Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Fuji X Interchangeable Lens Cameras

X-Pro-1 & Legacy Manual Focus lenses - Are you successful?
Old 05-01-2012   #1
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

X-Pro-1 & Legacy Manual Focus lenses - Are you successful?

Hi, All,

STATUS: Got my tax refund and promptly "invested" it in an X-Pro-1 body (only) and Kipon "Leica M to Fuji X" adapter. ...as a digital back to the wonderful Voigtlander M/LTM lenses I purchased from fellow RFF'ers.

QUESTION: If you are using legacy, manual focus, adapter-attached lenses on an X-Pro-1, is it difficult for you to focus those lenses...using the XP1 viewfinder, the images, etc?

REASON: I'm wondering if my aging eyes are up to the focusing task, albeit with the button-magnified image.

Thank you!

Robt.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 05-01-2012   #2
furcafe

I have the Kipon Contarex-X-Pro adapter & the lenses work fine, but since these are SLR lenses, using them in EVF mode isn't really a stretch.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-01-2012   #3
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Thanks, Mr. FurCafe,

So, you don't find it difficult to focus the lenses? The glass is great, of course...but is it a challenge to USE the old glass on the XP1 body, and still get a crisp focus?

Robt.

Old 05-01-2012   #4
furcafe

It's not hard, though the EVF is "jerky" compared to an old fashioned prism. It's nice that the X-Pro1 gives you the option of magnifying the view for critical focus.

That said, using legacy lenses was not a major reason for me to get the X-Pro1 & I don't see myself using manual focus very often. I anticipate using them mostly for macro, studio, etc., which is a tiny percentage of my photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
Thanks, Mr. FurCafe,

So, you don't find it difficult to focus the lenses? The glass is great, of course...but is it a challenge to USE the old glass on the XP1 body, and still get a crisp focus?

Robt.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-01-2012   #5
PointOmega

I've been using my ZM 21 and summicron 35 on the X-pro. Images are great. The focusing is annoying at first; somewhat jerky, and you need to zoom in for accuracy, which requires pressing down on the control wheel. However, give it a few hours and it will become second nature. The resulting images are more than sharp enough, and the manual lenses give the camera a lot more soul. I have much more fun shooting with legacy glass on the x-pro than with the 35/1.4 and 18/2, although those are simply outstanding.

Old 05-01-2012   #6
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Yes, I am successful.

I find it easier to focus with the X-Pro 1 than a Leica in two scenarios:
1. Low light - the EVF is brighter than the ambient light, so you get a clearer picture.
2. Long focal length lenses. Since you get a magnified image, it is easier to focus, then a tiny frame line.

There is a flickr group that showcases results of legacy lenses on the X-Pro 1

Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4:

Flickr

Blog

Old 05-01-2012   #7
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Hi, Chris,

Those rhinos are incredible animals...

Too bad they're disappearing because a few stupid people think their horns can be ground up and used to treat impotence.

R

Old 05-01-2012   #8
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

I'll ask again here... why?

Even manually focusing the Fuji lenses is a crap shoot. Personally, I think it's futile.

Buy a used M8 instead if you must use M lenses.

Old 05-01-2012   #9
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Uhhh...because I think digital Leica's are an overrated and overpriced product?

How's that for a suitable reply?

To be honest, I did consider it...but I kinda wanted all the odd, fiddly bits that are found in the XP1 menus.

Robt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK View Post

Even manually focusing the Fuji lenses is a crap shoot. Personally, I think it's futile.

Old 05-01-2012   #10
Gazzah
RF newbie

Dave said : "Even manually focusing the Fuji lenses is a crap shoot. Personally, I think it's futile."

manual focus with M lenses is actually far easier than with the Fuji lenses - the throw is so much shorter Vs the Fuji version... I have no problem with M lenses on the XP1, even in very poor light; and as has been stated it is much better for the longer focal length.

Old 05-01-2012   #11
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK View Post

How is it crap shoot? It's not scale focus.

As for why:

Leica M8
  • a 6 year old sensor with noisy results over ISO 800,
  • the need to use IR filters,
  • 6-bit coding required on lenses
  • Loud shutter cocking
  • Cost: $2,200 used
Fuji X Pro-
  • new sensor, with remarkable performance at ISO 6400
  • no need for ir filters or 6-bit coding
  • quiet shutter
  • optical viewfinder magnification
  • Cost: $1,700 new
If Leica made the X Pro1 and charged $3500, people would be hailing it as remarkable camera at such a bargain price.

Flickr

Blog

Old 05-01-2012   #12
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Quote:
Hi, Chris,

Those rhinos are incredible animals...

Too bad they're disappearing because a few stupid people think their horns can be ground up and used to treat impotence.

R
Agreed, plus they go after elephants too. Recently 22 elephants were killed by poachers in a helicopter. They took their tusks and genitals for sale in Asia. It is gross to see the photos.

Flickr

Blog

Old 05-01-2012   #13
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
If Leica made the X Pro1 and charged $3500, people would be hailing it as remarkable camera at such a bargain price.
Well, we will soon find out how much Leica is going to charge for its APS-C interchangable lens camera.

Old 05-01-2012   #14
jippiejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
... If Leica made the X Pro1 and charged $3500, people would be hailing it as remarkable camera at such a bargain price.
Hahah, Leica would never have launched such a faulty beta product. They'd have sent some of those engineers back to the works grinding glass for a week, have halved their salaries and have told them to start all over again until they had a decent reliably working product.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 05-01-2012   #15
jsirevaag

Yes, I am having success with the Leica M glass on the X-Pro 1. I actually enjoy the process, though it is slower to manually focus. I do wish the EVF refreshed faster as, under magnification for critical focus, the bouncy image drags a bit making focusing somewhat more difficult. Here's a sample image, though, for fun.

There's lots more in my Flickr Photostream.

Old 05-01-2012   #16
JHutchins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
Hahah, Leica would never have launched such a faulty beta product. They'd have sent some of those engineers back to the works grinding glass for a week, have halved their salaries and have told them to start all over again until they had a decent reliably working product.

Har de har har

Last edited by JHutchins : 05-01-2012 at 09:15. Reason: It didn't like the word I originally used

Old 05-01-2012   #17
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Quote:
HEY!

I must work for Leica!

Old 05-01-2012   #18
Leica0Series

How are you folks finding the image quality with M lenses, especially the wider ones? I saw earlier stuff about smeary corners, etc., but the people in this thread seem pretty happy.

CV 15/4.5
Avenon 28 f/3.5
Summilux 35 (pre-asph)
Summicron 50 (11817)
Canon 100 3.5 LTM (black and chrome)

Old 05-01-2012   #19
rayfoxlee
Raymondo

I am on a 2 day course with a UK pro photographer in 2 weeks and he tells me that he has 2 X Pro 1 bodies and uses both Leica and Fuji lenses. He seems delighted and says that he has heard of quite a few people who have given up their Leica bodies in favour of the Fuji, but who still use the Leica glass. I will see just what this means in terms of images when I see him. I will report back on what I see.

Ray

Old 05-01-2012   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfoxlee View Post
He seems delighted and says that he has heard of quite a few people who have given up their Leica bodies in favour of the Fuji, but who still use the Leica glass.
Seems strange that not many are satisfied with results from M glass on the X-Pro1, but this guy has heard of quite a few that have already given up? Damn, that was quick.

Old 05-01-2012   #21
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Seems strange that not many are satisfied with results from M glass on the X-Pro1, but this guy has heard of quite a few that have already given up? Damn, that was quick.
I have a confession.

Over the years, I've seen innumerable (i.e., big bunches of) images where folks gripe about soft corners, purple haze, LSD flashbacks, dark shadows, blown highlights, color splotches, noise, and sundry and miscellaneous image poopage.

..and I almost NEVER see what the HELL they are talking about!!

But hey, that's me.

Old 05-01-2012   #22
willie_901

Quote:
Uhhh...because I think digital Leica's are an overrated and overpriced product?

How's that for a suitable reply?

To be honest, I did consider it...but I kinda wanted all the odd, fiddly bits that are found in the XP1 menus.

Robt.
That's a suitable reply as far as I'm concerned. But if I absolutely had to use M mount lenses I would buy a M9. I don't believe M mount lenses are necessary to reach my objectives, so the Fuji systems work for me. Otherwise I'd be lugging a DSLR with a prime lens around every day.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 05-01-2012   #23
mouren

I really don't understand the difficulty with manual focusing Leica or other non-fuji lenses on xp1.

The only tricky thing to focus are wide angle lenses wide open, like my industar 28mm.

I have so far put on Minolta MD lens, Nikon F-Mount, Canon EOS mount, Pentacon 6(via couple of adapters), Leica screwmount and Leica M-Mount lenses. I have not had an issue with focusing.

Focus peaking would be nice, but not a must.

CV 40mm f1.4 and Industar 28mm are my two favorite manual lens to put on my xp1. The CV is very sharp, maybe as sharp as the fuji 35mm f1.4. Industar is not sharp, but it has its own look and feel, I like it. It makes me stop obsessing over if my images are sharp, and really look at the images I shot instead.

Oh Canon 100mm L f2.8 worked great on the xp1, only I wish there is a way to change aperture.

Old 05-01-2012   #24
rbelyell

Quote:
thats a joke, right?? the intro of the m8 was a freaking fiasco, when withiut telling anyone they released a $3500 camera that couldnt properly render BLACK! cmon man!
tony

Old 05-01-2012   #25
scho

It took awhile to get adapted to MF with legacy lenses on the XP1, but with practice it becomes easier. My favorites so far are the Contax G 45 mm Planar, Contax C/Y 28mm, and the Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f/1.7.

Sample form the latter :

TheDailySnap