Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

View Poll Results: The ME is ugly.
Strongly disagree 108 26.93%
Disagree 114 28.43%
Agree 116 28.93%
Strongly agree 63 15.71%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012   #151
Marc G.
film loving student

taking mine home on saturday can't wait to do the first exposure!

strongly disagree, beautiful camera

Old 12-05-2012   #152
menthel
Not very good...

Saw one in the flesh the other day and they are very nice indeed, the colour is unusual but looks good.

Old 12-09-2012   #153
macfiend

I don't think its ugly or I wouldn't have purchased one.

Old 12-10-2012   #154
jtm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavoAvila View Post
Voted ugly - for $5,500 I would expect a choice of colors!
What would you expect for $8,000?

Old 12-10-2012   #155
alphonse2501

Disagree, and it needs IIIc K outfits.

Old 12-11-2012   #156
colonel

The M-E is a beautiful fresh approach to M design
I like the gun metal colour and lack of frameline selector so much I have swapped my M9 for an M-E (cash difference of course, but i see that as giving me two years more warranty!)

Perhaps the ugly votes are M9 owners protecting their investment?

Old 01-04-2013   #157
ktmrider

I just ordered an ME so I obviously don't think it is ugly. Have both silver and black lenses so looking forward to seeing how the new finish looks with both types. Won't have trouble distinguishing it from my chrome M2.

Old 10-30-2013   #158
noimmunity
registered niche user

Looks good with either chrome or black lenses.

M-E005 by areality4all, on Flickr

M-E001 by areality4all, on Flickr

The one I got was listed "display model" and came with 96 actuations from the dealer--less, if I remember correctly, than what my new M8 came with. Save big, buy at the end of a cycle. Get the peace of mind of the full warranty and all the bugs ironed out. Definitely not ugly!

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 10-30-2013   #159
noimmunity
registered niche user

Here it is with a full black strap.

M-E with chrome lens by areality4all, on Flickr

M-E with black lens by areality4all, on Flickr

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 10-30-2013   #160
Rodchenko
Olympian

The M-E is no more ugly than the other Leica digital Ms. And it's likely to be the best chance I will have of owning a digital rangefinder.

I still wish that there was a digital ZM.

Old 10-30-2013   #161
noisycheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
It's ugly in the way that Leica wants to be sure you understand you're paying a penalty for not ponying up the dough for 'the big boy.'

Same thing afflicts the Canon 5D series. It's in use by a lot of pros, but it still has that Idiot Dial like the cheap bodies. You'd think paying $2500 for a camera would entitle you to better aesthetics and a bit of self-esteem. But, no.
I would have to agree. With the exception of the hot shoe, sticking silver dials and other parts onto an otherwise black (or in the case of the ME charcoal gray and black) camera serves no purpose other than to make it hairy buffalo butt ugly. JMHO and others may not see it that way, but whatever.

There is only one digital M that catches my eye: The M Monochrom. But $7950 USD?? LMAO! I could spend six months traveling the globe and making images with my M4-P for that level of expenditure.

Old 10-30-2013   #162
alan davus

The M-E ugly??....No way, it's the most gorgeous camera I've bought since acquiring a new M6ttl some years ago. Paid A$5495 for mine brand new from my local dealer here in Adelaide with the full 2 year warranty. When the M9 came out 4 odd years ago, most retailers here in Oz were selling them for A$11000 bucks.... ("the thieving a...holes") when the international price was US$6995. So I'm more than happy with the colour and the wait. I have no lust for the M lovely camera I'm sure it is. Wake me up in about 10 years and I'll see what's new on the market.

Old 10-31-2013   #163
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan davus View Post
The M-E ugly??....No way, it's the most gorgeous camera I've bought since acquiring a new M6ttl some years ago. Paid A$5495 for mine brand new from my local dealer here in Adelaide with the full 2 year warranty. When the M9 came out 4 odd years ago, most retailers here in Oz were selling them for A$11000 bucks.... ("the thieving a...holes") when the international price was US$6995. So I'm more than happy with the colour and the wait. I have no lust for the M lovely camera I'm sure it is. Wake me up in about 10 years and I'll see what's new on the market.
Great story!

Alan, have you taken the M-E backpacking with you?

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

flickr
Flickr

Old 10-31-2013   #164
Fraser

Seems a lot of people like them so can't be that ugly, would I swap my M9 for one no, not for me I have always liked black cameras so maybe I biased

Old 10-31-2013   #165
alan davus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
Great story!

Alan, have you taken the M-E backpacking with you?
Jon, one of the conditions placed on me by my wife on buying the M-E is that it isn't allowed to cross the Tasman to NZ each summer. She knows better than anyone how it broke my heart when I destroyed the M6ttl crossing Six Mile Creek a few years ago. To be quite honest I'm more than happy taking a little Fuji X10 these days rather than a Leica with 2-3 lenses. At 61 and heading out into the Kiwi mountains for 10 to 12 days, I just want to lug the bare minimum...... Cheers, Alan

Old 10-31-2013   #166
noimmunity
registered niche user

Ouch! The loss of that M6 must have hurt.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing for my multiday mountain outings, too Alan. Finding that a single Sigma DP2M does what I need at a lower weight (which is really my main priority).

The M-E happens to be very nice for shorter jaunts like day hikes, etc.

(BTW, I'm a bona fide ultralighter in the backpacking world; I guess you must be one, too).

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

flickr
Flickr

Old 10-31-2013   #167
alan davus

Spot on Jon. Take absolutely everything thats necessary and absolutely nothing else.