Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Why has NX been such a failure?
Old 07-19-2012   #1
Avotius
Monster Rancher

Why has NX been such a failure?

Face it, Samsung's NX line of cameras and lenses has been a catastrophic failure.

No one buys them. I have never seen a person with one.

Yet there is a lot of lenses and bodies to choose from. Still, no one can be bothered.

What the heck did Samsung do wrong? Maybe they should have removed the name Samsung and it would have done better.

Old 07-19-2012   #2
jarski

nobody talks NX here because it does not take M-lenses. "missing open goal" some member commented when specs became public.

but are they doing bad in market in general, hard to say. dont think they differ from Japanese compacts that much.

Old 07-19-2012   #3
Archlich

Because it's Samsung.

Old 07-19-2012   #4
zvos1

Unfortunatelly for Samsung, this market segment has been very competitive lately. There are compacts with better sensors out there, for example Sony with their Nex line.

M4 and some digital stuff

Old 07-19-2012   #5
btgc

I think it's like with cars - people can buy worse vehicle for higher price just because they know name. Yes, Samsung makes also many average compacts, but they aren't average company. I don't know and care if they imitate or innovate, but clearly their EX1 (TL500) and successor model are worth attention, as NX system is. I noticed them in times of rebranded Pentax DSLRs - I don't care if pentaprism says Samsung not Pentax, I'm looking for value and performance not a name.

Old 07-20-2012   #6
AJS Lamb

Maybe it's marketing?

I've just acquired an NX200 (thanks, Robin) and think it's terrific. The 30 mm f2 pancake is a little gem and very competitively priced. What's not to like?

Old 07-20-2012   #7
gavinlg

Actually I tried the original nx10 while a rep was in my local camera store, and it was really pretty nice. Nicely made, nice viewfinder - kind of like a pre-OMD.

When I got home and looked at the files though it put the camera out of my mind. It uses a samsung sensor, and I really didn't like what the jpegs or raw through ACR were giving me. Something off about the color and tones.

Old 07-20-2012   #8
thegman

I suppose there is just no compelling reason to get one. With NEX, there is the tiny size or the high MP of the NEX-7, with m43, there is the range of lenses and the sexiness of some of the Olympus models. With X100, it's sexy with a great finder. Samsung? It just does not have any unique selling point, it's just too "blah".

Maybe once you've owned one a while, you realise it's great, but most people won't even give it a try, I mean, why would you?

Old 07-20-2012   #9
AJS Lamb

The Nex-7 is very, very expensive. The Samsung offers similar performance at a fraction of the price.

It all depends on what you want, of course. I was after a compact body and a small, fast prime.

When I compared various systems, I found it interesting that the NX was so low profile. There is something sexy about some m43 products but 20 meg and a bigger sensor swung it for me.

I've sure that there may be better systems out there but I'm happy with what I have.

Old 07-20-2012   #10
Aristophanes

Samsung sensors have traditionally lagged compared to Sony's, especially at high-ISO.

When that changes (and it will) Samsung will better compete.

Old 07-20-2012   #11
AJS Lamb

"Samsung sensors have traditionally lagged compared to Sony's, especially at high-ISO."

Probably but the superiority comes with a significant price hike.

Old 07-20-2012   #12
Wouter

I have an nx10 with 2/30 and think it's a very good camera with excellent IQ. Even so, I'm selling it and want to buy an X100. Why? The design and ergonomics of the nx10 do not appeal to me - I don't 'connect' to it.

Old 07-20-2012   #13
Bill58
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Because it's Samsung.
You beat me to it.....

Samsung enjoys an unbelievable monopoly in their home market w/ all their products, but can't compete when the going gets tough elsewhere.

Old 07-20-2012   #14
dct

Out of scope because it is technically very complicated to adopt M lenses to a NX body. And other RF lenses as well, I suppose. I don't get it why they didn't look at this point at Samsung... (like Sony, m4/3, Ricoh, Fuji)

Old 07-20-2012   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Sensor and lens quality issues, whether current or past (and affecting the reputation only), aside, its mount is rather an obstacle when it comes to attaching alien manual focus lenses - too deep for Leica or C-mount, too narrow to work around that long flange distance, and not as readily dropping into some dumb "adapter" mode as Sony E cameras.

As the lens adapting geek crowd have been among the most visible early EVIL adopters on the net, alienating them left Samsung without any of the viral marketing push the competition got for free...

Old 07-20-2012   #16
dufffader
Leicanaut/Nikonaut...

Here in Seoul I do see Samsung NX (and other cameras) being used, but not significantly more than other Japanese (or german) brands. I guess it's more heavily promoted over here. But I've never had the chance to ask around why someone would buy Samsung, perhaps that would give some insights.

Old 07-20-2012   #17
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Lamb View Post
The Nex-7 is very, very expensive. The Samsung offers similar performance at a fraction of the price.

It all depends on what you want, of course. I was after a compact body and a small, fast prime.

When I compared various systems, I found it interesting that the NX was so low profile. There is something sexy about some m43 products but 20 meg and a bigger sensor swung it for me.

I've sure that there may be better systems out there but I'm happy with what I have.
I don't question for a second the NX is a great camera, I think it just does not have a "pull" to get in new customers. I'm considering a digital compact system right now, but Samsung just does not make the shortlist, and I can't even explain why!

Old 07-20-2012   #18
richardhkirkando

Pretty obvious.

Old 07-20-2012   #19
AJS Lamb

" I'm considering a digital compact system right now, but Samsung just does not make the shortlist, and I can't even explain why!"

Fair enough! To each his, or her, own.

Before buying I went down to Jessops, on New Oxford street, where the service has improved beyond recognition, and checked out the NX as well as other systems. The NX appealed. Simple as that. Small camera, biggish sensor. Decent price.

However, it's fair to point out that I'm not going to build up a comprehensive system. Got all I need. If I was going to do that perhaps I would have considered other systems/formats etc.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-20-2012   #20
Paddy C
Unused film collector

1. (as already mentioned) it's Samsung (Sony got a pass because of their video heritage, Zeiss affiliation, and the purchase of Minolta's camera division).
2. Crappy sensor. I looked at comparisons early on and wrote it off.
3. It's Samsung.

Old 07-20-2012   #21
johnamazement

I've got an NX100 with the EVF and the 30mm lens. It's a nice compact package after a big DSLR and I love the lens, but I'm waiting for Samsung to catch up with the competition and come up with a body which does better high ISOs and maybe VR/IS.

Old 07-20-2012   #22
AJS Lamb

DP Review gave the NX200 a seriously good review. I realise that this camera dates all the way back to 2011 but I am very forgiving.

Old 07-20-2012   #23
CK Dexter Haven

When the NX10 was first out, i looked at it at the same time i was investigating the Pen and Panasonic mirrorless stuff. I disliked the Olympus and Panny, and liked the Samsung. That they also had a (good) 30/f2 pancake was icing. But, i waited, due to rumors of other impending systems. I'm still waiting.

Last month, i went to B&H, the SUPERstore, to check out the current situation. Saw the Sonys. Saw the Fujis. Still don't like the Olympus (even the OM-D). Still don't like the Panasonics.... Went, specifically to see the NX210... and could NOT find it. It wasn't on display in the central kiosk area. I was told to look at one of the counters. Didn't see it there. The rep behind that counter told me to go look in the 'pro' section behind the counter. Didn't see it there, either. I ended up just leaving. It might be a great camera, but when even B&H makes it impossible to see, it doesn't seem the system is being supported, retail-wise, well enough to survive in this market.

It's a shame, as the new bodies look sorta like the NEX, but with the advantage of that great small lens....

Old 07-20-2012   #24
kshapero
Photo guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Lamb View Post
"Samsung sensors have traditionally lagged compared to Sony's, especially at high-ISO."

Probably but the superiority comes with a significant price hike.
I though they both use the exact same Sony sensor, no?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 07-20-2012   #25
burancap

Samsung... in the states that most likely means a TV to 99% of the people.

Me: I didn't even know they made a camera(s).