Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Old 11-13-2012   #476
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, it's a nice camera with some shortcomings. It's still one of the smallest APS-C cameras out there with one of the best lenses. And, it has dedicated dials.
Heh, yes, and I am about to leave for one of my granddaughter's Thanksgiving programs at Kindergarten. My imperfect Leica will be in my pocket and I am looking forward to yet another opportunity to capture this exquisite little redhead in her own element. Here she is earlier this year without her nap (straight OOC image)...I suspect she will be her energetic, happy self today:

The M3 will stay home as it loaded with black and white film and doesn't fit in my pocket. I had to carry it in my bag all day and night at the ER last night, so smallness is of prime importance today.

Dave

Old 11-13-2012   #477
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
My imperfect Leica will be in my pocket and I am looking forward to yet another opportunity to capture this exquisite little redhead in her own element.
I hope I didn't offend by implying that it is not perfect. I use an even more tempermental camera right now... the Sigma DP2m. I suspect we choose to use these cameras for a reason though.

Quote:
Here she is earlier this year without her nap...I suspect she will be her energetic, happy self today:

Too funny. I love the look of pissed off kids in photos.

Old 11-13-2012   #478
dave lackey

Ha, ha...no, I agree, the X cameras are imperfect. You know you can't offend me. After dealing with heart failure and pneumonia for the past week (my wife's health issues, me...I am just exhausted), I forgot my smiley...

But, yes the X1 is imperfect. My M3 is imperfect, too.

But guess what I choose to use everyday of my life?...and the remaining days are getting shorter and shorter....

But I love to use these two cameras and for me, they simply fit and do what I need.

One day, I hope to have an X2/3/etc. but only when I can't do what I need to have done with what I have. I am happy.

Oh! Regarding the pissed off kid theme...got another one this morning! Just haven't had time to upload with all the doctor stuff today.

Dave

Old 11-13-2012   #479
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Ha, ha...no, I agree, the X cameras are imperfect. You know you can't offend me. After dealing with heart failure and pneumonia for the past week, I forgot my smiley.

So, the X1 is imperfect. My M3 is imperfect.

But guess what I choose to use everyday of my life...and the remaining days are getting shorter and shorter....

But I love to use these two cameras and for me, they simply fit and do what I need.

One day, I hope to have an X2/3/etc. but only when I can't do what I need to have done with what I have. I am happy.

Oh! Regarding the pissed off kid theme...got another one this morning! Just haven't had time to upload with all the doctor stuff today.
...perfection does not belong to this world...
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-13-2012   #480
jsrockit

Quote:
After dealing with heart failure and pneumonia for the past week, I forgot my smiley.
Sorry to hear that Dave. I hope you are feeling better (or as good as can be expected).

Old 11-13-2012   #481
jcrutcher

I'm sorry also Dave, I had heart surgery last month so I know some of what you're going through. I'll pray God looks after you and your wife.

Camera input. I also have a D-Lux 5 (LX3) and it is a super fast camera so the X's will be imperfect compared to that. The other side is the image quality, noise and image size of the X beats the little pannys hands down.

I use a few things to speed it up when I need fast pictures from the X.

Turn off the image stabilizer (it takes 2 images)
Turn off the LCD/EVF, go naked or use an optical finder
Turn off the picture review. takes processing power.
Raise the ISO so I can use F8, then manual focus. This will give you a pretty wide scale focus range.
If I'm worried that focus will not be sharp when using scale I force the flash on to stop the image quicker. This doesn't always work or is possible.

All that said I'm only in this situation 10% of the time I shoot with the X so it has been fun playing around with it.

Cheers!
Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 11-13-2012   #482
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrutcher View Post
I'm sorry also Dave, I had heart surgery last month so I know some of what you're going through. I'll pray God looks after you and your wife.

Camera input. I also have a D-Lux 5 (LX3) and it is a super fast camera so the X's will be imperfect compared to that. The other side is the image quality, noise and image size of the X beats the little pannys hands down.

I use a few things to speed it up when I need fast pictures from the X.

Turn off the image stabilizer (it takes 2 images)
Turn off the LCD/EVF, go naked or use an optical finder
Turn off the picture review. takes processing power.
Raise the ISO so I can use F8, then manual focus. This will give you a pretty wide scale focus range.
If I'm worried that focus will not be sharp when using scale I force the flash on to stop the image quicker. This doesn't always work or is possible.

All that said I'm only in this situation 10% of the time I shoot with the X so it has been fun playing around with it.

Cheers!
Jim
Dang, Jim, sorry I didn't hear about your surgery, my best wishes and prayers are with you. I need to keep in touch more often.

Regarding the DLUX, I would like to think that the new DLux6 could handle those occasions I need a longer lens and maybe I can sell a few things to swing one. Not sure if the IQ is nearly good enough though...can't try one out at any dealers within a day's drive... I love the idea of two small cameras in a small bag/two pockets that will cover my digital needs.

However, as a companion to the X cameras, images such as these are tempting:

http://flickriver.com/search/leica+d-lux+6/recent/

Dave

Old 11-13-2012   #483
jcrutcher

Dave,

I just got a D-Lux 6 yesterday. First impression is it's at least one stop better on noise then the 5. Combine that with F1.4 over the 2.0 on the 5 it should be a good low light shooter. I've loved the 5 for exactly what you're thinking of in combinatin with the X. I'll let you know once I have a chance to shoot it more.
Jim

Old 11-14-2012   #484
jcrutcher

Dave, here is a D-Lux 6 shot. F1.4 1/500 ISO 160 ND filter on.

100 % Crop

Not bad for a compact camera?

Old 11-20-2012   #485
asdzxc

like my x2

Old 11-20-2012   #486
gilpen123
Gil

Can't see the picture.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"