You're correct Colyn. After removing the bottom plate, both battery terminal wires were corroded and literally broke off while trying to clean them with viniger and a
Q-Tip. I did manage to solder an extension to the red terminal wire, but the black terminal wire was so brittle that it broke below the caseing and I'm not sure how to get at it. I think I'll have to peel back the covering and open up the front of the camera and see if I can get at the broken wire to resolder an extension on it, but right now I've got too man irons in the fire, so on the shelf it goes for a week or more. I think that resoldering a extension wire on them and then soldering them to the battery terminals may bring about some good results - at least I hope so!