Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 07-20-2012   #26
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
Samsung... in the states that most likely means a TV to 99% of the people.

Me: I didn't even know they made a camera(s).
and their TVs shine...!

Old 07-20-2012   #27
AJS Lamb

Dear Mr Dexter-Haven,

Sorry to hear B&H let you down. Did you drive all the way from Philadelphia? The NX200 is worth looking around for.

I once bought a lousy batch of 35mm colour neg off B&H. Grrr.

Old 07-20-2012   #28
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Samsung have been "connected" to Schneider in the past.
They could have bought long time "partner" Pentax if only to inherit a legacy, and buy sensor from Sony until they can produce one with superior quality.

In other words, who knows where they dropped the ball.
But dropped the ball they did.

Old 07-20-2012   #29
Vics

I don't know much about digital cameras, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Samsung's WiFi connectivity. That is the one thing that would pull me over from film, once the technology matures. I thing smart phones have it all over other digicams, but what I'd really like is a camera that can upload to the web, rather that a phone or a tablet that can take pictures.

My Flickr

Old 07-20-2012   #30
Avotius
Monster Rancher

I wonder if Samsung would have done better if it said Pentax on the front instead.

That said, my wife and I are totally against Samsung products. I wanted a Samsung Note phone but because it said Samsung, I wouldn't buy it, for that reason alone, because it seems to us every time we think about one of their products, there is some magnificent short sighted problem with it or otherwise its just not competitive.

Old 07-20-2012   #31
aleksanderpolo

It's their arrogance that turn me off:

1. They don't see the need to be compatible with M mount, and decided to part with Pentax, less enthusiast talk about them on various forum and it become a downward spiral.
2. They talked about how they are going to "own" the mirrorless market early on, and falsely advertised how much better their sensor is against m4/3, while in reality their sensor is not particularly good even with the size advantage.

They might have a better sensor now, or have a great line of lens, but I will not buy a Samsung camera. O, and I had a samsung phone that broke within a year, that doesn't help either.

Old 07-21-2012   #32
shadowfox
Personal Photography

I like their newer Galaxy smartphones and their flat TVs (and at our home, we only "upgrade" TV every decade, so I'm pretty selective ).

Old 07-21-2012   #33
J450N

Look familiar?
(hint: it isn't made by Sony.)

Old 07-21-2012   #34
J450N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
I wonder if Samsung would have done better if it said Pentax on the front instead.
Excellent point. I think there are several marketing problems and challenges with the NX. Using the Pentax name may have done nothing but help.

Old 07-21-2012   #35
radical7
Olivier Duong

I liked my nx10, but the glass was horrible. Not for rff type of people. But I bet you if they make a retro look nx it will fly off the shelves

Old 07-21-2012   #36
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I own one digital camera--well, apart from my cell phone--and is is a Samsung. Not an NX. The HZ50W (maybe? not real sure of the model number) and have been very happy with it. Not similar to the NX series in that it is a fixed zoom lens. When I picked it, I was looking for two things: a fairly long zoom ratio and a viewfinder. For this camera I wanted to simplify the kit; as little to carry as I could get. Hence, the zoom lens. And I really can't use a camera without some kind of viewfinder. So, I looked at Canon, Pentax, and Samsung. The Canon and Pentax models that were closest to the Samsung were significantly more money--about $200 more--and not really specced any better. The Canon did have an articulated screen on the back but that wasn't important to me. The Pentax model is, I think, the same cameras as the model I bought with very slight cosmetic differences. My dad did buy the Pentax and likes it.

When the NX cameras came out, I did look at them but am not, yet, needing to replace the camera I have. When I am looking again for another digital, I will look seriously at Samsung.
If I had not already owned a digital, the NX would have been VERY appealing.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 07-27-2012   #37
Robin P

I had a nice comprehensive DSLR system but occasionally wanted to go out with just one small camera - ultimately all the compacts with small sensors disappoint as there's always that nagging feeling of "wish I'd had a better camera with me when I saw that..." So I thought some sort of CSC with a pancake lens might fit the bill.
In the past I owned a Bessa R (M39 LTM) and various lenses but that's long gone so I wasn't looking for legacy lens compatibility.
Having looked very carefully at all the available CSC pankake options I decided on the Samsung 30mm and then found a body to mount it on.
Short end to a long story - my DSLR days are over, all cameras sold and I now have simple system of Samsung NX10 and NX20 bodies, 16mm, 30mm, 20-50mm and 50-200mm lenses. That's it, great image quality, small & light, does 95% of all the photos I'd want to take....ready to sell all those old big camera bags now

Cheers, Robin

Old 07-27-2012   #38
j j

I have the same lenses as Robin. I use them with an NX100.

The 16mm is good (with software adjustments on; distortion is high without), 30mm excellent (out of focus foreground areas can be a bit busy is my only issue) and the 20-50 and 50-200 are both better than typical kit-type lenses.

The NX100 sensor is the same as those in the 14MP Pentax SLRs. Colour is excellent up to 800 and it starts to show noise after that; I use 1600 and 3200 mostly for B&W. I do not like the rapid fall-off in the highlights, but that is common to most sensors and I prefer film for high-key. I would like to have in-body stabilisation.

OP: Starting a thread about cameras and lenses that you have never used made by a company whose products you will not buy seems an odd way to spend your spare time. Why not take up a hobby?

Old 07-27-2012   #39
giellaleafapmu

Is it true that they are not selling? I mean, it is easy to say that they do not sell much in the US or in Europe but I always heard good things about them. It could be true (and if this is the case I guess it is marketing) but it could also be just a perception. Judging from this forum Olympus should be doing fine but we all know that economically the camera section of the company is not exactly doing great and the same applies unfortunately also to the (beloved to many) Leica.

GLF

Old 08-19-2012   #40
agfa100

I would be interested in a Samsung, but I am looking for a mirrorless camera to work with my M lenses. That's why I started with a Nex and now have a Ricoh GXR.
wbill

Old 09-06-2012   #41
ark8012

Quote:
Originally Posted by radical7 View Post
I liked my nx10, but the glass was horrible. Not for rff type of people. But I bet you if they make a retro look nx it will fly off the shelves
I thought their lenses are good, but not camera itself.

Old 09-06-2012   #42
jsrockit

Just not sexy maybe? Shouldn't matter, but it does to many.

Old 09-06-2012   #43
Kent
Finally at home...

Bad international marketing.

If people hear "Samsung" they do not think of cameras. TVs, laptops, smartphone yes, but not cameras - at least here in Germany.
Main Lenses: Fuji, Voigtländer, Leica, Nikkor, Pentax, Sigma etc.
Click me...

Old 09-06-2012   #44
NickTrop

I had a lot of interest in the camera initially. But what I was really "after" was simply a compact version of my film SLR with a "nifty fifty" (50/f1.8 equiv in APS-C and was this too much to ask?) Initially, the Samsung fit the bill with their NX10 offering with their 30mm f2 pancake. I was ready to buy. Actually anxious to buy. However, the camera was never making it to the US. It was in the Asian and European markets for months. I waited, waited. In the interim I learned of the $200 Nikon 35/f1.8. This was a better bargain than the Samsung 30/2. So I went with an entry-level Nikon and the 35/1.8.

So, if I'm a case-study, Samsung missed the boat by not releasing their their camera before competitors moved in and filled the niche they were trying to fill. I still think it's a compelling camera. Might pick up a used one still if I can steal one cheap used in a year or so. These are the kind a solid offerings you can pick up cheap used.

Old 09-09-2012   #45
zuikologist

The NX10 or NX100 with 30/2 pancake is a great alternative to the NEX series.

Slightly old tech sensor but the user interface is better.

Old 09-13-2012   #46
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Has nothing to do with Samsung name really. Sony isn't that far out in this respect.

Pentax, with their ridiculous SLR-flange mirrorless, is not doing any better.

As mentioned they missed the adapter bandwagon. Any mirrorless that can't adapt Leica lenses is doomed on the market.

My Flickr

Old 09-13-2012   #47
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag View Post
As mentioned they missed the adapter bandwagon. Any mirrorless that can't adapt Leica lenses is doomed on the market.
Sort of. In general, it does not seem to be a smart strategy to tie consumers into a new lens system any more - the more so as you cannot hope to win SLR users over to yet another mount. At any rate, Sony, with barely any lenses to their E mount system, have done best so far. But I doubt that the odd few Leica lenses within that potential customer base are the determining factor when selling sub $700 cameras. However, the mere notion that a camera cannot adapt everything will shrink the potential market - and both Pentax and Samsung tripped there, psychologically by excluding LTM, and even more so by effectively excluding the cheap, fast C-mount lenses that seem to be all the rage in Asia.

Old 09-20-2012   #48
zuikologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAN F View Post
Hi,
LTM adapters are available for the Samsung NX cameras but not M bayonet fitting adapters.

They work well with Canon, Leica and some Russian LTM lenses, less so with CV lenses.

Old 09-20-2012   #49

funny thread...i was thinking about contax nx system, which was a failure...

Old 09-20-2012   #50
emraphoto

I used the Samsung ex-1/tl500 for a few years and found it to be a brilliant camera! Well built, fast and a 24mm f1.9 equivalent on the wide end.