Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Old 05-18-2012   #51
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Just curious, why two X1's?
Backup. One for color, one for black and white. One to give an assistant when on a documentary project. Lots of reasons.

I now carry two cameras with me when working and I prefer the cameras to be as similar as possible. I like a black camera for black and white and a silver camera for color images.

It is foolish for me to not have options after going on location with associated costs or meeting clients only to have an equipment issue.

Not only that, but when I do a project, I do not mix film images with digital images, so, the M3 and other film cameras just do not fit for me when I am working on a "digital project". Keep in mind, this is a long-term plan due to financial constraints. The costs of X1 cameras have dropped dramatically and when it is possible to confirm my projects which will include the cost of gear acquisition, then, I can move forward.

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
John,

Just got an answer from B&H, they do not have a shipping date yet.
Thanks. A few months away I guess.

Old 05-18-2012   #53
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Thanks. A few months away I guess.

The word on the "street" is by the end of May or middle of June. That's not bad!

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #54
dave lackey

Quote:
Backup. One for color, one for black and white. One to give an assistant when on a documentary project. Lots of reasons.

I now carry two cameras with me when working and I prefer the cameras to be as similar as possible. I like a black camera for black and white and a silver camera for color images.

It is foolish for me to not have options after going on location with associated costs or meeting clients only to have an equipment issue.

Not only that, but when I do a project, I do not mix film images with digital images, so, the M3 and other film cameras just do not fit for me when I am working on a "digital project". Keep in mind, this is a long-term plan due to financial constraints. The costs of X1 cameras have dropped dramatically and when it is possible to confirm my projects which will include the cost of gear acquisition, then, I can move forward.
Last Fall I had a "senior duh! moment"... shooting portraits for a friend of mine, I took the R4 and the M3 with the intent of using the R4 to meter especially in backlit situations. Worked okay for a few minutes until the batteries died in the R4, no problem, changed batteries. Shot with the R4, used the meter reading for the M3...and... FAIL!

The R4 was set on the wrong aperture setting and both rolls of film turned out some awful exposure in certain lighting situations! I had not gotten used to the R4 prior to the shoot and somehow the differences had escaped my attention as I was more concerned about composition, etc.

So, with virtually similar cameras, I don't have to think, which is difficult for me to do when shooting anyway. I always try not to think.

On a side note, X1 cameras in good condition are quite affordable, so why not add the cost into the project as it is cheaper than using color film and paying for processing and developing at this point.

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #55
Frank Petronio
Upwind of Rochester

So you haven't owned a X1 yet? Why not just get one to try first, before committing to two?

Doing professional work means having camera redundancy but doing self-assignments and personal work means you can trade that boring redundancy for variety and options. Perhaps a different yet complimentary camera, a different format, focal length, etc.? I know that I can be perfectly happy shooting with the "other camera" while the first is being repaired or replaced.

Old 05-18-2012   #56
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Version Two View Post
So you haven't owned a X1 yet? Why not just get one to try first, before committing to two?

Doing professional work means having camera redundancy but doing self-assignments and personal work means you can trade that boring redundancy for variety and options. Perhaps a different yet complimentary camera, a different format, focal length, etc.?
Yes, Frank, I have been using loaners for about four months now. Thoroughly enjoy this camera! It works well for me as I get used to a 35mm pov.

I gave up DSLRs after a decade + of using them. I hate general P&S cameras but the entire experience of the X1 from the aesthetics, size, IQ and ergonomics works very well for me, enough that I do not care to look at any other cameras.

Down the road, the M bodies may work but I can buy two X1 cameras for far less than an M8 body, not even considering the cost of lenses! Cost is a huge factor for me, that is why I have set up a loaner program just for me...

This is a crop from one of the first images from a friend's X1 on a grey, rainy day in February:

Again, for what I do (small town documentaries), it works very well. And portraits are amazing as well! I simply love the camera.

Another trial shot AFTER the one above, in the rain:

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #57
dave lackey

A quick snapshot while camping before Easter.

No effort at all...no post work...no flash...no sweat.

Since then, I have been working on some creative portraits and hope to post some decent images in the future.

Hopefully, I will be able to rise to this level:

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/lei...l/interesting/

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #58
dave lackey

So who is ordering an X2?

Cheers:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Toast to A Day at the Beach - Destin 2012 rff.jpg (21.3 KB, 282 views)

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #59
jsrockit

I haven't decided yet. Right now I'm very happy with the X-Pro1. I also have the X100 for the times when I would bring the X2. That said, the X2 is ultralight and smaller... the X1 was a great camera to bring with you all day, everyday. Even more so than the X-100. The issue is that the X-Pro1 has made the M9 superflous for me (I think). I'd be smart to sell all of my leica stuff and put the cash in the bank...but maybe that X2's siren call will get the best of me. Sometimes I wish I didn't use the internet.

Old 05-18-2012   #60
dave lackey

Hmmm....X2 Delivered today!!!!

There is a discussion on LUF about a member receiving his X2 and has images of the Oly EVF! yes, it works!

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #61
jsrockit

photo Village in NYC just sent an e-mail saying they have them in stock. Looks like they are being delivered.

Old 05-18-2012   #62
jippiejee

I'd like to upgrade my X1 to the X2. Camera is almost perfect, but when a 4x times faster AF (as rumored) is real, an X2 would seem like a great upgrade. Took out my X1 today again... just because it's such a fun camera to take anywhere. Even for beers...

tasje by aad_b, on Flickr
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 05-18-2012   #63
gnuyork

No X2 for me but I just acquired an almost brand new X1 (black one - matches my M6) for a crazy good deal with the Leica brightline finder both cases, and an extra battery.

yes, the auto focus is slow, but if I can get used to it, I will really like this camera. The few images I have taken with it have been rally outstanding...

My wife actually took this one... I processed it in PS.

Old 05-18-2012   #64
jsrockit

I think I'm going to grab an X2 eventually. Dave, I'm going to sue you for $2000 for planting this into my head!

Old 05-18-2012   #65
dave lackey

Heh, heh.....

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #66
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
No X2 for me but I just acquired an almost brand new X1 (black one - matches my M6) for a crazy good deal with the Leica brightline finder both cases, and an extra battery.

yes, the auto focus is slow, but if I can get used to it, I will really like this camera. The few images I have taken with it have been rally outstanding...

Wow that's horrible vignetting!

Old 05-18-2012   #67
gnuyork

A couple more - just messing around. So far I'm digging the X1 and I have a couple of Canon DSLRS that don't excite me as much.

Old 05-18-2012   #68
dave lackey

Quote:

Congratulations on the X1 and tell your wife she rocks!

Oh, and best regards to the dog!

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #69
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Wow that's horrible vignetting!

I know - terrible!

Have you seen the Portlandia skit called "put a bird on it"? I feel like that with vignettes.

Old 05-18-2012   #70
gnuyork

Quote:
Congratulations on the X1 and tell your wife she rocks!

Oh, and best regards to the dog!
He sits on Greta's gigantic bed. She was our black lab. we lost her about two months ago to lymphoma. Oreo, my wife and I have been pretty down from the loss of her. She was such a great dog and companion to Oreo.

Old 05-18-2012   #71
paulfish4570

cute and capable cam. but for 2 Gs? whoof ...

Old 05-18-2012   #72
gnuyork

I have wanted the X1 since it came out - but I couldn't pay 2k for it - got it for less than $700 including all the accessories, even the leica finder - I couldn't pass that up. I'm happy, happy. I figure worst case scenario I could probably sell it for more than that, but so far it's a keeper. A nice compact digital to go with us on trips. A nice replacement for my wife's digital elph of 2002ish...

Only day three with it so far. I'll try to put it through the paces this weekend if I have time. Got a new 16Gig Sd card for it last night from costco.

Old 05-18-2012   #73
gnuyork

Quote:
A quick snapshot while camping before Easter.

No effort at all...no post work...no flash...no sweat.

Since then, I have been working on some creative portraits and hope to post some decent images in the future.

Hopefully, I will be able to rise to this level:

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/lei...l/interesting/
very nice shot! no post work?

Old 05-18-2012   #74
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
I'd like to upgrade my X1 to the X2. Camera is almost perfect, but when a 4x times faster AF (as rumored) is real, an X2 would seem like a great upgrade. Took out my X1 today again... just because it's such a fun camera to take anywhere. Even for beers...

tasje by aad_b, on Flickr

Sharp as a tack!

Dave

Old 05-18-2012   #75
dave lackey

Quote:
very nice shot! no post work?
Oops, sorry...nothing exposure or crop-wise.
Nothing other than adding a small vignette to complement the dark background.

Dave