Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Early or late Rolleiflex 3.5f TLR
Old 03-21-2012   #1
peewee

Early or late Rolleiflex 3.5f TLR

Hi..Is there a difference in optical quality between mint Rolleiflex 3.5F cameras ranging from type 3 early 60's and type 5 early 70's.

Glad of any advice, many thanks.

Old 03-21-2012   #2
kully
Happy Snapper

I had one of each (I still have a very late 'white face' one) and I could not tell the difference.

The only thing I can remember being different was the wind-on lever. The newer one was might light-weight than the older one.

Old 03-21-2012   #3
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

I recall reading that the later cameras had a 6 rather than 5 element planar lens. To what extent this might have affected the optical quality however I know not.

Regards,
D.

Old 03-21-2012   #4
rlouzan

Yes,

I own a type5 Planar and it's actually a warming filter. Sharper than a Blad.

Regards,
Robert

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Hand Made Leather Camera Wrist Straps
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...a-wrist-straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O'K. View Post
I recall reading that the later cameras had a 6 rather than 5 element planar lens. To what extent this might have affected the optical quality however I know not.

Regards,
D.

Old 03-21-2012   #5
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Type 3 was the transitional version. After 2753002 the Planar had six elements. After 2299547 the Xenatar had six elements.

Cal

Old 03-21-2012   #6
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

Thanks. That numbering means mine has 6 elements.

And if the additional element was actually a warm-up filter it would also explain why the camera gives distinctly (er) warmer results than an earlier version I once had...

Regards,
D.

Old 03-21-2012   #7
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O'K. View Post
Thanks. That numbering means mine has 6 elements.

And if the additional element was actually a warm-up filter it would also explain why the camera gives distinctly (er) warmer results than an earlier version I once had...

Regards,
D.
The 3.5F is highly regarded. I own a 3.5F "WhiteFace" that I had Harry Fleenor overhaul and at the same time got a Maxwell screen upgrade. What a camera!

Cal

Old 03-21-2012   #8
peewee

Many thanks for your replies..Does warmer mean better?

Old 03-21-2012   #9
Steve M.

I think warmer just means warmer. I've owned a couple of the Rolleiflex cameras w/ Planars, both early and late, as well as a 2.8 Xenotar. They all were, w/o a doubt, the best lenses I ever shot in medium format, excepting the Heliars on Voigtlander folders. The Heliars aren't necessarily better, they just image w/ more of a 3-D look.

Old 03-21-2012   #10
f16sunshine
Like boots in the dryer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I think warmer just means warmer. I've owned a couple of the Rolleiflex cameras w/ Planars, both early and late, as well as a 2.8 Xenotar. They all were, w/o a doubt, the best lenses I ever shot in medium format, excepting the Heliars on Voigtlander folders. The Heliars aren't necessarily better, they just image w/ more of a 3-D look.
+1
Heliar different not better. The 6x9 aspect and 105mm lens lends to the 3D as well (I love that Bessa ii Heliar).

My favorite Rolleiflex having owned several 3.5 and 2.8 both planar and Xenotar is a D with Xenotar f2.8 it too looks "warmer".

I think as these cameras age and change hands.
The condition of the camera you buy is as important or maybe more important than the minor unique design features of individual models.

Old 03-21-2012   #11
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

"The condition of the camera you buy is as important or maybe more important than the minor unique design features of individual models."

Absolutely.

Regards,
D.

Old 03-21-2012   #12
peewee

Many thanks for the good advice

Old 03-21-2012   #13
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Type 3 was the transitional version. After 2753002 the Planar had six elements. After 2299547 the Xenatar had six elements.

Cal
That's good to know. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012   #14
Sarcophilus Harrisii

There has previously been some discussion about the change to the six element design and the reasons for this on the Rollei list. I can't recall the precise details off the top of my head. Cheaper to manufacture with an additional single piece of glass than corrected bonded pairs, perhaps? It wasn't carried out because the previous versions were considered lacking, I remember that much. If anyone is really interested in the change to the 3.5, the list has more details.
Regards,
Brett

Old 03-21-2012   #15
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

No, the six element Planar and Xenotar have no warming filters. They were new designs, with one element split in two and the flat surfaces cemented together. It's said that this was done to simplify the production, and that the quality was the same as the earlier five element versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlanarXenotar.jpg (56.6 KB, 49 views)

Old 03-21-2012   #16
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No, the six element Planar and Xenotar have no warming filters. They were new designs, with one element split in two and the flat surfaces cemented together. It's said that this was done to simplify the production, and that the quality was the same as the earlier five element versions.
Thanks for posting that! I've seen it before at some point but couldn't recall the precise details.
Regards
Brett

Old 03-22-2012   #17
rlouzan

Hi,

I respectfully disagree, it's a subject that has been disscused to death. The lens diagram shown differs significantly from my particular sample.
I would also check the lens serial n., since many early 3.5F Planar cameras have been factory upgraded to a six element Planar - as in my Rolleiflex TLR.

Regards,
Robert

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Old 03-22-2012   #18
rlouzan

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/001CcP

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/001v5d

Old 03-22-2012   #19
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Marc James Small wrote: "Check out Prochnow 16-369 for diagrams of the 5-element lenses and 16-376 for diagrams of the 6-element designs. There is no "flat glaass color correction filter" in the 6-element lenses: they are both six lenses in four groups. Parker is, at best, a very unreliable source. Marc"

My source is also the Rollei engineer Claus Prochnow, and the drawings of the lenses look correct to me. I have a six element Planar on my 3,5F and had the six element Xenotar on my 3,5 E3. Sadly, Claus Prochnow passed away a couple of years ago, but it's possible that Zeiss can dig in their archives and clear things up. Schneider Kreuznach helped me with info about the old five element Xenar (Rolleis didn't use them, but early Kodak Retinas II cameras did)

Old 03-23-2012   #20
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

I emailed Carl Zeiss and asked about the reason behind the redesign of the 3,5/75 Planar to a six element one. This is the reply I got:

Quote:
Dear Patric,
Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.
Well, the reason for the change of the lens design was an improve of the lens performance (less vignetting, more consistent performance across the image field) as well as an easier production. The splitting of the second lens element into two cemented elements with a plain surface in between is easier in production than the meniscus element.
Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
Bertram Hoenlinger

Old 03-23-2012   #21
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouzan View Post
I respectfully disagree, it's a subject that has been disscused to death. The lens diagram shown differs significantly from my particular sample.
I would also check the lens serial n., since many early 3.5F Planar cameras have been factory upgraded to a six element Planar - as in my Rolleiflex TLR.
Can you show us your 3,5F and its Planar? I doubt that owners had their Rolleiflexes upgraded with a six element lens. That would have been very expensive for minimal gain.

Old 03-23-2012   #22
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Quote:
I emailed Carl Zeiss and asked about the reason behind the redesign of the 3,5/75 Planar to a six element one. This is the reply I got:
Dear Patric,
Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.
Well, the reason for the change of the lens design was an improve of the lens performance (less vignetting, more consistent performance across the image field) as well as an easier production. The splitting of the second lens element into two cemented elements with a plain surface in between is easier in production than the meniscus element.
Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
Bertram Hoenlinger
That is an impressive level of customer service in response to an enquiry about a legacy product. Thanks for passing the information on, too.
Regards,
Brett

Old 03-23-2012   #23
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

Thanks JPD for taking the time to resolve the issue.

Regards,
D.

Old 03-23-2012   #24
rlouzan

Hi,

I'll see if I can post a picture over the weekend. From the Serial numbers Mark James Small confirmed to me that it was a factory upgrade.

Regards,
Robert

Quote:
Can you show us your 3,5F and its Planar? I doubt that owners had their Rolleiflexes upgraded with a six element lens. That would have been very expensive for minimal gain.

Old 03-23-2012   #25
rlouzan

Hi JPD,

As promiseds Rolleiflex TLR 3.5F type2 w/ 6-element Planar (factory upgrade).

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TLR 1.jpg (97.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg TLR 2.jpg (156.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg TLR 3.jpg (104.8 KB, 28 views)