Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Need to Try
Old 09-30-2012   #1
gilpen123
Gil

Need to Try

The X1 intrigued me for some time if not for the absence of an EVF, I might have bought it. Seen many sample pictures of it and it rocks in as far as color rendering and IMO it has a character of it's own much like the flim Ms. Now the X2 has been out for a few months and I've planned to get it just waiting for more user feedback . Had the X100, it's a good travel companion specially with the 1.3 firmware but sold it expecting an X200 which obviously will not happen this year. I was thinking of getting the X100 black version as well as I've seen new price dropped already and some used ones coming out at 1.1-1.2K.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 09-30-2012   #2
willie_901

Since you mentioned a X100 repurchase was under consideration... Have you thought about the XE-1? The body with two prime lenses would be about the same price as a new X2. There is an all black version. The body is just a bit bigger than the X10o. Some of the XF lenses are long compared to the X100, but there are pancake lenses. The 18 mm lens is available now and a 27 mm is announced for next year.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 09-30-2012   #3
Teuthida
-

You sold your x100 expecting an x200?

Old 09-30-2012   #4
jky

The X2 is my rollei 35.

Sure there are a few things that annoy me about it (shot to shot time/fairly long blackout & archaic LCD for instance), but I enjoy using it in much the same way I enjoyed my R35. That to me is *gulp* worth it.

Jc

Old 10-01-2012   #5
gilpen123
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
You sold your x100 expecting an x200?

Actually yes and no. If there's no X200 then the X2 will more than fit the bill.

Old 10-01-2012   #6
gilpen123
Gil

I have some fast Leica lenses but not for mirrorless use, it's for my M6 and hoping in the future (HOPING) the M9M when used ones will be in the market. That's maybe 2 years down the road. Never sell Leica Lenses, that is the norm, unless you really want to move out of RF.

Old 10-01-2012   #7
gilpen123
Gil

It's some form of disease which unfortunately many suffers from. Sad to say I am sick as well.

Old 10-01-2012   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
I will never understand why people buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell...if I buy something, I usually keep it forever as I intend to do with this excellent picture-taking machine.
Two different types of people Dave. Neither is wrong. Some of us just like to try new cameras because it is fun. Even though we have our go to camera, it's nice to experiment. Some experiments fail, some don't.

Old 10-01-2012   #9
threeputt
Clueless Leica Newb

I have an X2 and am VERY happy with it. Granted it doesn't have DSLR speed shot-to-shot, and the LCD sux, but the photos it produces are amazing for a camera with such a small form factor. I think the biggest thing for me is that the images definitely have that "look" that Leica shooters love. No the lens is not the fastest on the block, but the IQ and the ISO performance more than makes up for it in my book.

Above all else is the handling. I like the way it feels in my hand, the dials on top, and the simple but effective menu interface. I wouldn't change a thing about the ergonomics. It is a perfect compliment to my M3, and the times I carry just the X2, I don't feel unprepared or wishing that I had more/different equipment.

Jeff

Old 10-01-2012   #10
gilpen123
Gil

Are you using the EVF? I have the Oly one from an EP2 and is still with me. Glad I didn't sell it.

Old 10-01-2012   #11
threeputt
Clueless Leica Newb

Yes Gil I have the EVF and the OVF as well. The EVF is really nice to have but it won't fit in a pocket that way. I normally keep it attached along with the kiwi tube anyway, so I carry it on a shoulder strap. I really like using filters. If I'm going out for anything other than shooting, I'll strip it down and pocket it. It carries well.

Sometimes when the X2 is on my shoulder and I'm walking around looking for photos, I'll "pre-frame" with the ovf in my hand before I raise the camera with EVF to my eye. Helps me to visualize composition beforehand. Handy in street shooting situations when I don't want to turn heads. Maybe I get some strange looks, I don't know, but at least they don't think I'm taking their picture

Jeff

Old 11-20-2012   #12
gilpen123
Gil

Thanks Jeff, I'll pick up mine tomorrow (finally).

Old 11-21-2012   #13
gilpen123
Gil

Got it and all I can say is wow, never thought it's this compact and the Oly EVF works well. The street strap is slightly smaller in thickness and softer than my lance straps IMO the street strap is better, the grip also helps holding the camera steady.

Old 11-21-2012   #14
Pablito
coco frío

Is the Olympus EVF 100% compatible?

Old 11-21-2012   #15
jky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Is the Olympus EVF 100% compatible?
Yes it is.
Big $ savings compared to the L brand.