?
It's like hearing somebody would like to get rid of his golden rings, to buy the plastic ones, BECAUSE THEY ARE TRENDY....
Think about it, if you really feel the urge to do digital photography, you can always use the phone, or the cameras they put as a bonus in an odd bag of peanuts...
You should probably begin by buying this book:
http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00aXRX
Also, this particular shop in Milan is very knowledgeable about these cameras, maybe they would be of some help:
http://www.newoldcamera.com/index.aspx
Contarex line of lenses, has been the precursor of the Hasselblad line - a unique and consistent standard of lens designs, with similar pictorial qualities across all focal lengths.
http://www.imx.nl/photo/zeiss/zeiss/page67.html

Old 10-22-2012   #19
lam
Dave

*scratches head* OH that's where ZM lenses get their focus bump from..

GLWS. However much you sell it for, should get you a 5D MKIII easily.

Old 10-22-2012   #20
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Sell it...sell it all...maybe try to sell it as a complete kit...give the guy who really wants the whole thing a chance to buy it first...price it on the high side and if someone really wants it they'll come up with the funds...if that doesn't work out then piece it out...
It sounds like you have NO emotional attachment to the equipment and you want something else other than a film camera...get something you'll use a be happy with that...
pf

Old 10-22-2012   #21
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Exactly. By all means, get the equipment into the hands of someone who wants it -- but make sure you know its value when selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
No worries. Your post on individual prices was very helpful.

Sometimes people don't realize what they have.

Contarex
Old 10-22-2012   #22
enasniearth

Contarex

You have a complete kit with the deluxe carrying case and every accessory that goes with it , and it appears to be in mint condition .
It is probably high end auction house sale material .
I have never gone this route however it is unlikely you will receive
A better price splitting it .
The complete kit has insane value to a true collector , haveing written that ,
The auction house is probably the only way to find that collector .
They take a hefty cut and it may not sell .
The world economy is pretty bad right now , but as always the super rich are ok .
Considering it is a family item and has to be split , well no one can afford to keep it .
Or possibly consignment at a high end venue like Leica shop or a specialty camera shop
.dealers like to pay 50% or less for items , most quotes are about 40% or less .

Old 10-22-2012   #23
MarylandBill

It occurs to me that if you have tested it, then you have actually shot at least one roll of film with it and made at least a few shots with every lens. As much as some might wish otherwise, my guess is that if that didn't intrigue you enough to continue, then a dozen other rolls won't either. Just out of curiosity's sake, I would love it if you posted a few of the pictures.

Of course, if you just checked to see if the shutter opened and the light meter appeared to work, well, you might want to shoot a roll just to be sure. Still this is an amazing find. Might be even more significant than finding a NOS Leica M3 with a full set of lenses... well maybe not (at least not on RFF ).

Anyway, good luck. I know personally I would have a hard time selling something owned by my grandfather... but that is just me (and maybe do to having never knew either of my grandfathers.).

--
Bill

Old 10-22-2012   #24
Falk65

thank you for your answers i have an two other Camera that i will keep is Leica zero series 90 year old from my Grandfather i know she is a Value for big amount but will keep it for later in a Bank

Anyone here which can help advise me to some good auction houses

Old 10-22-2012   #25
rawhead

That is something else. Drool.

You will make a killing selling it. I think piece-meal is the way to go if you really want to make more money. Personally, I'd love it if you could sell it as a kit to somebody who would really cherish it as the treasure that it is. But that'd probably end up as a collection and not get used, so I dunno what the best course of action is.

In the past I purchased a Contarex Super kit which was in, generally, an acceptable~fair condition. 50mm had separation, 35mm had some light fungus, 135 had lotta scuffs, etc. Still the whole thing sold for like $2300 total. Hardcore collectors are often after that one item missing from their collection, so they'll really go out of their way to get what they want. It'd be harder to get those top prices for each item when sold as a set.

E.g., the bellows sold for $180. Two hoods (scuffed) sold for $130. Set of filters and a replacement focus screen sold for $470. You get the drift.