Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Leica X2...
Old 05-07-2012   #1
jsrockit

Leica X2...

Leica X2:
  • Probably with a new 16MP or 18MP sensor (I assume APS-C, not full frame).
  • The new X2 is rumored to have a Summilux 35mm f/1.4 lens (the X1 had a 24mm Elmarit f/2.8 lens).
  • The price is expected to be $1000 more than the current X1 (or around $3000).
  • Update: the Leica X2 may have an optional EVF. Expected also: improved AF and better LCD screen.
Read more on LeicaRumors.com: http://leicarumors.com/#ixzz1uBW3AW9x

Can this camera succeed?

Old 05-07-2012   #2
jippiejee

I wouldn't be surprised if some details were lost in the whole rumor mill, and that the 35mm summilux will be the effective focal length of the fixed lens on aps-c. So same camera as the X1 with a much faster lens now at f/1.4. Always wondered why a top of the line camera would be released with only f/2.8. Still not sure if I'm interested though, especially if there's no built-in viewfinder.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 05-07-2012   #3
bwcolor

This doesn't make sense, unless 35mm is the effective focal length, or the camera is FF, which is unlikely due to size.

Old 05-07-2012   #4
elmer3.5

Hi, if that camera ever see the light i would like it to have a non extending lens...if so it will be the best!!!

m9 + sonnar zm 50
m3 + rollei sonnar 40
g1 + planar 45

Old 05-07-2012   #5
BobYIL

Hard to believe:

- APS-C 35mm = FF 50mm, less popular FL for this camera category (remember the X100 and others too).

- OTOH, if it would be a FF sensor then will harm the sales of FF-rangefinder sales considerably. Leitz did something similar with the CL, however only to pull the hand-brake a couple of years later as it bombarded the sales of the M5.

- Optional EVF on top of $3000? I can imagine the cost of that EVF if the one by Sony costs $350...

- The same Summilux 35/1.4 Asph. as for the M-models???

(Actually I would love to have an X2 with FF sensor, fast & reliable AF, fixed 35 Summilux to compare to the existing one, all for $3000, however I do not expect it.)

Old 05-07-2012   #6
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

"Can this camera succeed?"

My reflexive answer, given a $3000 price tag is, "No way, no how." But not much of this stuff makes sense to me anymore, so who knows.

I think to myself $3000!?!?! And then I remind myself that that is less than half the cost of a new M9.

Old 05-07-2012   #7
jsrockit

What gets me is that if the X2 is going to cost $3000, and Leica has said they are making an interchangable lens APS-C camera, what's the price of that going to be? $5,000?

So, in 3 days, we'll all see how it'll play out. One thing I'm discovering is that I'm not as enamored with Leica as I was one year ago. Constant huge price increases are getting to be too much.

Old 05-07-2012   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer3.5 View Post
Hi, if that camera ever see the light i would like it to have a non extending lens...if so it will be the best!!!
Yes, they have to get rid of that P&S style retracting lens. However, I believe they have to have a VF included internally to succeed.

Old 05-07-2012   #9
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

It does precisely nothing for me. I bought a Samsung NX10 with a 30mm f2.0 lens for just over $300. There is nothing Leica could do to get me to pay 10x more for a mere stop of extra lens speed. I don't care about what lens magic they use or what black forest in Germany the camera was constructed in.

Old 05-07-2012   #10
huntjump

wont be buying this regardless of what the features are...though $3k seems tough to swallow...but maybe if its FF, OVF, and has a 35 lux on there.

-Adam

Old 05-07-2012   #11
boomguy57

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I know quite a few people who are growing weary of Leica's brand-whoring. Constant price increases (and not incremental ones, either) are hurting people's interest. Also, Fuji is coming out with legitimate alternatives: why would you get this X2 if you can get yourself an X100, which offers more IMO, and Fuji is on top of the software/firmware upgrades?

I was lusting after an M9 only a few short months ago. Now, even if the prices keep falling, I'm really not interested anymore. Unless it's competitively priced with what Fuji (and some others) are offering, I can't justify it. For most of us, budget constraints are real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What gets me is that if the X2 is going to cost $3000, and Leica has said they are making an interchangable lens APS-C camera, what's the price of that going to be? $5,000?

So, in 3 days, we'll all see how it'll play out. One thing I'm discovering is that I'm not as enamored with Leica as I was one year ago. Constant huge price increases are getting to be too much.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 05-07-2012   #12
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Why bemoan? In a couple of days the truth will be told.

Old 05-07-2012   #13
tom.w.bn

If this is true then I hope this is not the only new thing on the 10th. Not interested in that.

Flickr stuff

Old 05-07-2012   #14
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
BTW, didn't Ken Rockwell mention that the IIIF sold for $3500 equivalent in today's dollars?
That's probably the right equiv price. Oh how I wish Leica would sell a true digital barnack with interchangable lenses and similar aesthetics.

Old 05-07-2012   #15
jippiejee

The truth will probably be that Leica has left my planet. When I bought my X1, there was no alternative really. It was a beautiful compact camera with a aps-c sensor and a sharp lens and though not cheap, I bought it used within the first weeks after launch and the costs could be justified since this would be such a great camera for travel and there was hardly anything else offering dslr quality in such a small package. But now? If it comes with an aps-c sensor again, how much better than a Samsung NX or Sony Nex will it really be? It should be full-frame with a fast lens to be relevant at that price point. And even then, it's still a point and shoot. For us$3000...
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Last edited by jippiejee : 05-07-2012 at 12:19. Reason: poetic

Old 05-07-2012   #16
jarski

hmmh fixed prime X2, hope not.. trademark Leica price tag or not, things have changed since X1, when large sensor compacts were rarer.

Old 05-07-2012   #17
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Like most others on this thread, I'll just shake my head and walk away at that price. Just not interested at all. I would sooner take the Fuji X100.

Bob

Old 05-07-2012   #18
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
If this is true then I hope this is not the only new thing on the 10th. Not interested in that.
No, the other side of the rumor is a B&W Full Frame Rangefinder at $9K. It should be $10K based on the date.

Old 05-07-2012   #19
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
No, the other side of the rumor is a B&W Full Frame Rangefinder at $9K. It should be $10K based on the date.
Oh man. A fixed lens compact for 3000 and a b&w rangefinder. If true, then I'm sure they had an internal contest. "Find the smallest market niche you can imagine and we will build products for it."

Flickr stuff

Old 05-07-2012   #20
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post
... Constant price increases (and not incremental ones, either) are hurting people's interest. ... For most of us, budget constraints are real.
I'm reasonably satisfied from my x1 and the external VF. The cost was high. The quality good. But even if 70% of my shots (on film) are with the 35mm lens sometimes using the x1 I miss for the other 30% of shots a longer lens (face portraits etc). Thinking of this IMO 3.000 are too much for a fix lens camera (35 or 50 does not matter).

Anyway I'm curious to know what we'll happen in a few days (announcement and following comments!).

robert, still loving the x1 ...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-07-2012   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
The truth will probably be that Leica has left my planet. When I bought my X1, there was no alternative really. It was a beautiful compact camera with a aps-c sensor and a sharp lens and though not cheap, I bought it used within the first weeks after launch and the costs could be justified since this would be such a great camera for travel and there was hardly anything else offering dslr quality in such a small package. But now? If it comes with an aps-c sensor again, how much better than a Samsung NX or Sony Nex will it really be? It should be full-frame with a fast lens to be relevant at that price point. And even then, it's still a point and shoot. For us$3000...
While I believe it is more than just a P&S, I have to agree with the rest of this. It was exactly why I bought the X1 when it came out. Now the X2 doesn't seem to offer me much.

Old 05-07-2012   #22
huntjump

Ignorant question, is the x1 (and future x2) built in germany or in developing countries where labor is dirt cheap? Seems hard compete with the Sony's of the world when significant differences in labor standards are allowing those mfgs to charge a lot less because they pay a lot less to their assembly line workers. Something to think about...though I still can't afford to sometimes buy the "right thing".

I'm also not a fanboy or arguing that $3k is close to the actual costs, just wondering really.

-Adam

Old 05-07-2012   #23
jippiejee

Most of Leica's 'mechanical' metal labor is done in their Portugal annex. Then the electronics are added and fine-tuned in Germany.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 05-10-2012   #24
noirist

The difference between the f2.8 lens of the X1 and the rumored f1.4 lens of the X2 is potentially immense and worth paying extra for. I would give it serious consideration if the X2 was the same size as the X1 and has a great full frame sensor. Otherwise, you can get the Fuji X100 for 1/3 the price or the Fuji X Pro 1 for 2/3 the price.

Old 05-10-2012   #25
noirist

Whoops I jumped on that rumor too soon.... Leica Rumors is now predicting that "the new Leica X2 will probably have the same 28mm Elmarit lens as in the X1"