Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Other Digital Advanced Fixed Lens Compacts

Old 09-14-2012   #51
AJShepherd

I remember reading something a while ago about the Slow Photography movement, and arguably Sigma make digital cameras for slow photographers.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DP1. Sure, it's not the camera I carry habitually. It's not suitable for action shots, the video feature is laughably pointless, and the battery will go flat in a few days even with the camera switched off, but in the right conditions it gives me images like no other digital camera I've used.

The DP2M is all that, but much higher resolution and a focal length I'd prefer (over a DP1M), so I'd love to get one, but hope they'll come down in price a bit first!

The Sigma DP series does seem to be filed under 'Cult Cameras'.

Old 09-14-2012   #52
lam
Dave

Definitely laughable to compare to an X100, Sony RX-100, RX-1 even S100 in terms of "usability" to the common photographer who wants the BEST camera for ALL situations but as always there are compromises..

That being said I do find the manual focus wheel kinda useful for zone focus like I had done on the M8 and film RF's... no complaints here!

Kinda why I just gave up on trying to find the "best" and concentrated on making the best of what I got.

Old 09-14-2012   #53
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
So, did anyone get one?
Per the multiple posts I have in this thread, I have had mine for almost a month.

Old 09-14-2012   #54
jsrockit

I'm sorry burancap... I just meant anyone else... since you already provided a lot of info. It's good to hear multiple perspectives.

Old 09-14-2012   #55
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
The phrase "[something] has it in *****s refers to a winning hand from a deck of cards".
I understood that... but that is not why ***** is censored here.

Old 09-14-2012   #56
eoeaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugent View Post
I find the complaints about the price odd to say the least, other than the new Sony, it's got the best image quality of any compact, and close to the best of any sub-medium format camera! For less than £1000, it's dirt cheap! So the AF is slow, the m9 doesn't have AF, and we don't mind that.
Just because some cameras can take 9 shots a second, doesn't mean they all have to, we complain about obsolescence, but insist our cameras are as awesome as the latest model, it's not the companies making stuff obsolete,it's us!

Rant over.
To follow-up on this beautiful rant, if focus is one of two biggest complaints, why doesn't sigma make a model with JUST manual focus. And by that, I mean, bring back that good old threaded technology and focus scale. That would probably save on batteries (complaint number 2). Oh, an aperture ring is easy on the electronics. Seems to work well for the Leica M9. I am sure the sigma photographer would appreciate such camera. I know I would. A manually retractable lens (like Elmar) is fun too...

Old 09-15-2012   #57
jsrockit

I'm really into this camera, but I'm just not sure I want to deal with its slowness. This is $1000 that is not easy to spend. Grrr.

Old 09-20-2012   #58
jsrockit

So, anybody else get one yet?

Old 09-20-2012   #59
lam
Dave

I really have no issues with the MF on this camera (DP2x), turning the MF wheel is direct and immediate.. I should shoot a video and you'd probably hear the focus speed I'd imagine the Merrill to be as quick if not faster (and quieter).

The DP2x focuses faster than the S100, and X100 I found out.

and yes $1000 is alot...

Old 09-20-2012   #60
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam View Post
The DP2x focuses faster than the S100, and X100 I found out.
Really? I have not seen that anywhere else. After the FW release?

Old 09-20-2012   #61
lam
Dave

Just in use, I notice the S100 takes a bit to focus on some objects, the Sigma has it's share of clueless moments too; but if you concentrate on vertical edges first it really does a good job. Infact the focus system works great but the screen lags to show you the focused area, hah.

just got mine...
Old 09-21-2012   #62
pan

just got mine...

Hi,

Just got mine. My first impressions :

Slow for focus but good for portrait if people are posing.

Great and accurate colors and very sharp picture out of the camera.

Very light to wear

Battery makes 100-120 pictures

The sigma tool is not confortable especially when you know Lightroom.

here is one exemple that I posted on flickr :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alifeof...n/photostream/

I recommend this camera. I hope to see one day a full-frame dslr using Foveon.

Cyril

Old 09-21-2012   #63
fstops
-

Get this camera and a Tamrac zipshot tripod, go out and shoot as if you're shooting large format film.

This is not an action camera, it needs to be shot at low ISO, with prefocus or MF, and thus with a tripod. With MF you save on battery power as well.

The reason you can pretend its LF is due to the fact that at low ISO the files are so high resolution and sharp that you can upsample them to crazy levels before there is any loss of detail.

Old 09-21-2012   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstops View Post
Get this camera and a Tamrac zipshot tripod, go out and shoot as if you're shooting large format film.

This is not an action camera, it needs to be shot at low ISO, with prefocus or MF, and thus with a tripod. With MF you save on battery power as well.

The reason you can pretend its LF is due to the fact that at low ISO the files are so high resolution and sharp that you can upsample them to crazy levels before there is any loss of detail.
I have to agree fstops... treat it as a still life camera and you'll have the ability to make great photos in a small package.

Old 09-21-2012   #65
rodt16s

Looked on the Merrill flickr group, some very impressive results.

Old 09-22-2012   #66
burancap

fstops/jsrockit sum it up!

Use a tri or monopod and the selftimer.

The results are in the MF/LF league.

I am selling everything but a few sentimental pieces of kit.

GAS has been expelled.

Old 09-22-2012   #67
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
fstops/jsrockit sum it up!

Use a tri or monopod and the selftimer.

The results are in the MF/LF league.

I am selling everything but a few sentimental pieces of kit.

GAS has been expelled.
This can be gas inducing...

Ok guys which Merrill did u get dp1m or dp2m?

Gary

Old 09-23-2012   #68
jsrockit

If I do get one, I will get the DP2. Not many fixed lens 45mm cameras on the market these days. Unique in a way.

Old 09-23-2012   #69
umcelinho
Marcelo

thinking here, a DP1M with the new 2.8 lens and an adapter to get a 21mm fov could be a pretty good ultrawide angle camera, i've been moving towards not fiddling with lens changing on the go and this might be a good solution for that. a 2.8 21mm M lens costs around $1300 with a viewfinder, it's what a DP1M with a wide converter for the LX3 would be.

has anyone already tried that with a DP1M? I've seen samples with a DP1, but the faster lens really makes it quite more interesting for me. maybe even another bigger sensor compact (less expensive)...
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 09-23-2012   #70
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'm really into this camera, but I'm just not sure I want to deal with its slowness.
That's what I thought when I had the chance to shoot with it at the Photokina. Great images, but it's sluggish.
Main Lenses: Fuji, Voigtländer, Leica, Nikkor, Pentax, Sigma etc.
Click me...

Old 09-23-2012   #71
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcelinho View Post
thinking here, a DP1M with the new 2.8 lens and an adapter to get a 21mm fov could be a pretty good ultrawide angle camera, i've been moving towards not fiddling with lens changing on the go and this might be a good solution for that. a 2.8 21mm M lens costs around $1300 with a viewfinder, it's what a DP1M with a wide converter for the LX3 would be.

has anyone already tried that with a DP1M? I've seen samples with a DP1, but the faster lens really makes it quite more interesting for me. maybe even another bigger sensor compact (less expensive)...
I am bit confused, sorry..

Dp1 or dp1m w/sigma wide angle converter or dp1m w/ the lx3 converter? A good quality wide converter would throw me toward the 28

Thanks
Gary

Old 09-23-2012   #72
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
That's what I thought when I had the chance to shoot with it at the Photokina. Great images, but it's sluggish.
How sluggish?... Slower than for example xp1 w/ fw1.0?

Thanks
Gary

Old 09-23-2012   #73
burancap

The more I use it, and get accustomed - the less sluggish it feels.

Keep in mind that the Merrill buffers, so there really is no lag in that department. The focus can hunt w/o stong verticals and/or contrast. That said, when set to manual (zone) focus, there is no issue. I have popped a few accidentals because of this.

After a month or so, my primary gripe remains the battery life and the lack of a VF, electronic or otherwise.

Old 09-23-2012   #74
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
I am bit confused, sorry..

Dp1 or dp1m w/sigma wide angle converter or dp1m w/ the lx3 converter? A good quality wide converter would throw me toward the 28

Thanks
Gary

I've found some posts and photos with the DP1 using the LX3 wide adapter, turns the 28mm into a 22mm. I haven't found any info about a sigma wide converter, but the lx3 one seems to be the one that delivers the best results. there are other adapters that have a wider conversion, but maybe these distort or lower the IQ too much..

i really like shooting with a 12mm on my r-d1, which gets a 18mm field of view, thats why i also thought about the lx7, but from some comparision pics on high iso the small sensor performance really isnt very thrilling.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 09-28-2012   #75
majid
Fazal Majid

I have an original DP1 and I used to have an original DP2, since sold. Loved the image quality, hated the slow AF. Replaced it successively with a Panasonic GF1 (meh), then a Leica X1 (good, but AF too slow, the X2 seems much better) and now a Fuji X100 (great). I'll probably get the DP2M if/when Lightroom support materializes, as using a camera with inadequate workflow is incredibly grating.