Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 09-20-2012   #51
emraphoto

The only gripe I had was that the battery life was balls.

Old 10-14-2012   #52
whtchocla7e

Samsung NX100 + 20-50 + 30/2 + 16/2.5 all for half the price of the Nex-7 body... Everything fits in a jacket (summer is over already)... the battery lasts forever... There's nothing to dislike about this.

Old 01-05-2013   #53
Paul T

Samsung have just announced an updated NX, the 300.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...GA-touchscreen

can't quite tell if the new model takes an EVF.

In the context here of the suggestions that Samsung an't really interested in the enthusiast audience, I found dpreview's mention that Samsung don't hand out review cameras intriguing. I've known this with a few companies - normally the ones who are resistant to feedback, and hate reviewers who have the temerity to criticise.

Interesting that the new version has hybrid AF with phase detect. Would be great to see more manufacturers introduce this.

Old 01-05-2013   #54
btgc

I've considered EX1 as a compact, then cooled down because of Samsung-unrelated reasons. I guess NX-something could be my next APS-C digital. I don't care if they aren't considered a heritage camera maker, as long as they offer good value for reasonable price.

Old 01-05-2013   #55
mep

'sup streetawgs?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFrE...aJOwiQ&index=7

Old 01-05-2013   #56
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
Face it, Samsung's NX line of cameras and lenses has been a catastrophic failure.

No one buys them. I have never seen a person with one.

Yet there is a lot of lenses and bodies to choose from. Still, no one can be bothered.

What the heck did Samsung do wrong? Maybe they should have removed the name Samsung and it would have done better.

1) Lens reputation: despite the use of the Schneider-K brand, whose 35mm and "above" I highly admire and respect, is trash in their (Samsung's) offerings.

2) New lens mount. Bad move. Like Canon's "EOS-M", but at least they're supposed to take the (now-legacy?) EF mount, so it's not a closed system.

3) I've used their products; poor support, horrible user interface design, although everything else is above average (and hence good enough).

Had they used the m4/3 mount, they would have had a better chance. But try convincing a VP whose only experience is delegating work.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-05-2013   #57
j j

Gabriel

1) Does not apply to the NX line. You must be thinking of the old DSLR line of a few years ago.

2) Applies to every APS C mirrorless except Pentax does it not?

Old 01-05-2013   #58
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

I used to have an NX 200, and used it for about six months until recently. I found this Samsung highly under-rated. It is an excellent camera with lots of useful features but at only a fraction of what a Sony would cost.

The 20mp sensor is surprisingly good for such a low-cost camera. It's high ISO abilities are also good- at 1600, it is still free from noise.

The body is very compact. The layout for the controls is very practical. This makes access for changing values also very convenient. Until the NEX 6 or 7 came along, Sony's mirrorless cameras made access to controls very challenging by digging through layers of menus throught just a cursor or two.

The body fits the hands well too. It's so easy to have stable handling just by gripping it. This makes stable shots for movies too.

Lens adaptability was one of the two reservations with it. It takes most of the LTM lenses but not the ones with bulging rears. So my 15mm Heliar was out. And the other was the lack of a provision for electronic viewfinders, making the 3" rear LCD the only easy choice.

However, it did take other lenses easily. The M42 SLR lenses mated easily, making all that one ever wanted with Takumars, Jupiters, and Helioses an easy reality on digital.

The compact light body, and an adapted LTM 28mm made a very small camera which easily fit in the bag. When I had the Samsung, I had it with me almost all the time.

Here are a couple of shots from the Samsung NX200, with a mated M42 1.4/50mm Super Takumar:

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

ZorkiKat.com

Old 01-05-2013   #59
jasonhumor

Their impression to me is more likely gimmicks rather than photography. Ive heard their phot quality seems average these days but not superior even though they have always top resolusion.

Old 01-05-2013   #60
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
1) Does not apply to the NX line. You must be thinking of the old DSLR line of a few years ago.
Correct. I was thinking of that, hence my thinking about their reputation (which by definition involves the past). Samsung-brand (or should I state, "not other brand stated otherwise") glass does not inspire even further confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
2) Applies to every APS C mirrorless except Pentax does it not?
Correct. Other manufacturers have provided adaptors, hence their mounts are not exactly closed mounts. This (Samsung NX) one is.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.

Old 01-05-2013   #61
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorkiKat View Post
Lens adaptability was one of the two reservations with it. It takes most of the LTM lenses but not the ones with bulging rears. So my 15mm Heliar was out. And the other was the lack of a provision for electronic viewfinders, making the 3" rear LCD the only easy choice.

However, it did take other lenses easily. The M42 SLR lenses mated easily, making all that one ever wanted with Takumars, Jupiters, and Helioses an easy reality on digital.

I was not aware that it would take M42 lenses easily; must be quite a task to use it that way, though. My Lumix GF1 with the 90mm Summicron-M is already quite unbalanced, I can't imagine using a M42 Jupiter-9 on the Samsung NX.

Non-DSLR, of course.

Very nice shots, btw.

Old 01-05-2013   #62
Matus

Answer to the original question: I actually do not know whether NX line is a failure as I have never seen sale numbers, but indeed one sees NEX or m4/3 much more often.

So - if the NX is a failure, than it is MARKETING failure. Nothing more or less. The camera - based on what I have read - is quite good. The fact that it does not support M lenses is irrelevant for 99.9% of potential buyers. So I simply think that Samsung underestimated the competitiveness of the mirrorless market and the fact that they do not really have a name like a high-end camera producer.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-05-2013   #63
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
Answer to the original question: I actually do not know whether NX line is a failure as I have never seen sale numbers, but indeed one sees NEX or m4/3 much more often.

So - if the NX is a failure, than it is MARKETING failure. Nothing more or less. The camera - based on what I have read - is quite good. The fact that it does not support M lenses is irrelevant for 99.9% of potential buyers. So I simply think that Samsung underestimated the competitiveness of the mirrorless market and the fact that they do not really have a name like a high-end camera producer.
Well, that or luck. Or of course a combination of the two. Sometimes things just happen.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-05-2013   #64
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
[...]So - if the NX is a failure, than it is MARKETING failure. Nothing more or less. The camera - based on what I have read - is quite good. The fact that it does not support M lenses is irrelevant for 99.9% of potential buyers.[...]
+1
Agreed from the bare numbers. The M lenses users and potential buyers is a small market. But it is a marketing failure - as you mention - to not build a new body capable of taking M lenses. Though the target market of this camera line is not the typical M lens user, the early announcement of Sony (or Fuji) that their new bodies (NEX, X) will adopt to the main stream of small legacy glass was an additional marketing push.

Old 01-06-2013   #65
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
I was not aware that it would take M42 lenses easily; must be quite a task to use it that way, though. My Lumix GF1 with the 90mm Summicron-M is already quite unbalanced, I can't imagine using a M42 Jupiter-9 on the Samsung NX.

Non-DSLR, of course.

Very nice shots, btw.
Thanks Gabriel.

M42 lenses on the Samsung NX200 required no more effort than having these lenses on DSLRs. In fact in many instances, quite easier. The Jupiter-9 (M42) is hardly larger than the Takumar 1.4/50. Having that lens on the NX won't be a struggle.

I've tried the LTM 30 J-9 too, and it also handled quite comfortably on the Samsung.

It was just a matter of gripping both lens and camera in the most natural manner, requiring none of the acrobatic finger movements required by some of the bigger DSLRs.

The most difficult lens, where I actually felt the lack or want of balance, was when I put an M42 400mm lens (the Astranar 'Girl-Watcher' lens from the 1970s) on the NX. The 35cm long lens was too much for the thin bodied CSC Samsung, but nonetheless worked for this moon shot from November 28 last year:

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

ZorkiKat.com

Happy long term user
Old 06-17-2013   #66
Robin P

Thumbs up Happy long term user

Now 11 months since this thread started and I just wanted to note that I am still happy with my Samsung system.
Not tempted yet by the new NX30 although I might sell the NX10 and go back to an NX100 body when they get really cheap - something about that funny looking little camera that endeared it to me.
When I feel the need for something unpredictably different I pop on a PK adapter and an old Cosinon 50mm, ideal for portraits and flowers. I must say that using old lenses with an adapter on the Samsungs is much easier and more successful than any other system I've tried.

Still not tempted to look elsewhere
Old 03-01-2014   #67
Robin P

Still not tempted to look elsewhere

Having Samsung NX lenses that cover a range from 16mm to 200mm (24mm to 300mm equiv.) and now no other system I'm staying with Samsung even if the public doesn't take them seriously as camera makers.
Here's an out of camera jpg from the NX200 and 30mm pancake.

Old 03-01-2014   #68
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin P View Post
Having Samsung NX lenses that cover a range from 16mm to 200mm (24mm to 300mm equiv.) and now no other system I'm staying with Samsung even if the public doesn't take them seriously as camera makers.
Here's an out of camera jpg from the NX200 and 30mm pancake.

Still seems to be working well.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 03-01-2014   #69
Frank Petronio
Upwind of Rochester

If Samsung hired a few internet blowhards to "review" their cameras and paid Amazon to market them then they'd have a winner without any product changes. That's the way it is with digital cameras, they all have huge, unmentioned shortcomings that go unnoticed until you actually get one in hand and find the menu system has no logic or the batteries only last a couple of hours, etc. Somehow DPKenHoffLuminous overlooked that....

For instance, the idiocy of putting a touch screen directly underneath a viewfinder only confirms that the manufacturers - from Japan, China, Korea, or the Moon - don't have a clue.

Old 03-05-2014   #70
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

on tv (in Busan), almost every commercial break had a NX comparison with SONY. it was using outdated marketing terms such as more megapixels. so the marketing is here in their home turf.

however most of what i see on busan streets are canon and nikon black dslrs.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 03-05-2014   #71
Pioneer

Well, it all depends on perspective I guess. They are kicking Apple's behind in the mobile reciever (cell phone) market. And since a bunch of those cameras come with built-in cameras you could say they are also kicking Nikon and Canon's behind as well.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 03-05-2014   #72
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

that is true, most of my students all have samsung or LG as their smartphone.

might be the company i keep, but usually younger people here (women mostly) know more bout and have good impressions of Lumix because of the association with Leica.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 03-06-2014   #73
jsrockit

Fuji, Sony, and Olympus seem to make the more desirable cameras in this category.

Old 03-20-2014   #74
aizan

nothing samsung has made has ever perked my interest, but i was just reading about the nx mini and thought that if they made a higher-end version with a built-in, rangefinder-style evf, i would actually buy that with the 17/1.8.