Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Leica X1, X2 Tips and Recommendations
Old 06-23-2012   #1
dave lackey

Leica X1, X2 Tips and Recommendations

This thread is for users of the Leica X cameras to post their tips and recommendations for others to pick up on...POST YOURS!

Here's a couple from me:

The first tip is using the Op-Tech finger cuff ($3.75 at B&H!!!) and is perfect for carrying without the loooong wrist straps. Stealth indeed. Also works for other cameras too.

The second tip is:

Try these neck straps if the A&A silk straps are too expensive:

http://lancecamerastraps.com/nonadjust-neck-strap/

Dave

Old 06-23-2012   #2
dave lackey

Want to do macro? or just use filters?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIWIFOTOS-Le...-/110886764139

Using this extension tube, a cheap step-up ring and close-up filters, you too can have a good macro kit. For little money!

Dave

Old 06-23-2012   #3
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

It is widely known and I guess Leica could block it in future updates, but for the sake of building this thread:

You can use Olympus VF2 EVF on X2.

I got mine for $160 used instead of Leica one which is sold for $522.

b/w japanese dude.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Sug on G+ | Portfolio (beta)

Old 06-23-2012   #4
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
It is widely known and I guess Leica could block it in future updates, but for the sake of building this thread:

You can use Olympus VF2 EVF on X2.

I got mine for $160 used instead of Leica one which is sold for $522.

That looks so cool!

Dave

Old 06-24-2012   #5
robert blu
quiet photographer

After 1 1/2 year with the x1 my suggestion to get good photos is shoot, shoot and shoot again. It's a simple camera but practice and experiencing different settings is the key to understand the subtle soul she has.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-24-2012   #6
dave lackey

Thank you! Robert....

Dave

Old 06-24-2012   #7
dave lackey

How do you carry/store your battery charger? Loose in your bag? In a small plastic bag?

A few months ago, I picked up a small Nikon Coolpix leather camera case at a local camera shop who happened to have a couple hundred in buckets all for sale for $5.00! Real leather with a magnetic cover and the perfect size (just about a custom fit) to put the battery charger in it and a slot in the side that I slide the two-prong electrical connection into it. Elegant fit and solution for when I put it in my bag.

It also goes on your belt, not that I need to but it is a very nice leather case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leather Charger Case 1 rff.jpg (52.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Leather Charger Case 2 rff.jpg (40.2 KB, 329 views)

Dave

Old 06-24-2012   #8
jippiejee

I highly recommend the Leica X1/2 handgrip (identical). Not only giving it more grip, but it supplies the camera a real sturdy bottom plate and protects the battery and sd card door.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 06-26-2012   #9
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

A tip which might be obvious but I just found out today:

In default setting, LCD is always on until preset time out happens. With "Opt. Viewfinder" turned on, LCD is powered off until you pull up the menu, settings etc. If you push the Info bottom with Opt. VF turned on, you can now toggle through a few LCD viewing options as well as LCD tuned off. Very handy.

b/w japanese dude.

Old 06-27-2012   #10
dave lackey

Quote:

In default setting, LCD is always on until preset time out happens. With "Opt. Viewfinder" turned on, LCD is powered off until you pull up the menu, settings etc. If you push the Info bottom with Opt. VF turned on, you can now toggle through a few LCD viewing options as well as LCD tuned off. Very handy.
Yes! I found this out and it really makes the camera even more Barnack-like!

Dave

Old 06-27-2012   #11
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:

Great! Thanks!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-27-2012   #12
dave lackey

Anyone else think that Leica should have more/larger/classy engraving on the top plate?

Seems a bit small and bland to me...

My recommendation to Leica would be a similar engraving treatment as found on the Barnack cameras.

Dave

Old 06-27-2012   #13
jsrockit

That would be nice Dave... it's a pretty beautiful camera already, but that would put it over the top.

Old 07-02-2012   #14
dave lackey

Gotta admit that this bag appears to be the right size, still expensive though:

http://www.adorama.com/images/300x300/ILCSCSX1.jpg

Anyone using this? Will two X cameras fit?

Dave

Old 07-02-2012   #15
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Pro Tip: CV 28/35 mini viewfinder looks awesome on it.

And, although I personally like the aesthetics of X1's flat hot-shoe height better, X2's elevated hot-shoe mount clears the VF view with Kiwi tube / filter attached.

b/w japanese dude.

Re-visit
Old 11-01-2012   #16
dave lackey

Re-visit

A few things have become clear over the last six months.

1. The X1 does NOT need a neckstrap, Gordy's wrist strap or anything else other than the Op-Tech Thumb cuff. It has served me very well for many months and will pick up several more...at $3.95/ea.!!!

2. The lens cap is now tethered to the camera with a short lead. I gave up on the sticky tape and super glued it to the cap. Now it is a heavy-duty solution that looks good and is quite functional. Also, in case I do lose the cap, I have a name and address "sticky" stuck to it and to the bottom of the camera.

3. Sometimes I just carry the camera in the leather case. Most often, I carry it in it's A&A half case in my pants pocket/jacket/sport coat/ or even a mini waist pack. Within minutes, I forget I even have it with me.

4. Using the LCD has become the easiest way for me to use the camera and that is difficult for a dedicated optical VF user like me to admit. It is still difficult to see it in bright light and that is when I pull out the old OVF. I don't use it much, though.

5. Flash is good on the X1. But I am getting much better with a swivel/rotating/zoom Nikon flash.

6. Eye-fi card and an Ipad mini are next....just gotta sell some stuff first.

7. Macro works well with close-up lenses and even a magnifying glass....

Keep on truckin' !!! This is a great camera for me.

Dave

Old 11-01-2012   #17
jsrockit

Glad to see you back Dave. Hope all is well.

Old 11-04-2012   #18
gilpen123
Gil

Have a question, is the whining noise as the X2 focuses normal? Just curious as I read some concerns on this. Does the X1 do this also? I'm very near deciding to jump but still getting feedbacks from the net.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 11-04-2012   #19
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
Have a question, is the whining noise as the X2 focuses normal? Just curious as I read some concerns on this. Does the X1 do this also? I'm very near deciding to jump but still getting feedbacks from the net.
In AF, it makes a noise..not a whine...more of a mechanical movement noise as it moves in and out before it locks focus. No noise at all and zero shutter lag on MF and scale focus. I look at it as an audible confirmation to me that the focus is not locked and I must wait a fraction of a second or so. Not an issue for me as I don't need action shot capabilities and I am not the "decisive moment" kind of person that is looking for the holy grail of street photos. Nor do I do motorsports, baseball, soccer, football, basketball or any of the other action endeavors for pay...not anymore, BTDT.

If the noise is really an issue, one only needs to pre-focus the AF and it doesn't "hunt" or make as much noise with much shorter shutter lag.

Not an issue for me as it has to do that when it extends. I noticed it at first but after a couple of days 8 months ago, I didn't notice it at all.

The thing is, it is a fixed, extendable lens that allows full pocketability. My IIIF is disappointing with a fixed lens as it does not fit any pocket whatsoever. I don't use it much because of that. The X1 is in my pocket all the time and no one knows it is in my chest pocket of my suite, nor in my CK jeans, nor in my cargo shorts when I am out in hot weather.

Sure, 95% of what you hear on RFF or the web is that it is not perfect, there is something better, there is something cheaper, there is something with more bells and whistles, etc. I, for one, am extremely pleased with the X1 and I am learning a lot with the camera. I simply love using it!

I figure about two more years and I will have explored it's capability envelope, at least as far as my own skills are concerned. By then, I will have completed numerous documentaries, portraits and architectural gigs. As an artist, I am finding a lot of ways to use this remarkable camera.

Does it sound like I don't care about others' opinions? If so, then it would be correct. The Leica X just works for me like no other camera and I hope to get a second body one day and integrate the shooting in a system that will include slave flashes, more studio work, an Ipad, filters, gels, Eye-fi, another small compact Leica with telephoto, and whatever else I can come up with!

Dave

Old 11-04-2012   #20
gilpen123
Gil

Dave just browsing the web to check out but not necessarily believe all of it. The OMD does that all the time and it didn't bother me. I just want some information good or bad which will help me decide before I jump, at the end of the day it is me who will give it a go-no-go. Cheers!

Old 11-04-2012   #21
gilpen123
Gil

I think this camera will serve my purpose though. Looking at all the tips and recommendations I can find in preparation for owning the X.

Old 11-04-2012   #22
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
I think this camera will serve my purpose though. Looking at all the tips and recommendations I can find in preparation for owning the X.
I enjoy the X2 for casual picture taking ... It's in my bag a lot of the time.

I fit mine with a Voightländer OVF, an A&A half case, a self-opening lens cap, and a street strap the day I got it. That's how I use it. Fit a 32G card and just shoot away... :-)

G

Old 11-04-2012   #23
dave lackey

Quote:
Dave just browsing the web to check out but not necessarily believe all of it. The OMD does that all the time and it didn't bother me. I just want some information good or bad which will help me decide before I jump, at the end of the day it is me who will give it a go-no-go. Cheers!
Yep, always good to check and I did that. For me, if a friend and local RFF member didn't have one for me to try, though, I would not have bought one and would likely have sold all my film gear to get a used M8... without a lens and then save up a year to get a lens.

However, once I used it, I knew immediately that it worked for me.

So, we'll try to give you as much in the way of answers (according to us anyway).

BTW, for me to go from the M3 and the R4, it was a huge stretch for me because I have always used the big Nikon D bodies for the 12 years previously and never a 35mm. Wow, what a different pov... I'm good with it now but when I go back to the 50 mm Summarit on the M3, I feel like I am back home again.

I am happy to find I am still crazy after all these years... but if you decide on an X-body, we will be interested to see your images as there are so many different looks from other users such as on Flickriver.

Dave

Old 12-05-2012   #24
gilpen123
Gil

The A&A leather half case fits the X2 very well. Highly recommended.

Old 01-12-2013   #25
gilpen123
Gil

Got my Thumbie grip and it's a nice addition to the X1/X2. Gives me a steadier hold without too much protrusion like the Thumbs Up.