Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Old 10-12-2012   #81
v_roma

I'm also interested in the dp2m. It seems a shame that they removed the manual focus wheel that was in the previous versions. That was a handy thing to have. You could get the OVF, turn off the LCD, and just use the wheel to set the MF distance for zone focusing.

I'm also struggling with the notion that this camera is really best as a still life camera shot with a tripod. If you're already carrying a tripod, doesn't that negate the small size advantage of the camera?

Old 10-12-2012   #82
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_roma View Post
I'm also interested in the dp2m. It seems a shame that they removed the manual focus wheel that was in the previous versions. That was a handy thing to have. You could get the OVF, turn off the LCD, and just use the wheel to set the MF distance for zone focusing.
Are you sure the manual focus ring around the lens doesn't allow for the same functionality?

Quote:
I'm also struggling with the notion that this camera is really best as a still life camera shot with a tripod. If you're already carrying a tripod, doesn't that negate the small size advantage of the camera?
Get the dslr version then.

Old 10-12-2012   #83
d_ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_roma View Post

I have mine (DP2M) now, and can say you don't need a tripod, but if you do use one you will be rewarded for the effort!

I have shot everything so far handheld and the files are phenomenal! the auto focus is not an issue to me as some have mentioned, and the manual focus ring on the lens instead of the wheel, which I also like on the DP2, is really good when you get used to it. The battery is the only issue, but you just need to carry a couple of extras, and the inconvenience of changing batteries is of little consequence when placed against the performance of the camera.

Old 10-12-2012   #84
d_ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Are you sure the manual focus ring around the lens doesn't allow for the same functionality?
The DP2 focus wheel has a distance scale on it, so you could turn the LCD off, but with the Merrill you need the lcd to see the scale.

Old 10-12-2012   #85
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ross View Post
The DP2 focus wheel has a distance scale on it, so you could turn the LCD off, but with the Merrill you need the lcd to see the scale.
I see. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2012   #86
darya150

The images are incredible. AlL cameras have limitations - the M8 has a limited ISO range, the Digilux, with its amazing lens, should really be used at 100 ASA, any higher and you're pushing it! My main concern is PP. I've heard that Sigma has a program to process images. I've also heard it's a PIA to use. Is this true? How difficult is it to use? Are there other ways to post process the Sigma images?

Old 10-12-2012   #87
v_roma

Quote:
Get the dslr version then.
Over twice the cost, excluding lens

I am not trying to say that the DP2M is a bad camera just to argue myself out of buying it. Far from it, whatever issues the camera may or may not have, I think it is well worth the cost on the strength of the sensor and lens alone. I am just trying to understand how I would use it, whether or not it fits my style of shooting and needs, etc.

@darya150 SPP is no LR/PS/etc but I think it is useable, even if to do only initial adjustments and then continue working on the TIFFs using your preferred software. SPP is a free download from the Sigma software. If that is a big factor in your decision on whether or not to get the camera, which I agree it should be, you may want to download it to try it out for yourself. Not sure if there are any Sigma RAW files available for download anywhere but maybe someone in RFF that owns the dp2m would be kind enough to post them somewhere. It would still be useful to hear from any others who have used SPP more extensively to see what their long-term experience has been like.

Old 10-12-2012   #88
d_ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya150 View Post
The images are incredible. AlL cameras have limitations - the M8 has a limited ISO range, the Digilux, with its amazing lens, should really be used at 100 ASA, any higher and you're pushing it! My main concern is PP. I've heard that Sigma has a program to process images. I've also heard it's a PIA to use. Is this true? How difficult is it to use? Are there other ways to post process the Sigma images?
Sigma photo pro is fine, it's maybe a little slow compared to other software, but I have no issue with it, just like the camera itself it's made for a certain type of photographer.

Old 10-12-2012   #89
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ross View Post
Sigma photo pro is fine, it's maybe a little slow compared to other software, but I have no issue with it, just like the camera itself it's made for a certain type of photographer.
Agreed.

I think a lot of the talk about "sluggishnesh" with the Merrills has to be weighed against the simple fact that we are dealing with 45-55mb files!

I find the Sigma SW fine. It will allow export to TIFF for further PP, if one should even find that necessary! The raw files are the cleanest that I have ever experienced.

Old 10-13-2012   #90
d_ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
Agreed.

I think a lot of the talk about "sluggishnesh" with the Merrills has to be weighed against the simple fact that we are dealing with 45-55mb files!

I find the Sigma SW fine. It will allow export to TIFF for further PP, if one should even find that necessary! The raw files are the cleanest that I have ever experienced.
Exactly! to me the Sigma raw files as a starting point are like working with a good film scan. But it can't be expressed strongly enough that this camera is for a certain type of photographer, and if you are that type you couldn't ask for a better camera!

Old 10-14-2012   #91
jsrockit

Noticed B&H has the DP2 in stock. Unfortunately, I don't have time to buy one before going to Japan tomorrow. Hopefully one of you can snatch one up.

Old 10-14-2012   #92
GaryLH

Quote:
Noticed B&H has the DP2 in stock. Unfortunately, I don't have time to buy one before going to Japan tomorrow. Hopefully one of you can snatch one up.
Buy it in Japan....?

Have a fun trip..

Gary

Old 10-19-2012   #93
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Buy it in Japan....?

Have a fun trip..

Gary
Thanks. Got to see it in Osaka today. Bigger than I thought and the AF is slow, but overall, I liked it and will pick one up within the next month or so.

Old 10-19-2012   #94
leicashot

Quote:
Thanks. Got to see it in Osaka today. Bigger than I thought and the AF is slow, but overall, I liked it and will pick one up within the next month or so.
Yeah, I'm seriously considering one too, only which one?

....thinking the DP2

Pulled the trigger already
Old 10-19-2012   #95
GaryLH

Pulled the trigger already

Quote:
My dp2m is suppose to arrive today.

Did it have the new firmware update that is suppose to help af performance?

Gary

Old 10-19-2012   #96
btgc

When people now call Merril model just a DP (instead of DPM), first DP series will become an original DP

Old 10-19-2012   #97
burancap

DP Classic?

Old 10-20-2012   #98
noimmunity
scratch my niche

May I ask someone with the camera to report on the depth of the camera at its deepest dimension, which is to say where the lens is mounted. The published dimensions apparently do not include the lens protrusion. I'd like to know what the depth is from the back of the camera to the front extension of the lens. Thanks in advance!

flickr
Flickr

Old 10-20-2012   #99
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
DP Classic?
Don't mind as long as not DP Jurassic

Old 10-20-2012   #100
leicashot

Where are the DP2M pictures?

Old 10-27-2012   #101
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
Where are the DP2M pictures?
Yes. Where are they? I'll be buying one this week when I get back to the us. But I'm a slow poster.

Old 12-03-2012   #102
d_ross

Some info regarding the battery life. The batteries that came with mine only gave about 25 captures from a full charge, it was cool weather, so I discussed it with the agent here, and they informed me that these batteries improve with a few total discharges and recharges, and now after a few charges I am getting 80 odd captures per charge.

Old 10-14-2013   #103
Lawrence A.

I got a DP2S to try out a Sigma because I couldn't afford the Merrill. I love the camera, limitations (all of which I can live with) notwithstanding, and now hunger for the DP2 Merrill. I have my E-5 for birding, for low light situations, etc. But there are over 300 bright, sunny days a year where I live in the desert Southwestern U.S., and far from needing more high iso performance from the Merrill, I'm disappointed they did away with the iso 50 of the previous models. I use it constantly on my 2S.

Guillevic

Old 10-14-2013   #104
burancap

Having had them, I would stop at the S level if I were to do it again!