Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

Old 10-02-2012   #41
just for everyone's info, epson japan does provide a list of repairs and new parts when they make a repair to your camera. and they don't let you keep the old parts in general.

also you can still buy r-d1's new in japan (r-d1x) so we can count on support lasting for a long time.
Epson R-D1, Ricoh GRD III, Rollei TLR's, Lots of others

Old 10-07-2012   #42
Where do you buy them from and at what cost? If you have a link that would be great thank you very much.
Found one in Malaysia

Old 10-13-2012   #43

Well, at first I don't think it's a shutter problem because I heard the shutter fires loudly and clearly. Shooting with this problem for a while, I kind of get a feeling that the shutter sound is less crisp, kind of muffled, when I take a black exposure. I was able to guess a black exposure 8 out 10 based on the shutter sound. But heck, my rd-1 makes 8 black exposures out of 10 at that stage.

By the way, I got a quote from Epson Japan in about two weeks after I shipped out my RD1. The service is brokered by Japan Exposures. They did charge me a shutter replacement. It's surely expensive but considering the other option is to have a $1000 paperweight...

37,527 (30,740 parts, 5,000 repair, and 1,787 tax)
1,500 (domestic shipping to and from Epson)
3,200 (EMS shipping back)
5,000 (Japan Exposures fee)
2,100 (PayPal fee)

The Paypal fee is waived by paying with gift. Another $30-$50 is also needed to send it to Japan.