Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 05-10-2012   #241
hteasley
Pupil

Well, I can't call the day a letdown: I have an M9, which I want more than either of the cameras that were announced, so yay me! And I've never bought a new Leica lens, so the astronomical price of the new Summicron also doesn't really matter: yay me again!

If I were made of money, the M9M would be a nice thing to get. But I'm not, and it's not a thing that will tug at my heart, so this is probably the best outcome I could hope for.

The M10 at Photokina, that could cause me some gas, I fear....

Old 05-10-2012   #242
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hteasley View Post
Well, I can't call the day a letdown: I have an M9, which I want more than either of the cameras that were announced, so yay me! And I've never bought a new Leica lens, so the astronomical price of the new Summicron also doesn't really matter: yay me again!

If I were made of money, the M9M would be a nice thing to get. But I'm not, and it's not a thing that will tug at my heart, so this is probably the best outcome I could hope for.

The M10 at Photokina, that could cause me some gas, I fear....

Yes, yay me, too! I can only afford used Leicas so prices don't scare me!!!

Dave

Old 05-10-2012   #243
emayoh
Rangefindered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobYIL View Post
Flash!!! The first firmware update 1.001 has been announced!

Film emulation modes have been extended as to include "Salgado", "Cartier-Bresson", "Ansel Adams", "D76", "Microphen", "Casablanca", "Gone with the Wind" and "Charlie Chaplin" modes.
And, they upload straight to Instagram!!

Old 05-10-2012   #244
zauhar

I do not have a digital camera, and thought that if my ship ever comes in (it's still puttering in the harbor) this could be the thing for me.

I have looked at most of the sample photos in dpreview. I have to say that from my perspective, the tones look like those of failed experiments I have had with film. Are those images approved by Leica? Are the renderings simply bad?

At the moment I will hold tight and treasure my M3 and ca. 1960 Summicron and SuperAngulon, which all together cost a fraction of just the M-M body!

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 05-10-2012   #245
Archlich

So the guy who's been selling a black paint Summicron at GetDPI just pumped the price up from $6,500 to $7,495 "based on new Summmicron ASPH pricing".

Just like the stock market...it will soon turn into a mess.

Old 05-10-2012   #246
tjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh View Post
Got to be wrong. Last time I looked the 50 lux - really great ASPH lens - was $4000!
I missed the APO. I wonder if Leica is planning for 50 Mp sensor in an M!

Old 05-10-2012   #247
jsrockit

I have no issue with the Monochrom M9... but on all other fronts, Leica's gone mad! The way I see it... I'm lucky. They announced three products I don't want.

Old 05-10-2012   #248
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I have no issue with the Monochrom M9... but on all other fronts, Leica's gone mad! The way I see it... I'm lucky. They announced three products I don't want.
Bingo.....

Those who want the B&W M9, go for it - it's priced relatively closely to their other M digital bodies - I would really like to know who's making the sensor AND to see high ISO samples - that's going to be interesting.

The rest of the stuff - I seriously had to stop and catch my breath from laughing so hard.

Cheers,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 05-10-2012   #249
JMQ

At least M9 owners will know that they have another 1-2 years of holding on to their value. Phew!

Old 05-10-2012   #250
gavinlg

$7000 for a 50mm f2. I'm afraid leica has gone mad with power.

Old 05-10-2012   #251
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQ View Post
At least M9 owners will know that they have another 1-2 years of holding on to their value. Phew!
I predict at least 2-3 years.
Based on Leica's past upgrade path the next step is the Monochrom M9-P with sapphire glass and such.

Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 05-10-2012   #252
JMQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
$7000 for a 50mm f2. I'm afraid leica has gone mad with power.
It's what the market will bear. If sales are way below their expectations, then they may have to revise their pricing strategy.

Old 05-10-2012   #253
JMQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsang View Post
I predict at least 2-3 years.
Based on Leica's past upgrade path the next step is the Monochrom M9-P with sapphire glass and such.

Dave
Music to my ears Dave.

Old 05-10-2012   #254
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

This thread has been a lot of fun to read. Thanks to everyone for adding their perspectives -- really made my day! I think I laughed out loud several times.

Personally, I'm going to wait until the release of the rumoured "Leica M9-IR", which eliminates all this visible-spectrum nonsense and takes photos only in the infrared wavelengths. Supposedly the 'Ilford SPX 200' emulation is to die for.

Old 05-10-2012   #255
BobYIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauhar View Post
I have looked at most of the sample photos in dpreview. I have to say that from my perspective, the tones look like those of failed experiments I have had with film. Are those images approved by Leica? Are the renderings simply bad?
When I downloaded the original size of some I was impressed with the details and sharpness.. frankly. However the tones! Exactly the same as what I was getting with #2 Ilfobrom in exhausted Dektol.

I will be waiting patiently until the new owners would come up with far better samples by processing raw files.

Old 05-10-2012   #256
dave lackey

Wow! 268 posts and over 20,000 views today on this thread alone! What a home run Leica could have hit with just a few changes. I love the M9 Monochrom.... but await what they have NOT shown us today.

Dave

Old 05-10-2012   #257
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
This is somewhat low, actually...it might buy a barrel and the front element. The bayonet and the rear elements are extra cost...
It was the price for the box only ...

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 05-10-2012   #258
zauhar

I have to amend my previous remarks - there are some very beautiful images on the Leica forum from their m-m. They indicate that what came out of the camera needed post processing (maybe not a surprise). Perhaps the dpreview authors showed what came straight out of the camera ?

I think the concept is interesting, will look forward to seeing the experiences of RFFers - I am sure some of you will get your hands on one soon.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 05-10-2012   #259
ramosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue

3. take the sapphire LCD glass from the M9-P (but keep using the $2 LCD from a point-and-shoot)
That was my question. All of this and they didn't even upgrade the darn LCD?

Old 05-10-2012   #260
Sunti

Disappointing all around if you ask me. The emperor has gone mad. My $ will continue to go to Fuji this year.

Old 05-10-2012   #261
edftwin
Street Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Black chrome? Seriously?

I'll wait for the black paint version.
Then there will be a special black paint edition....but $1000 more than the normal black chrome version...

Old 05-10-2012   #262
gilpen123
Gil

I'm also lucky as JSRockit that Leica came out with something not in my budget and taste. I may just use a film M if I'm after the B&W only.

I think Epson has to come out with monochrome only RD2 even at 8 Mp $ 2.5K I will be a happy camper.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 05-10-2012   #263
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
I'm also lucky as JSRockit that Leica came out with something not in my budget and taste. I may just use a film M if I'm after the B&W only.

I think Epson has to come out with monochrome only RD2 even at 8 Mp $ 2.5K I will be a happy camper.
How that? Even a new RD1 was more expensive. And that was the price with an almost standard sensor.

Old 05-10-2012   #264
gilpen123
Gil

Only a wishlist Thomas, I got my RD1x used at $2.1K already and it sold brand new at $3K.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 05-11-2012   #265
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosa View Post
That was my question. All of this and they didn't even upgrade the darn LCD?
Why should they... they are just milking more cash out of the M9 while buying time to finish a M10.

Old 05-11-2012   #266
dave lackey

Quote:
Why should they... they are just milking more cash out of the M9 while buying time to finish a M10.
I look forward to the day that an LCD is no longer required, myself. My M3 works just fine without one.

Dave

Old 05-11-2012   #267
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
I look forward to the day that an LCD is no longer required, myself. My M3 works just fine without one.
I wish I could agree...but I've come to find I like the LCD (and "chimping)." I would still use a camera without one, but when I have one, I like it.

Old 05-11-2012   #268
dave lackey

Quote:
I wish I could agree...but I've come to find I like the LCD (and "chimping)." I would still use a camera without one, but when I have one, I like it.
Yes, I understand, but fondling is so limited with a big old flat, cold screen in the way and then, there is the finger-print smudge cleaning.... Where is the warmth of leather?

Not only that, but it is much harder carrying an X1 than a IIIF with that screen and button display in the way.

Dave

Old 05-11-2012   #269
jsrockit

Oh, don't get me wrong... I prefer the no-frills design of older Leica products. I just wish they didn't use film. (jokes)

Old 05-11-2012   #270
gb hill

I couldn't care less what Leica has to offer. My Bessa R has a brighter finder than any leica I've looked through & lighter so I don't feel like I'm luging a brick around all day long. Why spend more on a monochrome M when you can convert a much better b&w in PS. From the snaps in Steve Huff's website with the M9M I've seen better from the Fuji X100. Forget the overpriced Leica crap & buy a Canon or Nikon, It's a much better camera for the 7000 bucks you spend for an M9m. Or better yet save several thousand bucks & buy an X100.

I'd be more interested in seeing the next Bessa or lens that Mr Kobayashi brings out from Cosina.

Old 05-11-2012   #271
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
I couldn't care less what Leica has to offer. My Bessa R has a brighter finder than any leica I've looked through & lighter so I don't feel like I'm luging a brick around all day long. Why spend more on a monochrome M when you can convert a much better b&w in PS. From the snaps in Steve Huff's website with the M9M I've seen better from the Fuji X100. Forget the overpriced Leica crap & buy a Canon or Nikon, It's a much better camera for the 7000 bucks you spend for an M9m. Or better yet save several thousand bucks & buy an X100.

I'd be more interested in seeing the next Bessa or lens that Mr Kobayashi brings out from Cosina.

Bad milk in the cereal for breakfast, Greg? Just kidding!

I understand not "caring" about Leica products, as we all have our own preferences.

Dave

Old 05-11-2012   #272
ramosa

Quote:
You're right. They are doing this. And it's fine with me, as I can't justify a M9M. I look forward to seeing what the M10 will hold ... in the fall ...

Old 05-11-2012   #273
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Bad milk in the cereal for breakfast, Greg?

I understand not "caring" about Leica products, as we all have our own preferences.
No Dave. I see the prices Leica commands for their new toys & see it as ridiculous spending. I know Nikon & Canon's are DSLR's but for the same amount of money you get a far superior product. The M9 is a cool camera but this M9m to me is a joke & a waste of $7000 dollars. These X-2 camera's are made by Panasonic which has the history of being a crap company making crap radios. You can buy better for less money. That was proving with the Leica X-1. I just don't fall for the "Oh it's a Leica so I gotta have it" But that's me! I think one can do better buying other products like Fuji or something else.

Old 05-11-2012   #274
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Why spend more on a monochrome M when you can convert a much better b&w in PS.
I'd give it more time before assuming this Leica offers nothing new.