Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

My shoe doesn't fit!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2005   #1
Keykey

My shoe doesn't fit!!!!!!!

Hi everybody,

I have a Leitz universal viewfinder which fits tight on my Zorki 4.

Yesterday, I received a Zorki 1 body and found that the viewfinder's stand was too big to fit in the shoe of this Zorki. It's an export type of Zorki 1. The stand is at least 0.2cm too wide.

Is that right?? Am I just scammed?

Thanks.....

Old 10-20-2005   #2
laptoprob
back to basics

Welcome to the wonderful world of (un)standardization!

Rob

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

IR and concert pics

Old 10-20-2005   #3
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

Who cares about the world if my shoes are too small.
(Or stg like this, John Lennon)

Old 10-20-2005   #4
Brian Sweeney

That is what files are for. Every time I get Russian Lens for my Nikon RF's, out comes the file. They fit on the Contax; Contax fits on the Nikon; but the Russian Jupiter's and Helios-103 are too tight and require some filing. Locking pin: file down. Mount Flange: File Down. Locking clamp: file down. Mount Collar: File Down.

Old 10-20-2005   #5
Nickfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keykey
I have a Leitz universal viewfinder which fits tight on my Zorki 4.

Yesterday, I received a Zorki 1 body and found that the viewfinder's stand was too big to fit in the shoe of this Zorki. It's an export type of Zorki 1. The stand is at least 0.2cm too wide.

Is that right?? Am I just scammed?
I doubt you have been scammed but 2mm seems a hell of a lot. It may be down to some slacko manufacturing. Maybe they are all like that. Other Z-1 owners on this forum ought to be able to give you better advice than to attack the finder with a file. I think the first thing to do is find out where the real problem is. You ought to measure the inside of the shoe. FWIW here are some dimensions that may be of interest:

Zorki-6 shoe 19.4mm
FED-1 shoe 19.0mm
KMZ finder foot 18.7mm
Starblitz flash foot 18.3mm

I assume the width of the finder foot and the Zorki-4 shoe are around these specs?!?

If your shoe is way off these measurements, you may find it better to replace it with one from a dead camera, perhaps from a later model if the bolt pattern is OK. If the finder is a proper fit in the Zorki-4, filing it down is a pretty dumb idea.

Last edited by Nickfed : 10-20-2005 at 09:36.

Old 10-20-2005   #6
Kin Lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney
That is what files are for. Every time I get Russian Lens for my Nikon RF's, out comes the file. They fit on the Contax; Contax fits on the Nikon; but the Russian Jupiter's and Helios-103 are too tight and require some filing. Locking pin: file down. Mount Flange: File Down. Locking clamp: file down. Mount Collar: File Down.
Funny that you mention that. All my lenses mount just fine on 2 of my Kiev's, but one is always _very_ snug. I think I'd rather file down the camera mount rather than the lense itself.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 10-20-2005   #7
hugivza

Rummaging around in the discard bins of my local camera shop for a lens cover to fit over the 41.5 mm lens hood recently acquired from Heavystar (it's easier than loosing the original cap - on the Kiev), I came across a small albada finder, which is very bright and has frame lines for 35mm and 135mm, as checked against my turret finder. I found two finders which together with two lens caps cost less than $US10. They seem to work well with the 35mm lens and are brighter than the turret. They apparently came with a wide angle/telephoto standard lens add on kit popular for SLR's about 20 years ago. They may be rarer than hens' teeth, but who knows they are a cheap and effective alternate to a turret and have a smaller profile.

Last edited by hugivza : 10-20-2005 at 16:58.

Old 10-20-2005   #8
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

A shoe not fitting is of no matter unless it's after midnight.

Trius

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 10-20-2005   #9
hugivza

A shoe not fitting is of no matter unless it's after midnight.

Trius

Is that waiting for the other shoe to drop?!! I think that my earlier post is OT this thread. Apologies - I filed it in the wrong area. Incidentally, on the subject of filing or not, I have found on the J3 lens that gently easing out the three spring clips on the lens barrel helps to reduce the slack and enable a tighter fit to be achieved.

Old 10-20-2005   #10
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

No apologies needed ... it was my feeble attempt at glib humour, and I consider OT threads to be good entertainment unless they offend my delicate political or spiritual sensibilites!

Trius

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com